November 4, 2008 meeting minutes
HARTWICK COLLEGE STAFF COUNCIL
November Meeting Minutes
November 4, 2008
Present: Mike Haehnel (chair), Jane Bachman, Alicia Fish, Shirley Georgia, Tara Loewenguth, Suzanne Janitz, Judy Walsh, Linda Wells, Kathleen Traynor, David Moxley, Colmin Gajadar, Kim Noling, Barbara Konze
Member Absent: Carla Kinser
Meeting Called to order at 9:00 a.m.
- A motion to approve the September and October meeting minutes as written was made and passed.
- September minutes have been re-posted to the web.
- $1377.49 is the current balance. $91 was spent on the October luncheon.
Staff Council Budget
Summary Year to Date
Misc Give-aways, Luncheon
Prof. Development Speakers
Ice Cream Social
Garage Sale Money
- Luncheon with former SC members is scheduled for November 20th at Noon. Location TBA
- The Non Fraternization Policy is posted on the Human Resources page of the web. http://www.hartwick.edu/x25119.xml. There is a notation of HCSC endorsement contingent on a provision for due process
- The Staff Council calendar has been forwarded on to President Drugovich. There has been no feedback on the calendar as of yet; it will be discussed at the next meeting with the President.
- HCSC web page needs to be more of a "go to" destination and be more informative regarding committees, policies, etc. No separate pages are needed; just add information to the current page. There were some questions as to how long some information should stay on the page; a lot of the resources offered can be kept in perpetuity. A suggested list of items to be posted may be compiled by email from members
- The HCSC shared folder is to be used for agenda suggestions, etc. and may also be used as a spread sheet for suggestions for the web page. All members and ex-officios have access to this page. Mike H. will email directions for mapping hard drives to access the folder to all members.
- Minutes are to include committee reports to be distributed to staff at large. They should also be posted to the web.
- Recommendations are needed for where to post the 2 Staff Recognition Plaques. Possible locations are Dewar Hall, Yager Hall or the Library. Information from the suggested locations will be solicited and brought back to the group for discussion.
- Intentions for use of the space of the former Arnold Hall are to be discussed at the next meeting with the President as a point of information to address rumors around campus.
- Compensation increases: there has been no change to what has been budgeted. Increases should be issued in late November/early December. 3.5% increases are known at this point, but there is no further information available on "pool" funds and no definitive answer as to what else may be available.
- Disrespectful communication with staff was discussed. There is a negative climate of communication on campus and better explanation of tools and resources available to combat disrespect is needed, specifically in the areas of ombudsperson(s) roles and availability. Human Resources are available to all and are working on a training program for supervisors. Clarification needs to be made to campus community as to what is available to combat disrespect and how it is accessed. The possibility of the Professional Development Committee putting out information about resources was discussed. The conversations regarding this will continue with Mike Haehnel, Kim Noling and Human Resources putting together some information for the campus community.
- Impediments to SC/Staff in general attending President's conversations were addressed. Attendance at these events must be encouraged and supervisors should be making the determinations for who in their departments attend the meetings if need be. Each department needs to be represented and information obtained from these discussions needs to be brought back to the department and discussed with all employees.
- No definite answers have been provided regarding parking issues on campus. Road behind Bresee and Clark will re-open with some parking behind each of the buildings. This issue will be addressed with the President.
- Faculty Salary & Budget committee's posting to Blackboard was discussed with the possibility of it being handled by the Personnel Committee. There was debate as to whether it should be as visible as there is no forum for visibility on the Staff side to match faculty. This issue will also be brought to the President's attention.
- Reports from each of the HCSC committees attached
- The Ad Hoc committee in relation to Staff Survey has not met yet.
- Possible use of garage sale funds to supplement the creation of Emergency Preparedness handbooks was suggested. Estimated cost of the handbook creation was based on in-house cost to produce. Donations to be based on actual production cost and how many handbooks are to be printed. **This was marked as an agenda item for the next meeting.
Meeting adjourned 10:05 a.m.