Minutes of HCSC Meeting: March 6, 2007
Present: Suzanne Gaynor, Presiding; Stephanie Brunetta, Donna Cahill, Graig Eichler, Colmin Gajadar, Shirley Georgia, Lynn Greenwood, Jamie Jones, Carla Kinser, Dawn Marullo, Anne Moriarty, Sara Pickett
Guest: Patricia Knapp
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. The minutes of the February 6, 2006 HCSC meeting were approved as written.
3. VP Finance Search Committee nominees After short discussion, Tom Kelly and Judy Walsh were unanimously chosen to be on the search committee. Chair Gaynor will advise President Miller.
4. Snow and related concerns – After discussion, the following were listed as the salient points of our concerns at times of possible closing or other emergency:
a) Who must report to work?
b) It must be acceptable for any individual employee to decide it is unsafe for them to travel to work.
c) The decision to close must be made early enough to advise even those who leave home early.
d) Telephone is the best point of contact; used by everyone. Radio and e-mail could be additional.
e) Driveways, sidewalks and parking must be cleared if we’re open and expected to report to work.
f) A policy is needed for student parking during snow storms, including provision for J Term travelers’ cars to be moved.
g) Snow banks on corners must be cleared for visibility.
Chair Gaynor will write a memo to President Miller summarizing the above.
5. Divisional appointments extended - As previously discussed, Colmin Gajadar, Carla Kinser and Shirley Georgia have agreed to extend their term for a third year. (This is for the purpose of staggering the term endings for Divisional Representatives.) Chair Gaynor reports that their VPs have approved these extensions.
6. Women’s History Awards – Council members were encouraged to submit nominations for Women’s History Month Awards, in fact, supporting staff recognition by another on-campus source.
7. Stephanie Brunetta suggested that a welcome message to new staff be posted on Staff Council’s page on Hartwick’s website on a regular basis, and possibly linked to the Human Resources page. This met with agreement and she will coordinate with HR.
8. Chair Gaynor briefly opened the floor for feedback from the Executive Board meeting with President Miller on March 2, 2007. One question that arose is – how is information from such meetings communicated to the greater campus population? Further discussion was tabled until next Council meeting.
9. A staff person suggested that Staff Council offer each staff member their choice of an umbrella or a rain poncho as a way of alleviating the frustration of the need to walk from new, far-flung parking area. This topic will be discussed further at our next meeting.
10. Further discussion of By-laws was tabled until next meeting because no members of the By-Law subcommittee are in attendance.
11. Dawn Marullo, of the Nominating subcommittee, reported that there was good response to the request for nominations for new Staff Council officers. More information and opportunity to vote (via Blackboard) will be forthcoming.
12. Dawn also reported on replies to her inquiry regarding the new, additional, recognition of staff members. Responses show a preference for recognition events separate from Quinquennials, but in conjunction with another planned Staff Council event. Further discussion is planned for our next meeting.
13. Treasurer Shirley Georgia reported that our total budget is $1500.00. $412.58 has been spent so far, with Aramark expenses for the Stress Relief Fair not yet included.
14. The next meeting of the Hartwick College Staff Council will be Tuesday, April 3, 2006 at 9:00 a.m.
15. This meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m.