Educational Policies and Procedures

Students at Hartwick are expected to familiarize themselves with the graduation criteria, major requirements and other applicable academic guidelines as they plan their programs. Failure to read and comply with policies and procedures will not exempt a student from whatever penalties he or she may incur. The policies listed below are associated with the current catalog year.

Click on a link below to view a policy:

Academic Policies
Academic Honesty Dean's List
Academic Residency Requirement Deletion of Courses from GPA
Academic Standards of Progress Departmental Distinction
Access to and Release of Educational Records Final Grade Reports
Account Holds and Course Registration Full and Part Time Status
Adding/Dropping Courses Grades
Advanced Placement Credit Grade Point Average
Athletic Eligibility Independent and Directed Studies
Auditing Courses Internships
Catalog Year Changes - Students January Term Participation
Change of Name and/or Address Non-Credit Study
Change of Grade Official Transcripts
Class Absences Overall Average Honors - Laude (Summa, Magna, Cum)
Classification of Students Protection Against Prejudicial or Capricious Grading
College Honors Readmission (from dismissal, withdrawal or for a second degree)
Commencement Participation, Eligibility to Participate Second Degree
Completion of Wick-101 Special Students, Non-Degree Seeking
Course Cancellation Standards of NYS Student Aid Eligibility
Course Load SUNY Oneonta Exchange Program
Course Overload Transfer Credit
Course Repeating Visiting Students
Course Withdrawal Waiver of Academic Requirements
Credit for Prior Experiential Learning Waiver of Foreign Language Requirement
Waiver of Physical Education Requirement
Withdrawal from Hartwick and other hiatuses


Academic Honesty

When a faculty member has evidence of dishonest academic behavior, he or she shall immediately speak with the student regarding the evidence. If after this conversation the faculty member has found evidence that the student has knowingly or with culpable negligence committed an act of academic dishonesty, he or she shall first so inform the student and then file a formal charge with the Office of Academic Affairs. In addition to a written explanation of the charge, the faculty member will provide the evidence that substantiates it to the academic honesty officer. Other members of the college community -- staff or students -- who become aware of dishonest behavior as defined above should consult with the academic honesty officer about whether and/or how to press charges.

When the Office of Academic Affairs has received the formal charge from the faculty member, the academic honesty officer will schedule a meeting with the student and discuss both the charge and the evidence. If the academic honesty officer concurs that the student has committed the offense, he or she shall inform the student of the penalty in writing.

Click here to read the entire academic honesty policy.

| top |

Academic Residency Requirement

A student must complete the last 30 semester hours of the courses required for graduation while in residence at Hartwick. Residence means enrollment in programs conducted by the College on or off campus. Any student wishing to complete courses elsewhere while in residence must petition the Committee on Academic Standards for a waiver of residency.

| top |

Academic Standards of Progress
The maintenance of good academic standing requires students to meet minimum standards for cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA), term GPA*, and total credits as defined below. Failure to meet these standards results in academic dismissal (AD) or academic probation (AP).

Standards for Cumulative GPA and Total Credits

Term* Grade Point Average/Credits Completed Sanction
First Term 0.000-1.399 Academic Dismissal
First Term 1.400-1.999 Academic Probation
First Term Completion of fewer than 6 academic credits Academic Dismissal
Second Term 0.000-1.599 Academic Dismissal
Second Term 1.600-1.999 Academic Probation
Second Term Completion of fewer than 18 academic credits Academic Dismissal
Third Term 0.000-1.799 Academic Dismissal
Third Term 1.800-1.999 Academic Probation
Fourth Term Completion of fewer than 42 academic credits Academic Dismissal
Fourth Term and Beyond 0.000-1.999 Academic Dismissal
Second Term Juniors Completion of fewer than 70 academic credits Academic Dismissal
Second Term Seniors Completion of fewer than 95 academic credits Academic Dismissal
Tenth Term and Beyond Completion of fewer than 120 academic credits Academic Dismissal




*By term, we mean either fall or spring semester. J Term credits are included in the Spring Term credit calculations but not the Spring Term GPA.

Academic Dismissal Appeal

Any student who has been academically dismissed from the College has the right to petition the Committee on Academic Standards to reconsider its decision. Such a request must contain all pertinent information and the information must have a bearing on the student’s poor academic performance. The petition should be directed to the Chair of the Committee on Academic Standards, setting forth clearly all arguments for reconsideration and must be submitted within ten calendar days after the date of the Committee’s written notification of dismissal. Decisions on such appeals by the Committee on Academic Standards shall be considered final.

If a student believes that the aforementioned procedure has not been followed or if the student’s Hartwick College academic record has materially changed since the Committee made its final decision, then the student may address his/her concerns to the Dean of Academic Affairs, who may then refer the case back to the Committee for reconsideration. Any student who successfully appeals and is retained from an academic dismissal will automatically be placed on close scrutiny probation (an organized and systematic set of programs specifically targeted at providing remediation as well as social and emotional support to assist the student in succeeding at Hartwick College).

After a period of one year a student who has been academically dismissed is eligible to apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar with acceptance decisions subject to approval by CAS. Should an academically dismissed student successfully complete a minimum of nine credit hours at a regionally accredited college or university, and have a GPA of at least 2.5, and have no grade below a C, that student may apply for early readmission with acceptance decisions subject to approval by CAS.

Students who have been dismissed and readmitted will be academically dismissed and no longer be eligible for any further readmission should they fall below minimum academic standards a second time.

January Term Suspension

Any student who has been academically dismissed at the end of fall term will be academically suspended for the subsequent January term, even if a student petitions the Committee on Academic Standards for an appeal of the academic dismissal. If a student does not petition the Committee on Academic Standards for an appeal of an academic dismissal or if an appeal is denied, he or she will not be suspended; instead, the academic dismissal will be issued after the last date of the fall term in which the academic dismissal was rendered. Even if a student successfully petitions the Committee on Academic Standards for an appeal of an academic dismissal, he or she will be suspended for January term and will be allowed to resume study at Hartwick College the subsequent spring term.

Academic Probation

Students on probation are required to sign an agreement with the Committee on Academic Standards and with the Registrar that demonstrates their seriousness of purpose and provides a specific plan for repairing their deficiencies in a mutually agreeable time. Failure to comply with the terms of the probation agreement will result in dismissal.

As part of academic probation, the Committee may require a student to meet special conditions to continue at the College. Some of the conditions that may be recommended include the following:

  1. Student must complete a full load of credits with specified minimum GPA or student must restrict the number of credits to be taken and plan on taking more than the normal time to complete a degree.
  2. A change of major.
  3. Student must consult or report to specified advisors, mentors, and counselors weekly and/or attend programs or workshops.
  4. Student must give up or reduce time-consuming activities such as athletics, fraternity or sorority offices, Hilltops, jobs off campus, theatre, or other co-curricular activities.

Probation programs are administered by the Center for Student Success.

A student on close scrutiny probation may be academically dismissed at any time during the term in which the student is on probation if there is evidence to show that he or she is not progressing academically. The Committee on Academic Standards will consider adherence to conditions of probation in its evaluation of a student’s academic progress.

Standards for Term GPA

Any student who has a cumulative GPA above 2.0 but has one term with a term GPA below 2.0 is placed on academic probation. Any student who has a cumulative GPA above 2.0 but two consecutive terms with a term GPA below 2.0 is subject to academic dismissal.

| top |

Access to and Release of Educational Records
Hartwick College complies with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (P.L. 93-380, as amended), which provides for the confidentiality of student records unless released by the student and the openness of records to the student concerned, with an opportunity to correct mistakes in such records.

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 students are permitted access to their educational records upon request to the Office of the Registrar. The College will not release personally identifiable information from a student's education record without the student's prior written consent. Exceptions include: access by "college officials" who the institution has determined to have a "legitimate educational interest"; access by school officials at other schools where the student seeks to enroll; access for the purpose of awarding financial aid and subpoenas. The complete statement of the College policy is found here.

If the student believes that any part of the information on his or her educational record is inaccurate or misleading or violates the student's privacy or other rights, a request may be made for correction of the record by the Registrar. If, in the Registrar's opinion, the student has proved his/her case, the record will be corrected and the student notified. If the Registrar refuses to change the record, appeal may be made by the student to the Committee on Academic Standards, whose decision will be based upon evidence presented at the hearing. Decision will include a summary of the evidence and the reasons for the decision. If desired, the student may be assisted or represented by an individual of the student's choice, including an attorney at the student's own expense.

| top |

Adding and Dropping Courses

Classes may not be added after the beginning of the second class meeting of any course unless the instructor grants permission. Courses meeting the full term must be registered by the end of the second week of Fall or Spring term and by the third day in January or any Summer Term. Courses meeting for less than the full term must be registered by the end of the first week of that course's meetings.

Senior projects/theses and internships must be registered by the end of the second week of Fall and Spring terms, and the end of the first week of January Term. Independent or directed studies for 3 or 4 credits must be registered by the end of the second week of Fall or Spring terms. Independent or directed studies for 2 semester hours must be registered by the end of the eighth week of Fall or Spring terms, and independent/directed studies for 1 semester hour must be registered by the end of the 11th week of Fall or Spring terms. Independent/directed studies must be registered by the end of the first week of January Term, regardless of offering credit.

Forms on which to add or drop courses may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar (and online).

| top |

Account Holds

A hold may be placed on a student's account preventing course registration changes and release of official transcripts and other credentials if a student has an outstanding obligation with a specific administrative office at the College. For example, a hold may be placed if a student has an oustanding financial balance or is missing a high school (or equivalent) transcript. Course registration changes and release of transcripts or other credentials are not permitted until a hold has been cleared.

Additionally, if an enrolled student does not address a hold prior to the start of a term or within the first seven days of fall or spring term or first three days of January or any Summer term, he or she may be withdrawn from the institution. Specifically, a student who has one or more holds on his or her account and is not attempting to resolve the hold(s) by 5 p.m. on Thursday of the first week of fall or spring terms will have his or her WICKit account frozen the next day (Friday) by 9 a.m. A student whose account has been frozen and has not resolved or attempted to resolve a hold on his or her account by 5 p.m. the following Tuesday will be dropped from his or her courses and placed on a leave of absence for the remainder of the term or withdrawn from the institution completely.

| top |

Advanced Placement Credit

Hartwick College offers advanced placement credit for most scores of three or better on the Advanced Placement Exams of the College Board. Several Advanced Placement tests have been designated by academic programs as equivalent to one or more Hartwick courses. If an Advanced Placement test is not designated equivalent to a Hartwick course or courses, credits toward the general education curriculum or elective credit may still be offered. AP transcripts must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar so that credit may be awarded.

A current list of credit awarded for Advanced Placement exams, with appropriate scores, is found online.

| top |

Athletic Eligibility

Hartwick College maintains NCAA membership in both Division I (men's soccer and women's water polo) and Division III (other sports). Student-athletes must comply with the appropriate divisional eligibility requirements necessary to establish and maintain continuous athletics eligibility for practice and/or competition. Eligibility records are maintained in the Athletics Compliance Office located in the Binder Physical Education Center, Room 103. Any student-athlete who falls below a 2.0 term or cumulative GPA and/or is enrolled in less than a minimum full-time course load (12 semester hours per term) must make an appointment with the College's Athletics Compliance Officer regarding their athletics eligibility status for practice and/or competition.

In order for Division III student-athletes to maintain continuous athletic eligibility beyond the first year, a student athlete must register for and pass a minimum of 24 credits prior to the beginning of each academic year or have passed 24 credits during the two terms previous to competition.

January Term courses and approved courses taken during summer sessions may be counted toward the compilation of courses needed to fulfill this requirement. A student athlete must remain a full-time student (must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits for the Fall and Spring terms). Repeating a course for which a passing grade was issued does not count toward the required number of credits for that term or for the academic year. Incomplete courses do not apply toward the required number of credits for that term or for the academic year until all course work has been completed and a passing grade issued.

Student-athletes participating in either of the College's NCAA Division I sports (men's soccer and women's water polo) must meet NCAA Division I minimum term and academic year eligibility requirements for practice and/or competition. Questions regarding initial eligibility (academic and amateur certification through the NCAA Eligibility Center required) and maintaining continuous athletic s eligibility at the Division I level should be directed to the College's Athletics Compliance Officer.

All student-athletes must also maintain good academic standing. The Committee on  Academic Standards may curtail or suspend athletic participation for student-athletes with a cumulative GPA below 2.0. Student-athletes are held accountable for meeting all institutional (Academic Standards of Progress) and NCAA requirements relative to academic and athletics eligibility. Dismissal or suspension from the College for academic or disciplinary reasons may result in an interruption of continuous athletic eligibility per institutional and NCAA regulations.

NCAA eligibility requirements are subject to change. The above statements are intended as a general guide. All specific questions should be directed to the College's Athletics Compliance Officer.r

| top |

Auditing Courses

A student in good academic standing and with the permission of the instructor may audit a course. The student and the instructor must agree in advance on what the auditor is expected to do. At the end of the course, the instructor shall certify that the student met these obligations by issuing a grade of 'AU'. If the obligations are not met, the student will be dropped from the course roster and the course will be removed from the student's record. A decision to change from credit to audit must be made by the end of the first week of the term in which the course is given. Not all courses are available for audits: studio art courses, music performance courses, physical education courses, computer laboratory courses, and off-campus programs are excluded. It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar via an add/drop form before the end of the first week of the term in which the study will commence when auditing a course.

| top |

Catalog Year Changes - Students

A student is normally required to graduate under the provisions of the college catalog in effect at the time of matriculation or since the student began continuous enrollment at Hartwick.

Continuous enrollment is defined as being enrolled in classes without a break of two or more consecutive regular semesters.

However, in certain circumstance, a student may change his or her major catalog year at the discretion of the Registrar or the department in which a student is pursuing a major. A student must indicate this change in writing to the Office of the Registrar when changing a major. If a student does not indicate catalog year when changing a major, his or her catalog year will be retained based on matriculation year. A student should consult with his or her advisor before modifying a catalog year.

Students must use a single catalog and not a combination of catalogs for graduation. In cases when required courses are no longer taught by the college, the appropriate academic department may designate a reasonable substitute.

| top |

Change of Grades 

Once a final grade has been submitted to and verified by the Office of the Registrar, it cannot be changed without authorization from the Committee on Academic Standards. The student is responsible for requesting a grade change from an instructor within 15 days of grade verification. If a grade change is warranted, the instructor of record must submit a Grade Change Request to the Office of the Registrar for consideration by the Committee on Academic Standards. Notice of the Committee's decision is sent, in writing, to the student and instructor.

| top |

Change of Name and/or Address

Current students who change either their permanent home address are expected to complete a Request for Information Change form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Students who have moved and who have not submitted a change of address in writing are not exempt from the consequences of failing to receive official College notices and communications. Failure to notify the Office of the Registrar of address changes may cause delays in the handling of student records and in notifying students in cases of emergency. Note that official College correspondence is mailed to the permanant home address of record for current students. Students that have not yet matriculated must contact the Office of Admissions to change the permanant home address. Students that have graduated must contact the Office of Institutional Advancement to change the permanant home address.

A name change must be accompanied by a copy of a legal document authorizing the change when submitting the Request for Information Change form. Accurate legal names must be associated with individual academic records, so that official records on file are correct. Confusion regarding transcripts occurs when names on our academic records do not reflect an individual's current status. Once a legal change of name occurs due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons, an information change form should be promptly filed with the Office of the Registrar.

Further descriptions of the type of required documentation, by reason, are as follows:

A student who wishes to change a name because of divorce must present a court order as evidence that the divorce decree has been granted. A woman may resume her maiden name after divorce only if such change has been authorized by the court.

Immigrant Students
These students may not change to names which do not appear on their passports. Thus, a passport is sufficient documentation for a name change.

All Others
All other students are permitted to change their names without court order by completing a change of information form and presenting proper verification of the new name. This verification must be one of the following pieces of identification showing that a new name has been legally adopted by the student.

  • Driver's License
  • DMV Identification Card
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Passport
  • Legal Court Document
  • Birth Certificate
  • Alien Registration Card

This proof is required for all changes, even if the student is adding or dropping one of the following:

  • I, II, III, IV, Jr., Sr. or some other suffix to the name
  • Middle name or initial
  • Hyphen (Clearwater to Clear-Water)

A student or former student who has received a bachelor's degree from the College may not have the name changed on that portion of the record preceding the award of any such degree without presenting a court order and paying a processing fee for the printing and mailing of the replacement diploma bearing the new name. New students should contact the Office of Admissions to process any relevant name changes prior to matriculation.

| top |

Class Absences Policy

At Hartwick, students are responsible for regular class attendance and are accountable for all work missed because of class absences. Instructors normally list attendance policies on course syllabi that are distributed at the beginning of the term. Students should be aware that in some classes there are no excused absences for any reason. Instructors may request students to provide reasons for absences and are under no obligation to make special arrangements for students who are absent. Students are expected to communicate directly with instructors regarding absences except in the following instances:

Illness: Faculty will be notified by the Perrella Wellness Center if a student is admitted to a hospital facility. When a student returns home without prior consultation with the Director of the Perrella Wellness Center, documentation from the attending physician must be received prior to notification of faculty. Absences for illness that does not require admittance to a medical facility are to be reported by the student directly to the instructor who may or may not count them as excused.

Medical Leave: Faculty will be notified by the Perrella Wellness Center if a student is granted a medical leave.

Death: Faculty will be notified by the Office of Student Affairs if a student is away due to the death of a family member (parent, sibling, grandparent). The student or a member of the family should report this information to the vice president of student affairs prior to departure from campus.

General Leave: Advisors will be notified by the Office of the Registrar if a student is granted a general leave.

Other than medical or general leaves, whether or not absences are excused is at the discretion of the faculty member. As noted above, there are some classes where attendance is so critical that it may not be possible to remain in the course even though the absences are legitimate and excused.

Observance of religious holidays (as provided in the New York State Education Law Section 224-A): Students who are compelled for religious reasons to be absent on a particular day for registration, class or an examination will be excused and given an equivalent opportunity to make up the requirements, provided that the student notifies the Instructor (or the Office of Academic Affairs) as soon as the student becomes aware of the conflict and no later than one week prior to the absence.

Classification of Students

  • Freshman-fewer than 30 academic credits completed
  • Sophomore-30 through 59 academic credits completed
  • Junior-60 through 89 academic credits completed
  • Senior-minimum of 90 academic credits completed

| top |

College Honors

To complete the Honors Program, and to be recommended by the Honors Program Committee for College Honors upon graduation, a student must be admitted to the program and successfully complete all Honors Program requirements. Each student must graduate with at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average to receive College Honors. Successful completion of the College Honors Program is designated on the student's transcript.

| top |

Commencement Participation

Students may participate in the May commencement ceremony if they are registered in the Spring Term of their senior year for an approved program of studies, which, if completed with suitable grades, will fulfill all degree requirements. Students completing all degree requirements in December or February of a given academic year may participate in the May ceremony of that academic year, but must notify the Registrar in writing of their intent to do so. Students that have eight (8) credit hours or fewer remaining toward completion of their degree(s) may request permission from the Registrar to participate in the May commencement. A student may only participate in one commencement ceremony.

Students that complete all degree requirements in September (e.g. finish over the summer) are eligible to participate in the previous May ceremony, but must submit an application for graduation to the Office of the Registrar indicating their intent.

| top |

Completion of Wick-101

Wick-101 is an integral, required one-credit non-academic course for new students (freshmen and transfers) that must be completed in the first term of attendance (fall or spring; students that start in January term complete the course in the spring). Should a student not pass the course, he or she is required to re-take it each term until it is passed.

| top |

Course Cancellations

The college does not guarantee offering all or any of the courses listed in the college catalog. When there is inadequate registration for a course (generally less than 8 students), it may be cancelled without notice. The Registrar and/or Department Chair will notify all affected students of course cancellations before the first meeting of the course by email and in writing to the student's campus mailbox.

| top |

Course Load

A full time academic coarse load is defined as 12 academic credits in Fall and Spring terms and 3 credits in January term. However, a normal course load for a regular full-time student is 30 academic credits per year, normally distributed as 13-14 credits in the Fall Term, 3-4 credits in the January Term and 13-14 credits in the Spring Term. This excludes WICK-101, physical education skill courses and music performance credit courses. With the advisor's approval, students who have no outstanding incompletes may enroll for up to 20 credits during either Fall or Spring term. These rules will be waived if a specific departmental program dictates overloads as part of the total planned student program.

Regular full-time matriculated students are expected to complete at least a 24-credit load for the academic year as they work toward the total of 120 academic credits required for graduation over a four year period. Students that fail to meet credit completion requirements established by the Academic Standard of Progress policy are subject to academic dismissal.

Students enrolled in the Three Year Bachelor's Degree Program are expected to complete at least 40 academic credits per year to graduate with 120 academic credits in three years.

| top |

Course Overload

A student with a current cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher & no outstanding incompletes may register for up to 20 credits in Fall and Spring term and 4 credits in January Term with his or her advisor's approval . If a student wishes to register for more than 20 credits in Fall or Spring term or 4 credits in January term, he or she must petition the Committee on Academic Standards for permission. Any credit registered above the allowable limit will be charged a per credit over-election fee.

| top |

Course Repeating

A student may retake any course for the purpose of gaining additional knowledge and improving the grade. Retaking a course for which the student has credit (the course was passed) will not add to the student's total number of credits completed for graduation. For courses repeated at Hartwick, the higher grade will be used to calculate the grade point average. For courses repeated elsewhere, if the course is allowed to transfer in, and if the Hartwick grade in the earlier attempt was C- or lower, the Hartwick grade will not be included in the student's grade point average. The transfer grade will not be used in the grade point average either; the student will just have credit for the transfer course rather than the Hartwick course.

Repeating a course in which a student earned a letter grade other than 'F' may impact a student's state and/or federal aid. A student repeating a course should check with the Office of Student Accounts or Financial Aid before choosing to repeat a course.

It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar in writing when a course is being repeated.

| top |

Course Withdrawal

A student may withdraw from a course following the allowed add/drop period at the start of a term through the ninth week of fall and spring term and the third week of January term for full term courses, and the fifth week of fall and spring term half-term courses. A grade of 'W' is issued for all course withdrawals. A student who withdraws from one or more courses may need to repay any state financial aid received. See "Standards of NYS Student Aid Eligibility" under Educational Policies and Procedures. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course must process an add/drop form with the Office of the Registrar.

| top |

Credit for Prior Experiential Learning

Prior experiential learning is learning acquired outside of a formal academic setting. It provides knowledge, understanding, or intellectual skills expected of students who pursue a baccalaureate degree at a liberal arts and sciences college and takes place prior to admission. Prior experiential learning usually results from independent reading or study from employment, from serving an internship or from some other related activity. To obtain credit for prior experiential learning, students must be able to articulate in some acceptable way what they have learned and must be able to demonstrate that it is equivalent to the academic work done by college students. Credit will only be granted for experiences occurring after the completion of high school.

Students who have been accepted for admission by the College and who desire credit for prior experiential learning must submit an application (available in the Office of the Registrar) to the Chair of the department in which credit is being sought. The Department Chair shall evaluate the application or submit it to other academic departments or to the appropriate faculty committee for further evaluation. The evaluation will include a personal interview and whatever form of demonstration is necessary to determine whether academic credit (without grades) should be awarded. If the application is approved, it will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar for final approval by the Registrar and processing and to the Office of Student Accounts for collection of the Experiential Credit award fee. If approved, the experiential credit is added to the student's record with a grade of ‘CR'.

No more than 30 credits for prior experiential learning may be included in credits required for graduation. No more than 60 credits earned through the combination of transfer credit, equivalency examinations and prior experiential learning may be applied toward a Hartwick degree.

| top |

Dean's List

To be eligible for a Fall Term or Spring Term Dean's List, a student must complete within that term at least 12 academic credits, earning a term grade point average of at least 3.5. Any student with a grade of Incomplete in any course in that term other than Senior Project/Thesis is not eligible for Dean's List. Dean's List is issued only at the end of Fall and Spring terms (not for summer sessions or January Term - note that January Term grades/credits are not included for Spring term Dean's List eligibility). Dean's List is generated by the Office of Academic Affairs.

| top |

Deletion of Courses from Final Grade Point Average

In order to meet the minimum 2.00 cumulative and major grade point averages required for graduation, a senior may elect during his or her final term to exclude from the final cumulative grade point average any course not needed to meet graduation requirements (including total number of academic credits). Such grades will still be shown on the transcript but will not be calculated within the final cumulative grade point average. Such requests must be submitted, in writing, to the Registrar. If a student does not meet the minimum grade point average for a major, he or she must make arrangements with the Chair of his or her department to achieve a 2.000 and must communicate the arrangement, in writing, to the Registrar. A notation appears next to each excluded course on the student's transcript.

| top |

Departmental Distinction

Students are awarded Departmental Distinction upon completion of a degree if they have met all of the following requirements:

  1. Earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.3;
  2. Earned a grade point average of at least 3.5 in the major;
  3. Completed a departmental capstone with a grade of at least A-;
  4. Met any other requirements as specified in the Hartwick College Catalog by individual

Each department will indicate in the College Catalog which courses either within or outside the department count toward requirement two above.

Notice of Departmental Distinction is entered on a student's permanent record and appears on the transcript.

Individual Student Program Distinction

A student who, at the time of graduation, has met the following standards may be awarded a degree with Individual Student Program Distinction upon recommendation of the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee and with the approval of the Committee on Academic Standards:

  1. Has the approval of the Program Advisor and Advisory Committee;
  2. Has earned an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher in the courses constituting the area of concentration;
  3. Completed a senior project with a grade of at least A-; and
  4. Has earned a cumulative average of at least 3.0.

| top |

Final Grade Reports

Final grades are reported electronically at the end of each term. Hartwick College does not mail official grade reports to a student's permanent home address unless instructed, in writing, by the student. Such requests must be made to the Office of the Registrar and are in effect until rescinded by the student.

| top |

Full- and Part-Time Student Status

A matriculated student is one accepted by the College to work full- or part-time toward a degree. A full-time matriculated student is expected to comply with the Credit Load policy listed elsewhere on this page. All matriculated students must abide by the regulations established by the faculty and enforced by the Chief Academic Officer and the Committee on Academic Standards. All matriculated degree seeking students must provide evidence of high school (or equivalent) completion in order to matriculate into a degree program (Hartwick requires an official high school transcript for this purpose). In addition to a high school transcript, all degree seeking transfer students must provide evidence of matriculation at all previously attended post-secondary institutions by submitting official transcripts from those institutions.  Since Hartwick is designed primarily as a residential institution for full-time students, exceptions to the full-time status will be granted only in cases falling within the following categories: 

  • Students admitted as part-time matriculated students because of an unusual need. An example would be a student who, for financial reasons, cannot afford full-time status or has a documented medical condition that prevents carrying a full time course load. Students in these or similar circumstances may be admitted as part-time students upon approval of the Director of Admissions and Registrar.
  • Full-time students who wish to change to part-time matriculated status for one or more terms after enrollment at the College for the following reasons:
    • Continuation of study at the College past the normal four-year period.
    • Enrollment in a final term requiring only part-time load to complete all degree requirements.
    • Special, validated health problems permitting part-time, not full-time, study.
    • Unforeseeable financial emergency.

Full-time students wishing to transition to part-time status for the reasons listed above must request approval for part-time status from the Office of the Registrar. Full-time students who wish to transition to part-time status for reasons not listed above must petition the Committee on Academic Standards for approval. Part-time students wishing to transition to full-time status must request approval for full-time status from  the Office of the Registrar.

| top |


Grades are due 48 hours after the last exam or meeting time and are awarded according to the following scale:

A: indicates original or independent thinking, a command of the interrelationships within the subject, the ability to apply the principles learned, a mastery of the subject matter and clarity of expression. Grade points per credit: A = 4.0, A- = 3.7.

B: indicates a mastery of the subject matter, an understanding of the fundamentals and their interrelationships, the ability to apply that knowledge and to express it clearly. Grade points per credit: B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7.

C: indicates an acceptable knowledge of the course content, an understanding of the fundamental principles and a reasonable ability to apply them. Grade points per credit: C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = 1.7.

D: indicates minimal knowledge and understanding of the course content, with a limited ability to apply the principles learned. Grade points per credit: D+ = 1.3, D = 1.0, D- = 0.7.

F: indicates that the work was not satisfactorily completed. Grade points per credit: F = 0.0.

I: at the discretion of the instructor, a grade of incomplete may be issued. An incomplete grade indicates that the coursework was incomplete at the end of the term and that the instructor granted additional time to complete the work or additional time was required for grading practices. It should be understood that incompletes are issued for a number of reasons and do not necessarily indicate negligence on the part of the student and are issued at the discretion of the instructor. For the student to receive credit for the course, all work must be completed by one of the following dates, or by an earlier date as set by the instructor: Spring and Summer term courses-October 30. Fall and January term courses-March 30. If a grade is not submitted by the appropriate date, a grade of "F" will be recorded. Note that outstanding incomplete grades are immediately converted to "F" upon dismissal or withdrawal from the institution if not resolved prior to the hiatus being issued. The grade of I is not to be awarded in place of a failing grade, to intentionally delay graduation certification or issuance of a hiatus, or when the student is expected to repeat the course; in such cases, a grade other than I must be assigned.  A grade of I will only be issued upon submission of an Incomplete Explanation Form to the Office of the Registrar.

P: Pass. Indicates that the work was satisfactorily completed.

N: Not-Pass. Indicates that the work was not satisfactority completed.

Physical education and Wick 101 courses are graded on a Passed (P), Not Passed (N) basis and do not count toward the 120 academic credits required for a degree.

Additional grades:

X: indicates non-attendance in a course. The student must show to the satisfaction of the Committee on Academic Standards that he or she never attended the course or stopped attending the course and failed to withdraw with proper administrative processing. "X" does not count in the total credits attempted and does not factor in to the grade point average.

W: indicates that the student withdrew from the course by the end of the ninth week of the term for a Fall or Spring term course or by the end of the third week for a January Term course. Each instructor must provide every student with an evaluation of progress in the course so that the student may evaluate his or her status prior to the deadline for withdrawal. Withdrawals after the deadline are not permitted unless approved by the Committee on Academic Standards. "W" does not count in the total of credits attempted and does not factor in to the grade point average.

PND: used when no grade has been submitted by the instructor. The grade is pending. PND grades are used sparingly and only when extenuating circumstances prevent the instructor from issuing a final grade. A letter grade must be submitted by the instructor within one week of being issued or the PND grade will convert to an F.

AU: indicates a student has audited a course.

In addition to the grades and quality points referred to above, a faculty member may write a commentary concerning the student's work in a class. Such statements must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar in writing; only then will they be incorporated as part of the transcript. Grades receiving comment are indicated with a '*' on the transcript.

| top |

Grade Point Average

The following grade values are used to calculate term, cumulativeand major grade point averages (GPA).

A 4.00
A- 3.70
B+ 3.30
B 3.00
B- 2.70
C+ 2.30
C 2.00
C- 1.70
D+ 1.30
D 1.00
D- 0.70
F 0.00


GPA's are the sum of the grade point values divided by the sum of earned credits. The grade point value for each course is derived by multiplying the numeric grade equivalency by the earned credits. Physical Education, WICK 101 and other courses where a grade of P or N is issued are not included in this calculation.

| top |

Independent and Directed Studies
Students wishing to engage in a study for which no course exists but in an area in which an instructor is qualified, may pursue either an independent or directed study pursuant to the following restrictions. Credit for an independent or directed study may be 1, 2, 3, or 4 credits.

Independent Studies permit junior and senior students with a GPA of 2.3 or higher to examine specialized topics with minimal supervision. To qualify for an independent study, a student must have prior academic experience (either a completed course or directed study with at least a C for each course) in the general field or fields in which the study is to be undertaken. Departmental approval shall come only after a formal departmental review and concurrence that the proposal has sound academic merit. To assist in this process, the student must provide a list of the courses that qualify the student for pursuing such a project, a detailed explanation of the goals of the project, and a detailed listing of available resources. Justified exceptions to this policy can be brought to the Committee on Academic Standards for decision.

The following course numbers will be used to indicate independent studies:
398 for Junior Independent Studies
498 for Senior Independent Studies

Directed Studies are open to all students in good academic standing except first semester freshman. In such projects the student works closely with the instructor on an individual basis. The instructor will provide evaluations and guidance at least one hour per week during the tenure of the project. Departmental approval shall follow the same formula as that for independent studies.

The following course numbers will be used to indicate directed studies:
199 for Second Semester Freshmen Directed Studies
299 for Sophomore Directed Studies
399 for Junior Directed Studies
499 for Senior Directed Studies

A student may take no more than two independent and four directed studies during a four-year career and no more than two independent and two directed studies during a two-year career. No more than four studies of any combination with the above guidelines may be taken with the same instructor unless the Committee on Academic Standards grants special permission.

Registration deadlines are listed with the Adding/Dropping Courses policy elsewhere on this page. Registration forms are available from the Office of the Registrar. Completed forms, including departmental approval, must be on file in the Office of the Registrar.

| top |


Internships are academic experiences supervised primarily by a Hartwick faculty member in cooperation with an on-site work supervisor. They are open to all students, although some departments limit them to juniors and seniors. Each department retains its own specific requirements for students wishing to undertake internships. However, the following requirements govern overall:

  1. After conferring with his or her academic advisor, each student (except as indicated in point 4 below) shall write an Internship Agreement in consultation with a faculty supervisor and work supervisor. The Agreement: a) provides the student with a sound foundation for pursuing the on-site experience, b) articulates the educational merit of the internship as it enriches and expands the student's knowledge and/or skills in a specific field, c) reflects the relationship between the student's goals and objectives for the internship and his or her total academic program, d) establishes how often and by what means the faculty supervisor will communicate with the work supervisor and the student during the internship, e) outlines the basis upon which the intern will be evaluated and graded by the faculty supervisor. 
  2. The Internship Agreement requires the approval of the faculty supervisor, department chair, work supervisor, and internship coordinator. 
  3. The signed Internship Agreement must be submitted to the coordinator on or before a specified date during the semester preceding the proposed internship. The internship coordinator will send a copy of the agreement to the Office of the Registrar, whereupon the student will be officially registered for the internship. In addition, a copy will be sent to the student, the faculty supervisor and the work supervisor. 
  4. The only exceptions to the use of the Internship Agreement will be for those students officially registered in the following Hartwick-affiliated internship programs: The Washington Center and American University in Washington, DC, the Philadelphia Center (GLCA), The Boston Semester, Educational Programmes Abroad, and the Nursing Department's senior independent study during January. 
  5. A one-month January internship shall receive no more than four semester hours of credit. With the exception of internships arranged through affiliated internship programs listed above, internships outside of the January Term normally receive two to six semester hours of credit.
  6. The maximum limit for internship credit over a student's four-year academic program is 12 credits.

The following course numbers are used for internships:
195 Freshman
295 Sophomore
395 Junior
495 Senior

Registration for an internship establishes the same commitment as registering for a course and therefore follow a similar add/drop and withdrawal schedule, unless an exception is granted by the Internship Coordinator and the Registrar.

| top |

January Term (J-Term) Participation

First year (freshmen) students that matriculate in the fall term are required to register for at least three academic credits in the January Term of their first academic year. Registering for a course in January Term, although not required, is highly recommended for non-first year students. Any student that does not wish to register for a course in January Term must file a leave of absence with the Registrar's Office. A first year student requesting a leave must have it approved by the Registrar. If a student does not file a leave of absence and does not register for a course in January Term, he or she will be withdrawn from the institution in compliance with the policy on Administrative Withdrawal found elsewhere in the catalog. Any student filing a leave of absence for January Term must complete and submit a 'Request to Return from a Leave of Absence' form to the Registrar's Office prior to returning for a future term. 

| top |

Non-Credit Study

In order to provide special educational experiences for individuals in our community, Hartwick offers the opportunity to enroll in many regular courses on a non-credit basis at a very modest cost, provided there are openings in the courses after the pre-registration period has ended. Non-credit courses are not recorded by the Registrar's Office, and no grades are issued. Such study cannot be applied toward a degree at Hartwick or any other institution.

Not all courses at the college may be taken for non-credit. Classes in studio art, music performance, computer science and off-campus courses and programs are not eligible. All pre-requisites or other restrictions on courses apply to non-credit enrollments. For each non-credit enrollment, the approval of the instructor teaching the course is required. Registration as a non-credit student entitles you to classroom attendance only.

Charges must be paid at the Student Accounts office before the beginning of each course. Check with the Student Accounts office for a current fee schedule. Persons 62 years of age or older are eligible for a Senior Citizen Fee Waiver and may enroll at no charge.

| top |

Official Transcripts

A permanent transcript for each student is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Each student is entitled to one certified transcript of college credits without cost upon graduation (this is included with the diploma). A fee is charged for each additional transcript. The Office of the Registrar does not issue unofficial transcripts to students. Students may obtain an unofficial transcript via their WebAdvisor accounts.

No transcript of a student's permanent record will be issued without written authorization from the student. No telephone, fax or third-party requests will be honored. Members of the faculty or administration may have access to the records if they have a legitimate interest in and demonstrate a need for the information.

College policy permits the withholding of a transcript until a student's debts, including library and traffic fines, have been paid.

| top |

Overall Average Honors - Laude

Upon degree completion, students are awarded degrees with honor as follows:

  • Summa cum laude-3.85 or higher cumulative grade point average
  • Magna cum laude-3.65 or higher cumulative grade point average
  • Cum laude-3.4 or higher cumulative grade point average

A student who has transferred academic credit to Hartwick College is eligible to graduate with honors only if the grade point average for the student's entire college career, including grades received for transfer courses, falls into one of the categories above. In accordance with the Access to Release Educational Records policy found elsewhere on this page, students may request to view transcripts on file from non-Hartwick institutions at any time.

| top |

Protection Against Prejudicial or Capricious Grading

A student should have protection against prejudicial and capricious grading. The following policy is established for reviewing complaints about end-of-term grades: the student shall first consult the professor and Department Chair; if no agreement is reached, the student may then bring the case to the Committee on Academic Standards. The Committee shall serve as a review board and, if a change seems justified, the Committee shall be empowered to recommend a change of grade to the professor.

| top |

Readmission (from Withdrawal, Academic Dismissal or for a Second Degree)

Any student who has withdrawn, been academically dismissed from the institition or is interested in returning to complete a second degree after graduation is eligible to apply for readmission. A student applying for readmission must submit a readmission application at least 15 business days prior to the start of a term.

To be considered for readmission, a student must complete the following steps prior to the desired term of reentry:

  1. Complete and submit the Application for Readmission form to the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Request that official transcripts from colleges or universities attended while away from Hartwick College to be sent to the Office of the Registrar at least one week prior to the start of the desired reentry term.
  3. If you are applying for readmission from an academic dismissal you must provide an additional essay describing any and all activities in which you have been engaged during your time away from Hartwick that you believe will contribute positively to achieving your academic goals.

The readmission review process begins when all application materials have been received.

Please note: A student who was academically dismissed is eligible to apply readmission through the Office of the Registrar with acceptance decisions subject to approval by CAS.

A student who has graduated from Hartwick and wishes to return to complete a second degree must apply for readmission through the Registrar's Office. Upon readmission the student is considered a transfer and up to 60 of his or her prior Hartwick credits may be applied toward the new degree.

| top |

Second Degree
effective July 1, 2014
Students who wish to earn two degrees must satisfy the major requirements of a department in each area and complete an additional 30 credits for a total of at least 150 credits. Performance music credits beyond 12 credits WICK 101, Transfer Transitions, and Physical Education credits do not count toward this requirement. It is assumed that students pursuing this option will complete an extra year of study. Students may only pursue a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree under this policy. Pursuing two Bachelor of Arts or two Bachelor of Science degrees is not permitted.

| top |

Special Students (Non-Degree Seeking, Part Time Students)

In special cases students who are not matriculated at Hartwick or other institutions may be admitted as part-time students (taking no more than 8 credits in the fall and spring terms, and 4 credits in January term). The standards for admission for special students are comparable to those that govern those who apply for matriculated status.

Students with no Hartwick affiliation desiring special student status must contact the Admissions Office for an application.  students wishing to enroll must contact the Office of Academic Affairs for an application. Students with a Hartwick affiliation (spouse, parent, etc.) desiring special student status must contact the Office of Office of the Registrar for an application. Special students will be required to provide official collegiate transcripts and may be requested to provide official secondary school transcripts with test scores prior to admission. Upon acceptance, students may register in classes on a space-available basis, with instructor approval, assuming they have satisfied course prerequisites. 

Special students must submit a special student application each term in order to remain active. If an application is not received for the term immediately following the first term a student registers for a course, he or she is made inactive. 

Tuition and fees for Special Students are found on the Student Accounts web site

| top |

Standards of NYS Student Aid Eligibility

Academic Eligibility for NYS Student Aid (including scholarships and TAP): The following academic eligibility requirements apply for the granting of New York State student aid:

Enrollment Requirements
Awards are granted only to full-time matriculated students. According to state guidelines, full-time students must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits for the Fall Term and 12 credits for the January/Spring terms. Repeating a course does not count toward the required number of courses for that term. The State Education Department permits the January Term to be used with the Spring Term only and it cannot be used to make up a Fall Term deficiency. Every recipient must have a major declared or an ISP approved by the end of the sophomore year. Failure to meet enrollment requirements results in loss of the award for that term.

Program Pursuit

Satisfactory program pursuit is defined as receiving a passing or failing grade in a certain percentage of afull-time course load in each term for which an award is received. The percentage increases from 50 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term of study in the first year for which an award is received, to 75 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term of study in the second year for which an award is received, to 100 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term thereafter.

Students must complete (with a grade of A, B, C, D or F) a minimum number of courses each term as follows:

  • 6 credits per term in the first year an award is received;
  • 9 credits per term in the second year an award is received;
  • 12 credits per term each term thereafter.

Incompletes are permitted if the course is finished prior to the end of the next term.

In addition, a certain number of credits must be accrued (successfully completed with grades of A, B, C or D) and a minimum cumulative GPA attained each term as follows:

Before being certified for this payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Minimum number of credits accrued 0 3 9 21 33 45 60 75 90 105
Minimum GPA 0 1.1 1.2 1.3 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

For Students first receiving aid in 2010-11 and thereafter.

Before being certified for this payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Minimum number of credits accrued 0 6 15 27 39 51 66 81 96 111
Minimum GPA 0 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

Failure to meet program pursuit or satisfactory academic progress requirements results in the loss of the award for the subsequent term. A student may request a waiver of the above standards ONLY ONE TIME as an undergraduate. Request will be considered on an individual basis and granted only for exceptional or extraordinary circumstances relating to death of a close relative, serious personal illness or injury, or other personal extenuating circumstances. The request for waiver will be reviewed and determined by the certifying officer and the Registrar.

For information regarding New York State Awards, contact the Higher Education Services Corporation, Office of Grants and Awards, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12255,, or your high school guidance counselor.

| top |

SUNY Oneonta Exchange Program

Through a cooperative arrangement students from Hartwick College or the SUNY Oneonta may enroll in courses on the other campus without paying tuition and the comprehensive fee. The program is coordinated through the Registrars' Offices at Hartwick and SUNY Oneonta. The following guidelines govern registration:

  1. Hartwick students must be matriculated and enrolled full-time in Fall or Spring (12 credits) at Hartwick before registering for a SUNY Oneonta course.
  2. Hartywick students may take only one course per academic term at SUNY Oneonta.
  3. Hartwick students may not register at SUNY Oneonta for a course available on their own campus, even if that course is not offered in the present term. (There may be an exception for a student whose graduation plans may have to be postponed.)
  4. Hartwick students may consult SUNY Oneonta's schedule of classes on-line to select a course and find instructor contact information. When a student selects a course and receives permission from the instructor to enroll, the Registrar's Office will contact SUNY Oneonta, after their students have registered, to see if an opening exists. If so, the registration will be made.

This Exchange Program is not available in January or during the summer. The letter grade earned at SUNY Oneonta through this program will be calculated in Hartwick grade point average. Courses cannot be taken as pass/fail. The form for registering for SUNY Oneonta exchange is found on this web site.

| top |

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit from nationally and regionally accredited colleges is given for courses substantially similar to those offered at Hartwick College, completed with a grade of C or higher, or the equivalent. A student may only transfer in 60 credits toward a Hartwick College degree with the exception of students enrolled in the Nursing Partnership Program (PNOP) who may transfer in up to 90. Grades for courses taken elsewhere are included when determining a student's eligibility for honors at Commencement but are not posted on the transcript. A grade of 'CR' (credit) is entered for all transfer courses. Credit earned for transfer courses is posted on the student's transcript and counts toward the overall number of academic credits required for graduation. The Office of the Registrar is responsible for evaluating all transfer credit for new and current students, and the final decision on whether or not to allow a course to transfer lies with the Registrar.

Hartwick accepts Mathematics credit for transfer courses below the pre-calculus level but does not count those courses (like algebra) toward the Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum. Hartwick does not count transfer courses towards the Writing Requirement (e.g. a Composition Course completed at another institution cannot be used to satisfy ENGL 110 Composition at Hartwick). Courses that are too technical in nature or too dissimilar from courses at Hartwick, like courses for Electrical Engineering or Microsoft Excel for Budgeting, are not eligible for transfer. As previously stated, courses must be similar to those offered at Hartwick to be eligible for transfer.

Hartwick College generally will honor the associate of arts or associate of science degree from accredited colleges by offering the equivalent of two years of credit. Associate degree candidates who are admitted must meet the Hartwick College graduation requirements; it is possible that this may take longer than two years in some cases.

Courses Taken Elsewhere by Current Students
Any course a student wishes to transfer after he or she has matriculated must be approved by the Registrar. A course intended to count toward a declared major must also be approved by the Chair of the Department in which the credit will apply (these courses must also be approved by the Registrar, however). A course intended to count toward the Liberal Arts in Practice (LAiP) general education curriculum or as an elective must be approved by the Registrar. Approval by a Department Chair is not required for LAiP or elective courses.

All requests for course approval must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar using the Non-Hartwick Course Approval form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. After submission to the Office of the Registrar please allow a minimum of two business days for a decision.

Process for Requesting Transfer Credit Approval - Current Students

  1. Select courses that will transfer to major, as LAiP requirements or as electives. Do so by finding courses that are similar to those offered at Hartwick.
  2. Obtain a Non-Hartwick Course Approval form (available online or in the Registrar's Office). Fill out the form completely and attach detailed course descriptions.
  3. Obtain signatures for courses in the major.
  4. Return the completed form to the Registrar's Office.
  5. Wait two business days for a decision. When a copy of the approved form is received, check to see that ALL courses have been approved. If a course has not been approved, credit will not be awarded for it.
  6. If a course was not approved, select another and follow the steps above.

Transfer Credit Approval Process for New Students
New or incoming students must submit transcripts of courses completed, showing final grades, to the Office of Admissions. Once Admissions receives the transcripts they will be sent to a Transfer Credit Evaluator for review. The Transfer Credit Evaluator will determine which courses are eligible for transfer and contact the student with a final transfer credit equivalency report showing how the transfer credit will apply to the Hartwick degree within five business days. The Transfer Credit Evaluator may contact the student if he or she requires more information to determine how to apply specific courses to the degree program (this is usually accomplished by requesting a course description).

European Transfer Credit System (ETCS)

The European Transfer Credit System (ETCS) is used throughout Europe.

2 ECTS credits = 1 Hartwick credit (for 5 credit ECTS courses, Hartwick will award 3 academic credits)

Liberal studies course-work is not usually part of degree programs in Europe and most undergraduate degree programs are completed in only 3 years.  A second year course is usually preceded by a full year's worth (approx. 30 Hartwick credits) of coursework in the discipline.  Therefore a 1st year course is usually considered lower division; a 2nd year course is equivalent to a 300 level course; and a 3rd year course is equivalent to a 400 level course.

| top |

Visiting Students at Hartwick

Visiting students are matriculated students in good standing at other campuses who wish to pursue coursework at Hartwick that is uniquely relevant to their educational programs. Visiting students may enroll in a normal course load at Hartwick, so long as they have explicit permission from their home colleges. Such students must submit an official statement documenting their status in good standing and the approval of the Dean or other designated authority from the student's home institution to the Office of the Registrar. No other application information is required. If a visiting student subsequently applies for regular admission to Hartwick, full admissions documentation must be presented.

| top |

Waiver of Academic Requirements

Requests for waivers of academic requirements must be addressed to the Committee on Academic Standards. Petitions should be addressed to the committee and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Requests for waiver of Liberal Arts in Practice general education requirements must be addressed to the Dean of Academic Affairs.

| top |

Waiver of Foreign Language Requirement

International students whose first language is not English or who spoke at home a language other than English will be waived from the foreign language requirement. This waiver can include students from countries whose official language is English if the preceding conditions are fulfilled.

If a U.S. citizen was born elsewhere, attended secondary school in that country, and studied a language other than English, s/he may be waived from the foreign language requirement based on the secondary school document.

U.S. students are required to fulfill the foreign language requirement. If a student speaks a language other than English at home, s/he may take a proficiency test in that language to fulfill the requirement.

| top |

Waiver of Physical Education Requirement

Any student aged 25 or over is eligible for a waiver of the general education Physical Education Requirement. Eligible students wishing to request a waiver must submit their request, in writing, to the Office of the Registrar.

| top |