Hartwick College has implemented a printing technology called Uniprint. Uniprint allows us to monitor printing to public access printers, such as those in the computer labs and library.
Starting May 12, 2009, each time students printed to a public access printer, they were required to enter a username and password. Uniprint reported the cost of the print job and required them to click OK to print (or cancel if they didn’t want to). During the trial period, there was no actual charge for printing.
Starting October 1, 2009, the following went into effect:
1. Free printing for students: Each student has 250 pages (each side equals one page) of free printing in fall term; 75 free pages in J-term, if registered; 250 free pages in spring term; and 75 free pages each summer session, if registered. Unused pages will roll over from term to term until a student graduates or withdraws. The dollar value of these free pages can be viewed as the Uniprint balance on the ‘My Accounts’ tab of Blackboard, along with the student’s WICKit and Meal Plan balances.
2. Chargeable printing for students: The charge for printing will be $0.03 (3 cents) per page (each side equals one page), after the free page count is exhausted. This will be charged to the student’s WICKit card account. If there is no WICKit balance, the student will be unable to print in these locations after his/her free page count is exhausted. Students should be aware that clicking the print command multiple times results in multiple print jobs and therefore multiple charges. For a view of the screens you will see when printing in the labs, please see this document.
3. Free printing for faculty/staff: Accounts for all faculty and staff will be added to the Uniprint database. Faculty and staff accounts will be given 1,000 pages of free printing twice a year (fall term and spring term) .
4. Students who encounter a problem with printing on a public use machine should contact the Technology Resource Center to report the printer issue and to arrange a credit, if appropriate.
5. Uniprint printers currently include one printer in the Clark Computer Lab (152), two printers in the Johnstone Computer Lab (225), and three printers in Stevens-German Library. Additional printers may be added.
We hope that implementing Uniprint will allow the college to curb wasteful printing, as well as to recoup the costs of toner and paper used to maintain these public facilities. Thank you for your cooperation. Please direct any questions to the Technology Resource Center x-4357.