Minutes of HCSC Meeting: January 5, 2010
HARTWICK COLLEGE STAFF COUNCIL
January Meeting Minutes
January 5, 2010
Present: Jane Bachman, Ann Carman, Lynda Clark, Alicia Fish, Kate Fitz-Henry, Tara Loewenguth, Allison Spears, Linda Wells
Also Present: Shirley Georgia, Judy Walsh
Meeting Called to order at 9:03 a.m.
Minutes from the December 1, 2009 meeting were previously approved electronically
It was reported that Planning & Events would be using some of the unspent October luncheon money to provide a prize for the Holiday door decorating contest winner.
- Mail issues - Possible solutions
§ Shared responsibility needs to be made clear to entire campus community, responsibility should not fall entirely on support staff such as faculty secretaries.
§ Designate one space per building for person responsible for mail
§ Revisit ARAMark elimination of mail position, possible reinstate minimum of delivery/pick-up person
§ Mail delivery to central location in each building
- HCSC chair and vice-chair monthly meeting with President was canceled for December.
- Ad-Hoc Committee for HCSC Responsibilities (report below)
o Discussion was held on whether at-large representatives should be assigned segments of the community; purpose would be to provide better communication to staff and back to HCSC; would need more defined procedures for divisional and at-large representatives
o Under represented areas should be encouraged to run for HCSC
o Should more clearly define roles of divisional and at-large representatives
o At-large statement in report should be included as a numbered item
- HCSC needs more recognition/acknowledgment from Administration
- It was suggested HCSC formally acknowledge raises, a formal response will be prepared and presented for approval
- Upcoming elections - Nominations & Elections committee are gathering divisional charts and will review for any necessary changes to reorganization on campus
Planning & Events
The Planning and Events committee is happy to say that there were 11 entries in the Door Decorating Contest. Hope you were able to get around and see them, then vote. The winner was the Nursing Department. Again thanks to all that participated. Also thanks to whoever posted them on facebook. We will arrange for their prize probably the beginning of spring term since most are not here this month.
We will be planning Mardi Gras soon.
Ad-hoc - HCSC member responsibilities
HARTWICK COLLEGE STAFF COUNCIL EXPECTATIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
HCSC members are expected to become informed about and remain aware of current college issues, especially those relating to staff. They are expected to relay appropriate information from HCSC meetings to associates, solicit input and feedback from them, and share this (as appropriate) with members of the HCSC.
1. HCSC members are required to participate in at least 7 Staff Council meetings each academic year.
2. HCSC members must serve on at least one standing committee.
3. HCSC members will actively participate in HCSC-sponsored activities.
4. HCSC members will represent staff in the office/division which elected then. When appropriate, they will voice the concerns of their constituency, and bring news of HCSC discussion and actions back to them.
At the start of each academic year HCSC will review the segments of campus represented by current members. At that point, at-large representatives will be assigned a segment of the HC community to which they are responsible for reporting. This will ensure that staff in all areas of the campus will receive HCSC updates and reports.
Next meeting: February 2, 2010
Meeting adjourned at 9:54 a.m.
Linda A. Wells