About the Library

Yager Hall

The Stevens-German Sisters

The Hartwick College Library is named in honor of two sisters, Mrs. Orin L. (Helena Pruyn) Stevens and Mrs. Henry (Sarah Pruyn) German, philanthropists and generous donors to Hartwick College. Mrs. Stevens was a fashion consultant for Marshall Fields in Chicago until her retirement in 1952. Mrs. German was an elementary school teacher. Having both been widowed, they returned to Oneonta, their birthplace and lived with their cousin Miss Lillian A. Slade.

All three women were descendants of Mr. Sherman Slade upon whose property were found many of the artifacts and relics in the Hartwick College American Indian Collection. Mrs. Stevens died in January 1991 at the age of 99. Mrs. German married a longtime friend of both sisters, Chandra Kaly, in August 1991. Mr. Kaly was an actor and director of theater in New York City. The couple died in an automobile accident in 1994.


Library Floors & Collections

Fourth Floor – Main Entrance
Atlas Collection
Circulation & Reserves Desk
Classroom 415
Computer Lab & Training Classroom 409
Current Magazines
Current Newspapers
DVD/VHS Collection
DVD/VHS Viewing Stations
Group Study Room 413
Interlibrary Loan & Periodicals Office
Library Director’s Office
Microfilm Reader & Printer
Music CDs
New Books
Photocopiers
Printers
Reference Collection
Research Assistance
Scanners

Third Floor
Book Collection: Call Numbers A – DB
Juvenile Collection (The Pit)
Microfilm
Music Scores (The Pit)
Newspapers
Open Reserves
Oversize Books (The Pit)
Periodicals
Rare Book Room
Technical Services: Acquisitions & Cataloging
The Pit

Second Floor
Archives & Record Center
Book Collection: Call Numbers DC – Z
Media Services
Restrooms
Water Fountain

 

Back To Top