Hartwick College uses a printing technology called Uniprint. Uniprint allows us to monitor printing to public access printers, such as those in the computer labs and library.
Each time a student prints to a public access printer, they are required to enter their network username and password. Uniprint reports the cost of the print job and requires them to click OK to print (or cancel if they don't want to).
Free printing for students: Each student has the following 'free printing' balance added to their Uniprint account:
- 250 pages (each side equals one page) each fall term they are registered
- 75 pages in J Term if registered
- 250 pages in spring term if registered
- 75 pages each summer session if registered
Unused pages will roll over from term to term until a student graduates or withdraws. The dollar value of these free pages can be viewed as the Uniprint balance at https://eAcct-wickit-sp.blackboard.com/eAccounts, along with the student's WICKit and Meal Plan balances.
Chargeable printing for students: After the free page count is exhausted, the charge for printing is as follows:
- $0.03 (3 cents) per page for single-sided black and white printing
- $0.20 (20 cents) per page for single- sided color printing (Yager Library Color Printer)
- $0.03 (3 cents) for the first side and $.02 cents for the second side per page for black and white double-sided printing ( double-sided printing is available in Clark Lab, Johnstone Lab and Yager Library at identified printers)
- $0.20 (20 cents) for the first side and $.16 cents for the second side per page for double-sided color printing (Yager Library Color Printer)
Charges are made to the student's WICKit card account. If there is no WICKit balance, the student will be unable to print after his/her free page count is exhausted. Students should be aware that clicking the print command multiple times results in multiple print jobs and therefore multiple charges. For a view of the screens that you will see when printing to Uniprint printers, please see this document.
If a student encounters a problem with printing on a public use machine, they should contact the Technology Resource Center to report the printer issue and to arrange a credit, if appropriate.
Free printing for faculty/staff: Accounts for all faculty and staff will be added to the Uniprint database. Faculty and staff accounts will be given 1,000 pages of free printing twice per year (fall term and spring term) .
Uniprint printers currently include one printer in the Clark Computer Lab (152), two printers in the Johnstone Computer Lab (225), and three printers in Stevens-German Library. Additional printers may be added.
Uniprint allows the college to curb wasteful printing, as well as to recoup the costs of toner and paper which are used to maintain these public facilities. Thank you for your cooperation. Please direct any questions to the Technology Resource Center at 607-431-4357, or email@example.com.
Printing From a Laptop
It is possible to print from your laptop directly to a Uniprint printer, but you must install the Uniprint pop up software so the job cost can be calculated and approved.
- Go to: http://reines.hartwick.edu/Uniprint/Packages.asp.
- Click the package for the printer you wish to install.
- Follow the prompts to download and install the package.
- When the installation is complete, select the new printer in the File, Print dialog of any application.
- You will be prompted for your Hartwick network username and password, told the cost of the job, and when you approve the cost, your Uniprint or WICKit balance will be charged as if you were printing in a computer lab.
- Click here to download the Macintosh Uniprint client.
- Double click the popup.dmg file in your downloads, and follow the prompts to install.
- Once the popup software is installed, set up the printer(s) following these instructions.
- When the setup is complete, select the new printer in the File, Print dialog of any application. You will be prompted for your Hartwick network username and password, told the cost of the job, and when you approve the cost, your Uniprint or WICKit balance will be charged as if you were printing in a computer lab.
Other devices (Chromebook, iPad, etc) will need to use the College's application server to print to a Uniprint printer.
If you need assistance, please contact the Technology Resource Center at 607-431-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.