Minutes of HCSC Meeting: May 6, 2008
Members Present: Dawn Marullo (presiding), Colmin Gajadar, Shirley Georgia, Mike Haehnel, Carla Kinser, Barbara Konze, Jamie O’Donnell, Matt Sanford, Colleen Seabury, Judy Walsh
Incoming Members: Jane Bachman, Jason Jameson, David Moxley, Linda Wells
Ex-Officio: Suzanne Janitz
Staff: Brian Hagenbuch
Members Absent: Eric Nichols, Matt Stever
1. Call to Order Dawn Marullo called the meeting to order at 9:03 a.m. Dawn welcomed the incoming members, and everyone introduced themselves.
2. Minutes April 1, 2008 meeting minutes – Shirley Georgia made a motion to approve the April meeting minutes. Mike Haehnel seconded the motion. The April minutes stand approved.
3. Treasurer’s Report Staff Council’s current balance is $749.70. The garage sale balance is $2,106.10. Mike Haehnel said that the brick purchase was authorized but has not been posted yet. Shirley Georgia mentioned that funds will be spent on an ice cream social and a coffee hour.
4. New Business Middle States “People” Working Group update – Mike Haehnel shared that the group is working on a draft of a report, and Staff Council will be asked to review it. Staff Council has not received the results of the Staff Survey from February. Mike will follow up and report back to Staff Council.
5. Update for Board of Trustees – Dawn has been asked to present a brief summary of Staff Council’s activities to the Board of Trustees. Dawn asked for feedback regarding Staff Council’s activities this year. Items included the following: Staff Recognition Awards, representation in the interview process for the Presidential Search, appointments to search committees / Inauguration Committee, Wellness Fair, Mardi Gras luncheon, fall tailgate, workshops, Pine Lake Day, and the Personnel Committee’s efforts to reach out to new employees. Carla Kinser mentioned that it might be helpful for Staff Council to keep a running list of items / activities as they occur throughout the year.
6. Pine Lake Picnic – Shirley Georgia said that August 22 at 4 p.m. might be a possible date/time for the picnic. Awakening will be at Pine Lake that weekend.
7. The Ice Cream Social will take place during Commencement week. There was discussion about giving out prizes/gift certificates at the social.
8. There will be a coffee hour in June. Locations for next year’s coffee hours were discussed and included Golisano, Clark, and Johnstone.
9. Brian Hagenbuch shared information about the academic theme of “balance” and the sub-theme of work and life. He said that Pine Lake would be happy to co-sponsor any activities related to the academic theme.
10. President Miller stopped by and thanked Staff Council members for their service this year. He will encourage President Elect Drugovich to continue a working relationship with Staff Council.
11. Arnold Hall – Mike Haehnel brought up a concern from a colleague. Should Staff Council “chime in” on behalf of staff regarding the recent e-mails about the demolition of Arnold Hall? After discussion, it was suggested that Staff Council members can encourage staff to take a voice, but Staff Council will not take a stance on the issue.
12. Assessment of Activities from 2007-08 – Judy Walsh asked about assessment of Staff Council’s goals. Perhaps this can be discussed at the summer retreat. Also, maybe President Elect Drugovich can be invited to the retreat. Further discussion about this topic will take place in June.
13. Old Business Archiving Staff Council documents – Outgoing members can bring documents to the Registrar’s Office for storage. Members should focus on essential items that will be helpful for future members. Perhaps the meeting minutes can be placed on a CD.
14. Updates from Committees
a. Professional Development – Jamie O’Donnell shared that there will be a presentation about identify theft on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Deb Hilts and April Reed will be joining Jamie for the presentation. Jamie hopes this will be the first of many presentations on the topic. There was a suggestion to put the PowerPoint slides on Blackboard so that staff who are unable to attend can view the presentation.
b. Nominating & Elections – Mike Haehnel said that 72 people participated in the At-Large election last month. The At-Large Exempt position had the most nominations.
c. Personnel – There was no meeting this month.
d. Planning & Events – Shirley Georgia said that the committee will meet tomorrow.
15. Adjournment Judy Walsh led the group in thanking outgoing members for their service. The next Staff Council meeting is Tuesday, June 3 at 9:00 a.m. in Eaton Lounge. Meeting adjourned at 10:02 a.m.
Respectfully submitted, Colleen Seabury