Minutes of HCSC Meeting: November 15, 2004
President Miller, Larry Malone, Suzanne Gaynor, Stephanie Brunetta, Donna Avery, Dorian Huneke, Tammy Hammon-Card, Bill Beyer, Shirley Georgia, Frank Werdann, Rick Accordino, Gladys Freeland, Nancy Wycoff, Connie Losie, Anne Moriarty, and Ellen Miller
1. President Miller called the meeting to order, welcomed all members of the Staff Council and thanked them all for their willingness to serve on the Council. President Miller called for nominations of a Chair of the Council. Bill Beyer and Frank Werdann were nominated. Frank was elected Chair.
2. President Miller discussed briefly the role of the Council, which included another year being involved in the staff equity process of potential salary adjustments. He explained that in addressing the gap for faculty salary inequities, which amounts to $400,000 - $500,000, this is the 1st year to begin to close that gap. In future years, staff equity would also include merit. President Miller turned the meeting over to Frank Werdann and left.
3. Larry Malone, Faculty Chair, indicated that he was strongly supportive of this group and their potential effectiveness. He said that he would not attend meeting regularly since the group belonged to the staff, but was willing to help in anyway and come to a meeting if the Council felt his presence would be useful. He also encouraged the Council to think about a once a semester meeting of all the Staff, similar to the faculty meetings. At this point Larry left.
4. Chair Werdann read from the by laws to the group that the Council should have 10 meetings per year, generally once a month. He called for nominations for Vice Chair. Bill Beyer was nominated and elected as Vice Chair. Nominations were called for Secretary/Treasurer. Donna Avery was elected.
5. The group decided that the Staff Council will hold its monthly meeting on the 1st Monday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. There was discussion about the different sub-committees of the Council. Several members of the council signed up for the different committees:
- Nominations & Elections: Connie Losie, Nancy Wycoff
- Professional Development: Stephanie Brunetta, Suzanne Gaynor, and Tammy Hammon-Card
- Planning & Events: Gladys Freeland, Shirley Georgia
- Personnel: Donna Avery, Dorian Huneke, Anne Moriarty
6. Chair Werdann will send out an email to all staff announcing the Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary/Treasurer. As well, all staff will be encouraged to join any of the sub-committees. Agenda items should be forwarded to the Chair the Wednesday before the monthly meeting.
7. The Meeting was adjourned at 10:00 a.m.