Minutes of HCSC Meeting: December 5, 2005
Present: Frank Werdann (presiding), Accordino, Avery, Brunetta, Freeland, Gaynor, Georgia, Hammon-Card, Huneke, and Wycoff
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:07 a.m.
2. The minutes of November 7th were approved as previously distributed.
3. It was noted that Faculty Council does not have a budget and therefore has no process for distribution of funds for project support.
4. Stress Relief Day Update
- Everything is pretty well set.
- The Professional Development Committee will get together to stuff the gift bags.
- There will be 50 bags prepared for distribution to those in attendance.
- Suzanne will send out a reminder to Cabinet to encourage and allow employees to attend. ARA employees are notified by postings only (no email) and a poster will be provided for them.
5. Events Committee Update
- Marilyn Nienart, Purchasing Manager, has been invited to participate and work with Gladys Freeland and Shirley Georgia on procuring price quotes for future bus trips. They will work together to provide price quotes for various destinations including the Carousel Mall (Syracuse), Albany, etc.
- Marilyn has already provided rates for NYC weekly and weekend daily trips.
- The Committee will be sending out an email to inquire about trip location interest.
6. Quinquennial Award Update
- President Miller would prefer not to have quinquennial awards tied in with the Holiday Party.
- For this year, award recipients will have lunch with Cabinet member and personal remarks will be given for recipients celebrating 25, 30 and 35 years of service.
- Staff Council members should ask for feedback from recipients regarding this year’s process.
- Fran Borrego, Director of Marketing and Communications will be requested to take photos at the luncheon and submit newspaper comments.
7. Garage Sale Update
- Shirley Georgia will check with Nancy Lehtonen regarding the status of account setups for those participants of the sale.
8. Bill Beyer discussed the possibility of an Enrollment Marketing Presentation for all staff with Patricia Maben, Vice President for Enrollment Management. It will be scheduled for sometime during January Term.
9. Future Agenda Items
a. Election of two staff representatives (from volunteers) for service on the Scholarship Awards Committee. Donna Avery will provide written details of the position and a description of the committee’s business.
b. Staff Council needs replacements for three members.
Frank Werdann will soon be an employee of Barnes and Noble and not Hartwick. Both he and the President have determined that it would be inappropriate for him to continue as Chair of the SC; however, he could still serve as a committee member.
Manny Pelligra, Assistant Director of Admissions, will be leaving Hartwick at the end of December 2005.
Tammy Hammon-Card, Assistant Director of Counseling Services, will be leaving Hartwick during mid-January 2006.
The Nominating Committee (currently consisting of Nancy Wyckoff) will recruit some non-council people to assist her. Nancy will then send out an election email. Stephanie Brunetta will update the election information on the webpage. Staff Council members are also requested to talk with individuals about service.
c. Selling off contents of "Heaven," located on the 4h floor of Bresee Hall. Dorian Huneke will investigate whether there is sufficient interest in holding a sale on some of the inventory located in “Heaven” during Alumni Weekend. Many of the current contents of “Heaven” are past year’s dated alumni holdings. She thought that alumni might have an interest in purchasing these items. Some other Council members felt like it sounded too much like another garage sale and they haven’t yet had sufficient recovery time from the sale last spring.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 9:49 a.m.