Recommendation for Certification to NYSED
Upon successful fulfillment of the requirements of this program and passing examinations required by the state, students qualify to be recommended for Childhood (1-6th grade), Adolescence (7-12th grade), Dual/Special Education, Art Education or Music Education initial certification.
Reciprocity with most states allows students to secure certification in other regions with minimal effort: usually an application and fees paid to that state or commonwealth.
Requirements: To qualify for certification through the Hartwick College Department of Education, an individual must satisfactorily complete the following:
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Course requirements in approved academic major (and minor for Childhood level) with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum requirements
- Log 100 hours of early field experience, 25 hours must be in special education setting.
- Education course work with a cumulative average of 3.0 or above and no single grade below a C.
- Child Abuse Identification Seminar (Lyceum course)
- Substance Abuse Seminar (Lyceum course)
- Violence Prevention Seminar (Lyceum course)
- DASA training (Lyceum course)
To become certified to teach in New York State, an individual must successfully pass the NYSED battery of tests:
- NYSED battery of tests (see www.NYSED.gov for dates and details)
- Educating All Students (EAS)
- Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST)
- Content Specialty Test (CST)