Online Job Resources for Biology Majors
The sites listed below contain listings and information specific to jobs and careers in the sciences. There are also a large number of online jobs Web sites (not listed here) that are not specific to science but list many science-related jobs.
Career Planning Center for Beginning Scientists and Engineers:
- http://nationalacademies.org/careerguides.html - Information on careers and job resources from the National Academy of Sciences.
- American Institute of Biological Science: http://www.aibs.org/careers.html - A collection of links to career advice and job postings in a wide range of biology fields. Includes job opportunities at AIBS.
- Zookeeping and Aquarist Careers: http://www.aza.org/JobListings/ - Information and advice on starting a career at a zoo or aquarium. Includes links to other sites with job postings and career information.
- BiologyJobs.com: http://www.biologyjobs.com - A resource for job seekers and employers who are specifically interested in the Life Sciences. Biology job categories in the database include Agriculture, Anatomy/Physiology, Bioinformatics/Biotechnology, Botany, Cell Biology, Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Science, Genetics, Marine Science, Medicine, Natural Resources, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Veterinary Medicine, and Zoology. Search job listings or post your resume.
Ecology and Environmental Jobs:
- Environmental Careers World: http://environmental-jobs.com/ - From Environmental Careers World, an environmental position recruiting firm. The site lists positions ranging from field assistants, to post-doctoral positions, to faculty positions in and out of the US, with universities, government agencies, and non-governmental organizations. [From Scout Report for Science and Engineering]
- Employment Opportunities in Wildlife and Fisheries Science: http://wfscnet.tamu.edu/jobboard/index.htm - From Texas A&M University - a resource for jobs in wildlife/fisheries all over the country.
- The Ecological Society of America: http://www.esa.org/ - News and plenty more about every topic in ecology. Job announcements, internship, and fellowship opportunities (ESA Careers Page), plus information on Careers in Ecology.
- ECOLOG-L: http://listserv.umd.edu/archives/ecolog-l.html - An e-mail discussion group sponsored by the Ecological Society of America. Frequently carries job, internship, and graduate assistantship announcements in ecological and environmental fields. An archive of job announcements is available via e-mail.
- Society for Conservation Biology: http://www.conbio.org/jobs/ - The best source to begin a search for conservation-related employment or information on programs in conservation biology.
- The Animal Behavior Society: http://www.animalbehavior.org/ - Includes a guide to graduate programs in animal behavior (under resources), the newsletter (includes adverts. for jobs and graduate fellowships), links to university biology departments and the archive of ABSnet, a listerv of behavior-oriented announcements (includes adverts. for jobs and graduate fellowships).
- Ornithological Jobs: http://www.osnabirds.org/on/ornjobs.htm - Lots of bird-oriented job opportunities and graduate fellowships available online. From listings in the Ornithological Newsletter of the Ornithological Societies of North America.
- The Nature Conservancy - http://www.tnc.org/ - Includes searchable job listings at TNC (under "Careers" at the bottom of the page).
- US Department of the Interior site: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ - A searchable index of jobs throughout the Federal Government, including FWS, BLM, USGS. Tip: try using "Biologist" and "Biological Technician" as search keywords.
- U.S. Geological Survey: http://www.usgs.gov/ - Lists some job opportunities, much information on major conservation projects. Use the links to state programs for specific information.
- The US Fish and Wildlife Service: http://www.fws.gov/ - Lists employment and volunteer opportunities plus information on careers.
- The Environmental Protection Agency: http://www.epa.gov/ - Advertises many internships that are reserved exclusively for recent college graduates and also posts advertisements for jobs at many environmentally-oriented government agencies. (See "Careers" at the page bottom.)
- Green Jobs: http://www.envirolink.org/sbn/jobs_frameset.html - from the Sustainable Business Network. Listings of job opportunities in a wide variety of "green" businesses and organizations, plus some fellowships and internships.
- E Jobs: http://www.ecoemploy.com/ - Environmental Jobs and Careers in New England. The site contains information on jobs with state government, engineering and consulting firms, environmental laboratories, law firms, and non-profit organizations. Although primarily targeted at the New England region, there are also links to organizations in other geographical regions and general employment resources.
- Environmental Careers Organization : http://www.eco.org/ - A nonprofit organization that offers paid internships in the environmental science and policy.
- Wetland Jobs: http://www.sws.org/jobs/ - From the Society of Wetland Scientists. A listing of jobs at all levels, graduate assistantships, and postdoctoral opportunities in all areas of wetland-related science.
- Microbiology Jobs: http://www.asm.org/ - from the American Society of Microbiology. Jobs postings (many require advanced degrees) and links to other jobs-related sites.
- FASEB Career Resources: http://www.faseb.org/careers - Biomedical job announcements and career resources from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
- MedZilla: http://www.medzilla.com/ - Web site specializing in jobs and employment resources for biotechnology, medicine, and science.
- BioExchange.com: http://www.bioexchange.com/ - BioExchange.com is a bio-pharmaceutical network integrating community features, advanced e-commerce functions, scientific tools, directories & an advanced career board for Life Science professionals.
- Snaiil.com: http://www.snaiil.com/ - Snaiil.com is a career website for the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industries. Provides career information, job listings, resume database and industry events. Job Seekers will find numerous job openings, resume building advice, salary data, interview tips, stock investment updates, and critical career information. Job seekers can search job postings or register for free and post a resume for employers.