Campus Safety Officer
Date: April 3, 2015
Title: Campus Safety Officer
Description: The Campus Safety Officer provides a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, visitors and all other members of the Hartwick College Community. Campus Safety Officers are responsible for protecting the property and assets of Hartwick College and the personal property of faculty, students and staff living and working on Campus; enforcing the rules, regulations and policies of Hartwick College in a fair and equal manner; and assisting the local authorities and outside agencies with any investigations into wrongdoing which affects the campus. In order to accomplish these duties, a safety officer must be on campus at all times, 24/7. Officers patrol campus, residence halls as well as surrounding area to campus as well as monitor the blue light system around campus for any safety concerns.
- Perform safety and security patrols
- Enforce college policies and regulations
- Provide aid and assistance in emergencies
- Respond to, investigate and prepare reports on criminal complaints, fire alarms, injuries, accidents and illnesses
- Lock and unlock campus buildings as required
- Provide safety and medical escorts to students, staff and faculty when requested
- Patrols, inspections and investigations require frequent inside and outdoor routing in all types of weather conditions; foot, vehicle and stationary patrols required; possible exposure to hazardous materials, severe weather conditions and physical confrontations with unstable persons and individuals who are violating laws and regulations.
- Work closely with other safety officers, student assistants, resident advisors, area coordinators, maintenance personnel, college administrators, local law enforcement agencies and emergency services.
Qualifications: Must be able to operate all equipment and systems used by the Campus Safety Department including computers, portable radios, telephone switchboard, typewriters, fire alarms, suppression systems and emergency equipment. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the College. Must possess a NYS Security Guard License or appropriate waiver. Good physical condition required, including hearing, eyesight and walking ability. Able to work well under stressful conditions; and able to quickly and effectively assess and react to emergency situations. Good interpersonal, verbal and writing skills.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,500 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority. Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick College is committed to provide a safe and secure educational environment. As such, employment at Hartwick College is contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and members of underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references in one document (pdf or MS Word preferred) to Kimberley Lindsley, Human Resources Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to The Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329.