Campus History Exhibit
The Hartwick College campus has changed considerably in the eighty years since the college has been in Oneonta.
Groundbreaking on Oyaron Hill for Bresee Hall.
This classic Georgian Colonial style campus plan was used by Thomas Jefferson at the University of Virginia. Due to finances, only the building to the right of the rotunda was ever built at Hartwick. Students are very amused by this campus plan, as it does not reflect the steep grade of their beloved hillside campus! Science Hall on hillside c. 1929 Classes began in 1928 at the Walling Mansion in downtown Oneonta. In December of 1929, the students and faculty marched up the hill to the newly completed Science Hall - a lone statue on the hillside and the only campus building for nearly 20 years. In 1954 is was renamed in honor of Frank Harmon Bresee, a local merchant and avid supporter of the College. Campus c. 1951 Following WWII, the Federal Works Agency erected two temporary buildings: The Arts Building, fondly known as "Cardboard Alley" for the arts, music and theater; and the Field House with a gym and locker rooms. Due to finances only half of Arnold Hall could be built, accommodating the library. In addition, the College purchased a former barracks from the Sampson Naval Base to serve as a Dormitory, and constructed temporary married student housing, known as "Splinterville," for returning veterans.
By 1961 many of the temporary buildings had been torn down, three permanent dormitories constructed - Dewar, Leitzell and Holmes, and the south wing of Arnold completed.
The 1960s witnessed a massive construction frenzy on campus which included four dormitories,a large science complex, a new physical education building, and a centrally located library and museum.
The two post-war Federal Works Agency buildings were torn down by the mid-1970s and replaced with a chapel at the campus entrance, and a unique Center for the Arts.
By 1996, the campus campus included a health center, two additional dormitories, a quadrangle apartment complex, and an expansive educational building for offices, classrooms and labs.
Recent changes on campus include the renovation of several existing dormitories and other campus buildings, and the completion of Golisano Hall, Hartwick's newest, state of the art classroom building, in 2008. Golisano Hall is a green, LEED certified building.
Arnold Rain Garden was opened to the Hartwick Community on September 1, 2009. The garden is named for Dr. Henry J. Arnold, the college's third president, for whom Arnold Hall (formerly located on this site) was dedicated in 1959. Having housed the library, chapel and a memorial tower, Arnold Hall was the second building erected on Hartwick's campus, and served as an academic building from 1968 to 2008.
The Arnold Rain Garden was designed to support the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification of adjacent Golisano Hall. The garden is part of a watershed system that assures the careful management of groundwater. The vegetation in this garden is native to this region and the flowering plants have been selected to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. This space provides a place for members of our community to pause and reflect upon the beauty of the Hartwick campus and the Susquehanna Valley.
Opened in 2014, the William V. Campbell H'10 Fitness Center is a 6,500 square foot, state-of-the-art exercise facility designed to meet the needs of all students. The fitness center is named in honor of William V. Campbell H'10, Chairman of the Board Directors of Intuit Inc., who made a leadership gift to the Campaign for Hartwick Students.
Improvements to Dewar Hall in 2014 include the renovation of Stack Lounge, a centralized space on campus that serves as a living room for our extended family. The lounge area is dedicated to students, providing a place to catch up with friends between classes, to play or watch a game, to grab a cup of coffee with a professor.
The exterior of the renovated Stack Lounge in 2015.