•  Scanning the skies at the Wright Observatory
  • Hartwick student performance
  • Yager Hall Bell Tower at sunrise, Hartwick College
  • Bresee Hall, Hartwick College

Visa Information

What is a Visa?
A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry and request permission from the U.S. immigration officer to enter the United States. It does not guarantee entry into the U.S. For more information about the definition of a visa, as well as policies and procedures regarding visas, please visit Destination USA.

What type of visa do I need to become an academic student in the U.S.?
Most non-U.S. citizens who wish to study in the U.S. will seek an F-1 non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other visa types that are sometimes authorized for those who study in the U.S.

  • F-1 or Student Visa: This visa is the most common for those who wish to engage in academic studies in the U.S. It is for people who want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.
  • J-1 or Exchange Visit: This visa is for people who will be participating in an exchange visitor program in the U.S. The "J" visa is for education and cultural exchange programs.
  • M-1 or Student Visa: This visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or vocational study or training at an institution in the U.S.

How do I get a visa?
Upon acceptance to Hartwick College, you will receive an I-20 AB form that will be completed by Godlove Fonjweng, fonjwengg@hartwick.edu, the Designated School Official and International Student Advisor. Once you decide that you will be attending Hartwick College, you will need to sign the I-20, pay the Visa Fee called I-901 at https://www.fmjfee.com , and then schedule a visa appointment with your closest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate (found by going to Destination USA).

Know the facts.
183The number of students-faculty projects supported by Freedman Prizes since 2004-05.