Media Relations Manager
Date: June 11, 2014
Title: Media Relations Manager
Description: Hartwick College is seeking a proactive media relations manager to be responsible for strategic news gathering and dissemination. As a member of the Office of Marketing & Communications, the ideal candidate will:
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists.
- Work with campus constituents to develop story ideas.
- Research, write and proofread news releases, media alerts, talking points, and student, faculty and alumni profiles.
- Develop and pitch story ideas.
- Respond to media inquiries.
- Facilitate media interviews for campus leaders.
- Place faculty experts and college administrators in the news.
- Monitor and report on media coverage of the College and educational issues.
- Manage all news content on the College website.
- Manage day-to-day social media platforms and engagement and generate relevant content including posts
A bachelor's degree in journalism or related field and 3-5 years of experience with demonstrated success is required. Skills must include exceptional attention to the written and spoken word, a solid work ethic, and the ability to manage multiple assignments under deadline pressure. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed is also required. Photography experience is a plus.
Founded in 1797, Hartwick College is a selective, private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,500 students, located in Oneonta, NY. Hartwick's expansive curriculum emphasizes a uniquely experiential approach to the liberal arts. Through personalized teaching, collaborative research, a unique January Term, a wide range of internships, and vast study-abroad opportunities, Hartwick ensures that students are prepared for the world ahead. A Three Year Bachelor's Degree Program and strong financial aid and scholarship offerings keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Hartwick College is committed to provide a safe and secure educational environment. As such, employment at Hartwick College is contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and members of underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references in one document (pdf or MS Word preferred) to Kimberley Lindsley, Human Resources Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329.