Minutes of HCSC Meeting: October 3, 2006
Present: Carla Tenace, Presiding, Donna Cahill, Stephanie Brunetta, Graig Eichler, Colmin Gajadar, Shirley Georgia, Jamie Jones, Dawn Marullo, Sara Pickett, Matt Stever
1. The meeting was called to order at 9:00 am.
2. After a short discussion and minor changes, the minutes of the September 12, 2006 HCSC meeting were approved.
3. Vice Chair Tenace reiterated Chair Gaynor’s direction that, at this meeting, we would set goals for the coming year and review the activities of sub-committees.
- Matt Stever reported that the Bylaws Committee met on October 3, 2006 and provided a report of their discussion. (See attached.) Nancy Wycoff met with current members, providing guidance. The action items were clarified as follows:
#1 “Clean up” of existing bylaws will be with regard to verbiage of bylaws.
#2 A new issue will be procedure for replacement of a council member.
- Planning and Events Committee – Shirley Georgia reported that the only pending event is a tentative bus trip. She volunteered to inquire of Bill Beyer about the method of utilizing e-mail for voting.
- Nominating & Recognition Committee – Stephanie noted that Nancy Wycoff ended up alone on the Nominating Committee; that we need to re-examine the nominating process. Also this committee must wait for arrival of new Director of Human Resources Lynn Greenwood on October 23 to meet, make changes, or take any actions.
- Personnel Committee is also awaiting the arrival of HR Director Greenwood. An inquiry was made about Quinquennial. Shirley (Planning and Events Committee) said Suzanne Janitz worked with President Miller for last year’s event; Shirley will ask her about plans for future events.
- Professional Development – New Chair, Graig Eichler, announced the next workshop, a Forum on October 18, and circulated a printout of the Committee’s page from the website (www.hartwick.edu/x18574.xml).
4. It was noted that “Wick 101” events entitled “Meet the Offices” at the Commons on Mondays have begun.
5. Vice Chair Tenace (Personnel Committee) will be sharing our concerns with new HR Director. After some discussion of each, she itemized them as follows:
- Job descriptions and classifications need to be done. Evaluations are encouraged, but are not done by all departments.
- Salary schedule (listing job classifications and salary levels associated with a job) needs to be updated and distributed.
- Health insurance concerns include the increases in premiums, whether Hartwick has mechanisms in place to make decisions about changes in health insurance, and whether Hartwick has recently compared health insurance brokers/providers.
6. The next meeting of the Hartwick College Staff Council will be November 7, 2006 at 9:00 am.
7. This meeting was adjourned at 9:55 am.