Declaring a Double Major in Art & Art HistoryStudents of Art or Art History are invited to complete a double major within the Department of Art and Art History. 67 credits are required and the student is advised to plan the double major well in advance by discussing it with her/his advisor. The requirements are as follows:
Three Art History survey courses
- ARTH 102 World Art History I: Ancient Art
- ARTH 103 World Art History II: 10th to 17th centuries
- ARTH 104 World Art History III: Art of the Modern World
Six additional courses in art history
- Select two from:
- Select two from:
- Select two additional Art History courses from any courses offered that have not already met the requirement
- ARTH 487 Art History Research and Methods-this course must be taken in the spring terms of the junior year
- ARTH 490 Art History Senior Thesis - this course must be taken in the fall term of the senior year.
Minimum of 51 credits, distributed as follows:
Five fundamentals courses in art to be taken in the first two years
Fundamentals Courses are listed below: (all required)
- 113 Drawing I - 2 cr.
- 115 2-Dimensional Design - 2 cr.
- 116 Digital Is Fundamental - 2 cr.
- 165 Three-Dimensional Design - 2 cr.
Drawing: (one required)
- 212 Drawing/The Figure - 4 cr.
- 217 Drawing/Works on Paper - 4 cr.
One concentration of three courses and one concentration of two courses in any two of the following areas is required.
- 271 Ceramics I Hand Building
- 250 Ceramics Special Topics: Raw Materials
- 371 Ceramics II Wheel Throwing
- 471 Advanced Ceramics
Digital Art and Design:
- 213 Digital Art and Design I: Intro to Digital Media
- 216 Digital Art and Design II: Digital Print Media
- 250 Digital Art & Design Special Topics: Interactive Spaces
- 316 Digital Art and Design III: Interactive Media
- 317 Digital Art and Design IV: Time-Based Media
- 401 Digital Art & Design Studio
- 276 Glass I
- 376 Glass II
- 377 Glass III
- 221 Painting: Acrylics
- 222 Painting: Oils
- 223 Painting: Watercolor and Gouache
- 321 Painting II
- 421 Painting III
- 241 Photography I
- 341 Photography IIA: Black and White
- 342 Photography IIB: Manipulated Image
- 343 Photography IIC: Color
- 441 Photography III: Portfolio
- 343 Introduction to Digital Photography
- 344 Introduction to Photojournalism
- 231 Printmaking: Relief
- 233 Printmaking: Intaglio
- 234 Printmaking: Lithography
- 235 Printmaking: Silkscreen
- 431 Printmaking III
- 262 Sculpture I
- 361 Sculpture II
- 461 Sculpture III
Additional Senior Requirements:
- 411 Art Theory and Practice
- 490 Senior Project in Art
- 214 Papermaking Workshop
- 307 Off-Campus Study in Art History or Studio (up to 3 credits)
- 495 Senior Internship in Art
Three courses in art history:
- 102 World Art History I: Ancient Art
- 103 World Art History II: Middle Periods (10th-17th Centuries)
- 104 World Art History III: Art of the Modern World
Two courses in Art History above the 100 level. One of which must be either 306 or 308:
- 206 History of Chinese Imperial Art
- 207 History of Photography
- 301 Greek & Roman Art History
- 302 Medieval Art History
- 303 Italian Renaissance Art History
- 304 Baroque Art History
- 403 19th Century Art History
- 306 20th Century Art History
- 308 Contemporary Art: 1965 to Present
- 401 Northern Renaissance Art History
Sophomore Review - Fall Term (an assessment, not a course)
Junior Review - Spring Term (an assessment, not a course)
- Sophomore Review must be successfully completed before beginning the senior project.
- 411 Art Theroy and Practice - 2 cr.
- 490 Senior Project in Art - 4 cr.
- Junior Review must be successfully completed before beginning the senior project.