Arnold Rain Garden
Hartwick College is committed to creating and maintaining a sustainable environment. The Arnold Rain Garden is part of a watershed system that assures the careful management of groundwater. The vegetation in this garden is native to this region and the flowering plants have been selected to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
The garden is named for Dr. Henry J. Arnold, the College's third president, for whom Arnold Hall (formerly located on this site) was dedicated in 1959. Having housed the library, chapel and a memorial tower, Arnold Hall was the second building erected on this campus, and served as an academic building from 1968 to 2008.
The Arnold Rain Garden was designed to support the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification of adjacent Golisano Hall. The garden was opened to our community on September 1, 2009. This space provides a place for members of our community to pause and reflect upon the beauty of the Hartwick campus and the Susquehanna Valley.