Minutes of HCSC Meeting: June 6, 2005
Present: Frank Werdann (presiding), Accordino, Beyer, Brunetta, Freeland, Gaynor, Georgia, Hammond-Card, Losie, Miller, Moriarty, Pelligra, Wycoff
1. Chair Werdann called the meeting to order at 9:03 am.
2. There was a correction of the May 2, 2005 minutes. The time of the professional development fitness program was Thursday May 5 and the location was Eaton Lounge. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes of May 2, 2005 as corrected. The minutes were unanimously approved.
3. Gladys Freeland gave an update on the plans for the upcoming Garage Sale:
- An ad has been placed in the Daily Star.
- She feels confident that we have an adequate number of volunteers lined up.
- Frank felt that, as of yet, there really isn’t much to sell in the Pole Barn but he knows there are several outstanding calls for items to be picked up.
- Frank has arranged for signs and a tent. There will be entertainment on Saturday.
- The committee will meet in the Pole Barn at noon on Thursday, June 9 to start pricing.
4. Chair Werdann opened a discussion about a possible staff recognition program. Some suggestions included:
- Having a formal recognition ceremony for staff
- Establishing a point system
- Highlighting new employees in a publication
- Having nominations come from fellow employees
It was concluded that the Events Committee should take over exploring possible options for a program.
5. Someone asked if we were going to have Summer Coffee Break and while no one had an answer for that, it opened the discussion of summer hours. Some departments implement flex time for their employees while others maintain normal hours (9-5). Long-term employees remembered a time when the college had early closing on Fridays during the summer. It was determined, however, that a summer hours policy should come from the President’s Office.
6. Ellen Miller brought up the issue of the Quinquennial Awards. After the last awards at the Christmas Gathering there were some complaints that the awards were "cheesy". Some of the long-term employees also felt disappointed with the way that the awards were presented. Some suggestions:
- While people can now elect to donate a monetary equivalent of their award to United Way, people who opt for the gift should have a better choice - preferably something with a reference to Hartwick College.
- Some would like to see the awards presentation separate from the Christmas Gathering and have it open only to employees and their families.
- It was also suggested that the longer-term employees get "top billing" at the ceremony.
7. The July meeting will be at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, July 5. The meeting was adjourned at 10:05 a.m.