Minutes of HCSC Meeting: November 7, 2005

Present:   Frank Werdann, Bill Beyer, Stephanie Brunetta, Gladys Freeland, Suzanne Gaynor, Shirley Georgia, Tammy Hammon-Card, Dorian Huneke, Ellen Miller, Anne Moriarty, Nancy Wycoff.

1.   The meeting was called to order at 9:03 a.m.

2.   A motion was made, seconded and approved unanimously to accept the minutes of the October 3, 2005 meeting as previously distributed.

3.   A discussion of the recommendations from the Events Committee for the Holiday Gathering/Awards Ceremony was resumed from the September meeting. There was general agreement that though many of the recommendations may not be able to be considered for this year, there may be time to introduce changes such as recognizing the longest term employees first and  a few personal words for each recipient at this year's Gathering. Frank Werdann, Bill Beyer, and Gladys Freeland will meet with President Miller to discuss that possibility.

4.   Since the Staff Council has funds to work with, we need to establish a process for individuals or committees to request funds from the Council for projects or events. There was some discussion whether or not we accept requests from organizations outside the staff. It was suggested that one of the criteria for the Council funding an event or project be that it falls in line with our mission statement. Frank Werdann suggested that we consider establishing a process similar to that of the Faculty Council. He will look into what that process is.

5.   The Professional Development Committee submitted a request for $275 for a 2-hour Stress Relief Fair on December 7th in Shineman Chapel. The funds will be used for gift bags, prizes, and light refreshments. The event will be held "open house style" with tables for each presenter. HealthLinks offered to participate in the fair and will be the only outside vendor. Ellen Miller cautioned that we may be creating bad feelings by not offering space to other outside vendors. There was also a question about what, if any, procedure the College had for bringing in outside vendors for events. Ellen said she would check into it as a precaution against possible liability issues.  If there is no problem bringing in outside vendors, HealthLinks will have a table and we will extend and invitation to other outside vendors if we have another fair next year. Since time is short and a quorum was not present, we will have an email vote for approving the funds.

6.   There has been some concern among staff with the move away from celebrating Christmas on campus. It was explained that because we are such a diverse campus, we celebrate the Holiday Season rather than any one religious holiday. Dorian Huneke suggested that we have a theme decorating contest sometime in mid-winter to help break up the winter blahs.

7.   Staff in the Business Office suggested the Council sponsor a staff bus trip similar to those sponsored by the Music and Art Departments. The Events Committee will look into costs and feasibility.

8.   As a follow-up to President Miller's talk last month about aligning everyone with management's goals and agendas, Stephanie Brunetta suggested that we invite a Cabinet member to talk with us about Hartwick's marketing plan. Since we all represent Hartwick at some time or other during our interaction with people outside the Hartwick community it would help if we had a better understanding of what those goals are.

9.  The meeting was adjourned at 10:15 am.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Wycoff