A poster presentation is basically a two-dimensional version of an oral presentation, displayed on a wall. Posters may, in fact, be several small mounted panels of text and images or one large computer-printed sheet of paper. This may include some two-dimensional graphic arts projects. Posters will be hung on walls, panels, or easels. Be sure to specify if you need a specific wall space size or an easel in the REQUIREMENTS section of your application form.
At Hartwick’s Showcase, your poster will be on display all day at a location assigned by the Showcase Planning Committee. You will be assigned a specific time frame (about one hour), during which you will stand with your poster to explain the project and answer questions observers may have.
Although your poster will be displayed all day, do not expect to store any other materials at the poster session site, as the location may be open to the public (not secure). Bring all other belongings with you for your assigned poster session and take them away with you when you leave. Poster sessions will NOT have tables or access to electricity.
Many academic societies and organizations use poster sessions as a presentation method at conferences, and specifications for the overall size of the poster, the size of text on the poster, etc. are likely to vary by discipline and organization. Please check with your department mentor to be sure your poster meets appropriate specifications. If you will be presenting your research at a conference as well, please check with your faculty mentor(s) to make sure your poster conforms to the requirements of the organization.
Posters made for Hartwick's Showcase must be no larger than 40 inches high by 48 inches wide. Posters larger than this will be allowed if: 1. The poster was previously used for a conference presentation, 2. You specify the larger poster size in the REQUIREMENTS section on your application. For details on making your poster, download the Tips for Making Your Showcase Poster, pdf document.
Funds in the Student Showcase budget allow the Showcase Planning Committee to cover up to $30 for the cost of printing a single poster for a student on a first-come, first-served basis. Any reprinting of posters due to errors will be done at the presenter's expense, and only if there is time.
The Copy Center, Clark Hall, has a printer available for printing Showcase posters. Currently the price is approximately$1.75/sq. ft. for matte finish and $2.75/sq .ft. for glossy finish (price as of 3/6/15). Poster size is 40 inches high by a maximum of 48 inches wide. Remember to proofread and double-check your document size so that it will print properly on the poster printer. You will have to pay for any reprints caused by typos and formatting mistakes. The preferred format for your poster is .pdf.
To assist you with scheduling your poster printing needs, please use this view-only, on-line calendar web link Poster Printing Calendar.
- Navigate to the "Week" tab to view what hour is available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., M-F for each poster request.
- Email your preferred hour(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The calendar will be updated with first come-first served email requests.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your time-slot(s) and estimated turn-around time(s), typically same-day or next-day service, in addition to requesting your poster specifics listed below.
- If you have questions, please contact the Copy Center at 607-431-4522.
- Poster creation sessions offered by Copy Center staff are scheduled for: April 14 from 5-6 p.m. in Eaton Lounge, Bresee Hall and April 15 from 5-6 p.m. in Chesboro Room, Dewar Union.
- For details on making your poster, download The Tips for Making Your Showcase Poster, pdf document.