Minutes of HCSC Meeting: February 6, 2007
Present: Suzanne Gaynor, Presiding, Stephanie Brunetta, Donna Cahill, Graig Eichler, Colmin Gajadar, Lynn Greenwood, Jamie Jones, Carla Kinser, Dawn Marullo, Anne Moriarty, Eric Nichols, Sara Pickett, Matt Stever
Guest: Denise Wagner
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. The minutes of the January 9, 2006 HCSC meeting were approved as written.
3. Dawn Marullo, of the Nominating committee, reported that they have met with Lynn Greenwood. It was decided to recognize an employee in three categories: team player, consistent long term work, and excellence in customer service. Lynn is looking into a source for prize money. Awards would be awarded once each semester. All of campus (students, faculty and staff) may nominate someone. The nominees will be submitted to Cabinet for approval. Staff Council will vote. More information will be forthcoming from this committee.
3. Nominations for new Staff Council officers must be in by Friday, March 9, 2007.
4. Chair Gaynor reported that, as previously discussed, three Divisional Representatives have agreed to continue for a third year: Colmin Gajadar, Carla Kinser and Shirley Georgia.
5. Once again, a meeting of the By-laws committee (Eric Nichols, Peter Blue and Matt Stever) has been held since the last Council meeting, and a new draft of the Revised Bylaws was presented for our review. A few further changes were suggested, significantly, the addition of language regarding our budget, handling of money, etc. (This was not in the original version of By-Laws because Staff Council, at the beginning, had no funding.) Chair Gaynor will contact Controller Nancy Lehtonen (and cc: Treasurer Shirley Georgia) about the possibility of printing the budget from Web Advisor. Requests for money from our budget should be formalized in writing and go to the Chair. Language to address these issues will be added to the Bylaws and inserted after the "Treasurer" information. The committee will prepare a new draft for further discussion at our next meeting, March 6.
6. Chair Gaynor briefly reviewed President Miller’s memo on morale, identifying several action points, and will prepare a brief reply to him.
7. Next there was a short discussion regarding Quinquennial and Staff Recognition. A reception for staff recognition could be held (comparable to the Faculty Recognition Reception), or awards could be presented at an existing event (coffee hours, Mardi Gras).
8. Self-assessment by Staff Council was recently requested by President Miller. Volunteers for a committee were Stephanie Brunetta, Colmin Gajadar and Suzanne Gaynor.
9. The next meeting of the Hartwick College Staff Council will be Tuesday, March 6, 2006 at 9:00 a.m.
8. This meeting was adjourned at 10:16 a.m.