The Hartwick Seal
In February 1992, the College’s Board of Trustees voted to amend the Hartwick seal by adopting a pictorial representation of the original seal of Hartwick Seminary (1797-1947).
Developed in the early 19th century, the Seminary seal depicts the sower of the seed of knowledge. The most recent rendition of the seal combines the College seal with that of the Seminary using a revised image of the seed sower based on Vincent van Gogh’s many paintings titled “The Sower.” The wording from the original Hartwick seal was retained and the Latin motto Ad Altiora Semper (Ever Upward) from the Seminary seal was incorporated into the design.
The Seminary seal, which served briefly as the College’s seal between October 1929 and January 1930, holds both old and new Biblical references, as well as an affirmative non-religious meaning. In fact, “broadcast” originally referred to the scattering of seed and only later evolved into its current notion of transmitting information.
Hartwick’s new seal is evidence of the College community’s willingness to re-evaluate its history and to evolve accordingly. Adopting a combination of the original seal and the Seminary seal effectively spans the 200-year history that brought Hartwick College into the 21st century.