Minutes of HCSC Meeting - January 2009
HARTWICK COLLEGE STAFF COUNCIL
January Meeting Minutes
January 5, 2009
Present: Shirley Georgia, Carla Kinser, Judy Walsh, Dave Moxley, Linda Wells, Barb Konze, Alicia Fish, Mike Haehnel, Jane Bachman, Tara Loewenguth, Colmin Gajadar, Kathleen Traynor
Also Present: Stephanie Brunetta
Meeting Called to order at 9:03 a.m.
- December meeting minutes were accepted as submitted
- August 08 HCSC retreat minutes need to note change for budget of Wellness Fair. The budget of $200 for these events has not been changed per Linda Wells
- A budget reduction request in light of recent economic changes has not yet been discussed. ***Marked as action item for next Executive Committee meeting
Staff Council Budget
Summary Year to Date
Misc, Give-aways, Luncheon
Prof. Development Speakers
Ice Cream Social
Garage Sale Money
- Elections for Staff representative to Enrollment Management Vice President Search Committee were held
o Karen Adolfsen was elected to the post.
2009 Staff Recognition Awards:
- Awards given for Customer Service and Team Player
- Nomination sheets will be put on the shared file for all to view/access. Procedures from last year are in the archive files
- There will not be a cash reward this year and the possibility of Gift Cards will need to be discussed with Payroll re: tax issues
- Nominees will need to be cleared through HR and Cabinet. Will need to be put on the Cabinet agenda for their review.
- Awards will be given at the Mardi Gras luncheon. Members are encouraged to promote the awards in their departments for a stronger nominee pool.
Staff Council Web Page:
- The page on the Shared file has had no input. Use of this sheet and page is encouraged.
Staff Compensation Page on Blackboard:
- HR had a lot of questions about this, issues that will be addressed on it and HR's role in explaining College policies.
- Should be used as a resource for Staff, but questions of updating information and confidentiality of information posted was raised.
o Certain information should be available to all but may not be, depending on departments supervisors and/or Vice Presidents.
o What should be kept password privileged whether on blackboard or the web page and what is to be openly shared? How is this information handled by other institutions with similar resources and how do they address it?
- "Ad Hoc Committee" was suggested to address staff concerns of having a public page on the web vs. more secured shared space on Blackboard. Issues regarding this are to be fleshed out and addressed at next meeting.
o Colmin, Tara, and Barb volunteered to work on this
Middle States Staff Survey:
- Responses showed a perception on campus of women being treated unfairly
- A large percentage of respondents thought they were adequately prepared for their jobs
- Employee evaluations did not get good responses. A new evaluation instrument is being developed.
o A copy of this new instrument was provided to HCSC for review and will be put on the share for members to see
o Comments are invited but SC approval is not required or needed. Per President Drugovich, it will be approved by cabinet.
- Prestige/national image improvement was more needed than campus community
- Assessment was named as a large priority, but it is still not completely understood.
- A large percentage of respondents disagreed that employee recognition was correct
o Respect, evaluations, and job preparedness showed as major issues to employees
- Respect and evaluations are being worked on by SC currently. Council has agreed to keep other issues on the radar, but continue to focus on what we have already started to work on.
- Health Benefits issue was addressed in email from J. Bachman
- HR Meeting discussion report will be emailed to members by Mike Haehnel
Staff Recognition Plaques:
- Staff Recognition Plaques placement:
o Bresee 1st floor wall space to left of Faculty excellence area (near stairwell) has been OK'd for use by Larry Malone
o Display case in Dewar Union OK'd for use by Athletics dept. and Andy Binder. There may be an issue with its use as it may belong to the students since it is in the Student Union. The key to the display case is also missing
§ Bresee Hall 1st floor location was agreed to be the placement area. Vinyl lettering to match what exists in those areas currently was agreed upon as well for continuity purposes.
- Meeting with President Drugovich, Environmental Issues Committee, Budget Advisory Committee, and Retention Task Force Committee reports were issued in print by Mike Haehnel.
- Parking issues discussion was tabled until next meeting
- March and April meeting minutes recording/ distribution will be covered by Jane Bachman (March) and Judy Walsh (April)
- **By-laws change for upcoming elections
- **Sick and vacation time availability on Web Advisor is not current
- **Inaccurate budget numbers listed on Web Advisor for months at a time
o **Items have been marked as agenda items for the next meeting. Reminder to use the share form to raise these issues and any others as well
- Suggestion for questions about the possibility of imminent layoffs on campus and from what departments was raised. SC will convey anxiety about this issue to the President at next meeting with her.
Meeting adjourned 10:05 a.m.