• A Hartwick professor helping out a student.
  • Hartwick geology students conducting field survey
  • Yager Hall, Hartwick College
  • Yager Bell Tower, Hartwick College

Transfer FAQs

Q: Who transfers to Hartwick?

A: Each year approximately 60 transfer students enter the College. Transfer students may join the community at the beginning of the fall semester or the spring semester. While some colleges and universities review transfer applications only after the first-year students have been selected, the admissions office at Hartwick College reviews transfer applications on a rolling basis. 

Transfer candidates are individuals who have matriculated and received academic credit from another institution. Our transfer students come from both two- and four-year colleges.

Q: What is the minimal required GPA for transfer students?

A: A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale is required to be considered; however, a GPA of 2.0 or higher does not automatically guarantee acceptance to the College.

Q: If I was previously accepted as a first-year student to Hartwick but chose to attend another institution, do I still have to re-apply as a transfer student?

A: You must send a letter or email to the admissions office requesting that your application be re-activated and indicate that you wish to be considered for transfer admission for a specific term of entry.  If there have been no changes in your personal information, the first part of the application does not have to be completed a second time. A final high school transcript, current college transcript(s) and a personal statement indicating what you have done since high school and why you wish to transfer to Hartwick are required. You may also submit a Dean/Academic Advisor Evaluation and/or a Professor recommendation. 

Q: Is on-campus housing guaranteed for transfer students?

A: All Hartwick students are guaranteed housing for four years. Hartwick is a residential college, and its students have a three-year residency requirement; seniors have the option of moving off-campus. Commuting students and those with special permission are exempt from this requirement.

Q: Are transfer students allowed to have cars on campus?

A: All Hartwick students are allowed to have a car on campus. Students are only permitted to register vehicles belonging to themselves or their parents or legal guardians. Exceptions may be made by the director of campus security.

Q: Is financial aid available for transfer students?

A: Applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply for financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and work-study programs. Applicants for a second undergraduate degree are not eligible for financial aid. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of need, but is dependent on the availability of funds. If all necessary materials for the financial aid application have been submitted, an accepted student who has applied for financial assistance will receive the financial aid package shortly after the admissions decision letter. A student applying for financial aid must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Hartwick College Application for Financial Aid forms. Tax returns, Federal and New York State (if applicable), and W-2s are also required. Transfer students must submit financial aid transcripts from all institutions attended to the Hartwick College financial aid office; a financial aid package will not be prepared without this information. 

Q: Are there merit-based scholarships for transfer students?

A: Hartwick College recognizes and awards those transfer students who are well qualified and highly motivated with a proven track record. The renewable scholarships range from $5,000-$24,000. We do not require a separate application for scholarships; a transfer applicant is automatically considered for scholarships when the transfer application is submitted.

Q: How long will it take to earn a degree from Hartwick College?

A: Transfer students are required to complete 60 academic credits at Hartwick and complete all Hartwick College graduation requirements. This normally takes two academic years, but can sometimes be accomplished sooner.  Depending on the academic program completion could take longer.  

Q: How will credits transfer to Hartwick?

A: Once a transfer student has been accepted, the transcripts will be evaluated by the College’s Registrar. You should receive your Transfer Credit Evaluation within a week of receiving your acceptance letter. Generally, only traditional liberal arts and science types of classes will be deemed acceptable. Courses accepted from other institutions should be comparable to those in the current Hartwick College catalogue. Only courses with grades of C or better will be transferable. A maximum of 60 semester hours of credit may be transferred. Hartwick College will generally honor an associate of arts or associate of science degree from accredited colleges by offering the equivalent of two years of credit.

Q: Is an admissions interview required?

A: An admissions interview is not required, although it is highly recommended. We view the interview as an informational tool for both the admissions office and the transfer applicant. In an interview situation, the applicant may be able to explain more fully his or her unique set of circumstances and desire for transfer. 

Q: Do transfer students have to apply separately to the Art program or to the Music program?

A: Applicants intending to declare a major in art must provide a supplemental portfolio. The faculty of the department of art and art history will review the portfolio of a prospective major prior to acceptance into the major. For additional information visit the art major declaration page or call 607-431-4825 to arrange a portfolio review. 

If you are planning to pursue music as a major field of study you are required to have an audition. Auditions are held periodically throughout the academic year both on and off campus. For additional information visit the music auditions page or call 607-431-4800.

Q: How can students contact the admissions or financial aid offices?

A: The admissions office phone number is 888-HARTWICK (888-427-8942) or 607-431-4150; the fax number is 607-431-4154; the e-mail address is admissions@hartwick.edu. For more admissions information you may complete the request form. The financial aid office number if 607-431-4130 and the e-mail address is finaid@hartwick.edu.

*Complete overview of our Transfer Credit Policy

Know the Facts.
17The number of varsity athletic teams at Hartwick.