Director of Admissions
Date: March 6, 2013
Title: Director of Admissions
Description: Under the supervision of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing, the Director of Admissions is responsible for overseeing all operations of the Admissions Office, which includes the training, development and ongoing management of a staff of six, including the senior associate director, three associate directors, and two assistant directors. The Director is responsible for assisting with strategic planning and publications, as well as the management of on-campus events, travel and the review of freshman, transfer and international applications for admission.
- Create a comprehensive recruitment plan including global communications and directives to be fulfilled by individual staff members;
- Analyze and interpret historical and current data, seeking trends and identifying areas for growth, change and further investigation/research;
- Advise and inform the VP for Enrollment Management and Marketing in regards to key indicators in the data and provide insight for determining short and long term institutional goals;
- Supervise the Admissions staff: directly supervise a senior associate director, three associate directors, and two assistant directors;
- Review the vast majority of admissions applications (over 90%) to ensure consistent ratings and evaluate the applicant pool as a whole prior to sending individual decisions;
- Consult with the Director of Financial Aid to ensure we are meeting institutional goals as we follow our rating and packaging policies and to discuss specific individual situations;
- Work with families via phone, email, written correspondence, and in person. Act as the final authority in the Admissions Office;
- Act as the "public" face of the Admissions Office, making presentations at on and off campus events;
- Create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents;
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Excellent written and oral communication skills and supervisory experience are required. A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at a senior level in undergraduate admissions is also required. Experience in data analysis and interpretation; high level of computer proficiency including Microsoft Office; experience with SPSS, Datatel or other informational input software; high attention to detail; excellent organizational skills and time management skills. A minimum of a bachelors' degree in higher education or related fields is required. A master's degree is preferred.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,500 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority. Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College recently initiated its Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick College is committed to provide a safe and secure educational environment. As such, employment at Hartwick College is contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and members of underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references in one document (pdf or MS Word preferred) to Kimberley Lindsley, Human Resources Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to The Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329.