Date: June 11, 2014
Title: Copy Editor/Proofreader
Description: Hartwick College currently has a temporary, four-month assignment for an experienced proofreader to work for our Marketing & Communications Department. Part-time, 28-hours per week.
- Copy edits a wide variety of educational materials including admissions, advancement, student services, and other pieces.
- Edit all assigned materials for accuracy, clarity, and consistency of style and format; correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Utilize AP and College-specific style guides to ensure accuracy and consistency of text for publication.
- Re-write parts of text and query developers when unsure of intent.
- Note and question artwork, layout, and production errors when proofreading.
- Handle multiple projects paying close attention to priority and tight deadlines.
- Provide editorial oversight, creation and distribution of monthly electronic newsletter.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have:
- B.A. degree
- Three or more years solid copy editing experience
- Ability to use Microsoft Word for the creation, editing, and review of documents including formatting text and tables, embedding graphics and using tracking modes.
- Ability to use Microsoft PowerPoint for creating, editing and viewing presentations including slide templates, inserting graphics, and printing handouts.
- Thorough knowledge of the English language, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation rules.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Ability to read and comprehend text rapidly and thoroughly to meet tight and often changing deadlines.
- Ability to understand and use editing proofreading marks.
- Firm understanding of the editorial process; general understanding of the production process, including ability to recognize layout problems.
- Ability to apply relevant standards across a wide variety of publications
Founded in 1797, Hartwick College is a selective, private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,500 students, located in Oneonta, NY. Hartwick's expansive curriculum emphasizes a uniquely experiential approach to the liberal arts. Through personalized teaching, collaborative research, a unique January Term, a wide range of internships, and vast study-abroad opportunities, Hartwick ensures that students are prepared for the world ahead. A Three Year Bachelor's Degree Program and strong financial aid and scholarship offerings keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Hartwick College is committed to provide a safe and secure educational environment. As such, employment at Hartwick College is contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and members of underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references in one document (pdf or MS Word preferred) to Kimberley Lindsley, Human Resources Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329.