Minutes of HCSC Meeting: November 7, 2006Present: Suzanne Gaynor, Presiding; Donna Cahill, Stephanie Brunetta, Graig Eichler, Colmin Gajadar, Shirley Georgia, Lynn Greenwood, Jamie Jones, Carla Kinser, Dawn Marullo, Anne Moriarty, Eric Nichols, Sara Pickett, Matt Stever
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:03 am.
2. Chair Gaynor welcomed new Director of Human Resources, Lynn Greenwood.
3. A motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the minutes of the October 3, 2006 HCSC meeting.
4. Carla Kinser summarized October meeting discussion and noted that Personnel Committee would soon schedule a meeting with new HR Director Lynn Greenwood. Items for discussion are:
- Salary schedule used to be distributed or available to staff.
- Health insurance concerns include staff frustration with increases in premiums.
- Staff appraisal – performance reviews should be consistent campus-wide. Lynn reported that salary schedules and assessments will be looked at by Cabinet. Performance evaluations are needed for more than raise-related reasons; consistent practices will improve employee moral.
5. As requested by Frank Werdann, a United Way letter has been sent to all staff and faculty by Suzanne Gaynor and Larry Malone from Faculty and Staff Council.
6. There will be a special meeting for discussion of Hartwick’s 2020 study, on Monday, November 13 from 9:30 to 10:30. Council members were urged to attend and read the 32 page planning document (sent as attachment to President Miller’s October 30 memo).
7. This Fall’s pay raise will be 2% across-the-board, with an additional 1.5%, based on equity and merit, at the Vice Presidents’ discretion. Raises are effective November 27, reflected in paychecks on December 8, 2006.
8. Hartwick College Honor Society – People who meet the requirements should contact Harry Matthews, Chair of the Hartwick College Honor Society. The list of requirements for membership will be re-sent via e-mail.
9. Dorienne Rosenberg is Council’s liaison to Student Senate. Suzanne invited Dorienne or a representative from Senate to attend Staff Council meetings, but there has not been a response.
10. Chair Gaynor received an e-mail suggesting amendment of one sentence in the August 2006 minutes. “There is no policy about for which positions there is an open search and for which the search is not open to the Hartwick community” was changed to “There is no policy in place regarding which positions warrant a search that is open to the Hartwick community and which do not.” A motion to approve the change was made, seconded, and approved.
11. Updates on Committees:
Planning and Events – Shirley reported that she has inquired of Marilyn Nienart (Purchasing) about prices for a New York City, wine country, or Turning Stone Casino day trip. She has also contacted Bill Beyer (Technology) about on-line voting for staff preference of trip.
Personnel Committee – Carla reported that they did not meet since last Council meeting.
Bylaws Committee – Matt reported that this committee has not met this month.
Nominating and Elections Committee – Dawn reported that they have not met.
Professional Development – Stephanie reported that the next workshop will be offered by Patricia Maben, on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 from 12:00 until 1:00 p.m. in the Farrington Room. This Committee is also working on the next Stress Relief Fair, tentatively scheduled for December 6. Graig Eichler provided a handout of the request for $313.50 for expenses of the Stress Fair. A motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the proposed expenditures. (Copy of latter, formal e-mail request attached.)
The next regular meeting of the Hartwick College Staff Council will be December 5, 2006 from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. in Eaton Lounge.
This meeting was adjourned at 9:55 a.m.