Requirements for the Sociology Major:
With an advisor in the department, design a program with a minimum of 12 approved courses, distributed as follows:
- 105 Introduction to Sociology (first year)
- 310 Classical Theory (sophomore year) (offered only in the fall)
- 383 Quantitative Analysis (junior year) (offered only in the spring)
- 385 Qualitative Analysis (junior year) (offered only in the fall)
- 397 Contemporary Theory (sophomore year) (offered only in the spring)
- 485 Senior Seminar (fall)
Five additional courses in sociology
Grades for all courses taken in sociology are used to calculate the average in the major for Departmental Distinction. Students also are required to earn at least A- in Senior Thesis to be eligible for Departmental Distinction.
Three-Year Degree Option:
For students majoring in sociology, Hartwick's Three-Year Bachelor's Degree Program is a unique opportunity to earn a degree in three years. For more information visit the Program Web site at www.hartwick.edu/threeyeardegree.