Funding sustainability initiatives at Hartwick College since 2010
Rolling (first working day of the month, September-May)
Request for Proposals
The Pine Lake Institute for Environmental and Sustainability Studies (PLI) is pleased to announce our Green Grants program to support sustainability initiatives at Hartwick College. The goal of the Green Grants program is to provide students, faculty, and staff a means to promote green living, learning, and working in their residence halls, offices, labs, classrooms, athletic spaces, and across campus. Green Grants fund projects in areas such as energy conservation, green dining, waste minimization, water conservation, alternative transportation, events, competitions, research, and education.
Who is eligible?
All members of the Hartwick community—students, faculty, and staff—can apply for funding.
How much can be requested?
The maximum award which may be requested is $1,000. Awards typically range from $250-500. We encourage cost-sharing and can provide seed money for projects.
What is the deadline and approval process?
Deadline is first working day of each month. Proposals are reviewed by a committee of students, faculty, and staff, and decisions are generally made within two weeks of application.
How do I apply?
Download the Green Grants Application Form, complete, and submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(To download the application form, you must have Adobe Reader.)
What types of projects can be funded?
• Research, scholarship, education, curriculum, creative efforts
• Room, office, building, and outdoor initiatives, contests, events, speakers, etc.
What are the criteria for project proposals?
Green Grants can support a wide variety of projects that may:
• Reduce costs (energy or water saving projects, light bulb exchanges, etc.)
• Promote green behaviors (purchase of recycling bins, recycled paper, etc.)
• Educate the Hartwick community about sustainability (events, workshops, service learning, training initiatives, videos, RA programming, challenges, competitions, etc.)
• Relate to the current campus theme
Previous Green Grants have directly funded or cost-shared:
• Purchase and installation of an energy-saving kiln in the ceramic studio
• Purchase and installation of energy-saving equipment for the furnaces in the glass-blowing studio
• Support for a student-organized 'Fair Trade Fair'
• Installation of water-bottle filling stations in Lambros Arena and Moyer Pool
• Purchase of 30%, 50%, and 100% recycled paper for the Copy Center
• Establishment of perennial flower beds at the West Street entrance
• Installation of bamboo flooring in the Foreman Gallery Mezzanine
• Purchase of solar printmaking equipment and supplies for the printmaking studio
Source of Funding
The “Green Grants” Program is funded through the Pine Lake Activity Fee.
A summary of project and/or use of funds is required. The Pine Lake Institute reserves the right to use the summary materials and photos for promotional purposes.
Limitations to Funding
Funding cannot be used to support salaries, stipends, or benefits for any member of the Hartwick community. All projects must have tangible benefits for Hartwick College.
For More Information