The Hartwick Bell
The beginning of official College ceremonies is signaled by the ringing of the Hartwick Bell, which was cast in the Troy, New York foundry of Julius Hanks at the direction of Trustee Chairman John G. Knauff and bears the inscription Hartwick Seminary—1815, J. Hanks Fecit.-J.G. Knauff Executor. The bell hung atop the main building of the Seminary until that structure was razed and the College and Seminary were consolidated in 1947. It now hangs in the belfry of Yager Hall as a symbol of the College’s heritage.