Motor Vehicle Regulations
The Office of Campus Safety is in direct charge of all campus parking and traffic control. Traffic regulations apply to all persons using Hartwick College facilities. All vehicles must be registered with the campus safety office and have a current valid state registration decal properly displayed at all times. All registered vehicles will be allowed to display one valid Hartwick College decal only. Decals are available at the Office of Campus Safety.
Operators wanting to register their vehicles without a valid state registration will be asked to park their respective vehicle in the Upper Binder lot until valid state registration has been provided to the Office of Campus Safety. In the event that an operator of a motor vehicle on the campus does not possess a valid state registration, she/he should notify the Office of Campus Safety. All unregistered vehicles will be ticketed after one business day without notification.
- Operators wanting to register a vehicle must present a valid license, current registration, college ID to Campus Safety.
All vehicles must be registered in the state of the license issuance and must be covered by public liability insurance. The individual in whose name the vehicle has been registered will be responsible for all violations of said vehicle.
No unregistered motor vehicles are permitted on Hartwick College property including, but not limited to, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc.
In emergency or other special situations, the Director of Campus Safety shall have the right to implement different regulations depending on the circumstances. Information will be deciminated via email. In the event that the city of Oneonta declares a snow emergency, individuals who have lost their parking privileges may park on campus, but only in the lower Yager or Upper Binder lots. They must remove their vehicles when the emergency is over.
- All motor vehicle operators must possess a valid state license. The operator of a motor vehicle on the Hartwick College campus must possess her/his license at all times when operating any motor vehicle. Failure to present a valid state license to any safety officer upon request will result in issuance of a summons for unlicensed operation.
- All students, employees, and visitors shall adhere to all signs on the campus and comply with the directives of campus safety officers at all times. At the request of the campus safety officer, a student or employee shall present her/his College identification card, driver’s license, vehicle registration, and vehicle insurance identification card. The campus safety officer may at her/his discretion, retain the identification and submit the same to the Office of Campus Safety.
- Only authorized College-owned vehicles are permitted on the Table Rock/Strawberry Field areas. All others will be ticketed and towed away at the owner’s expense.
- The Director of Campus Safety shall have the authority at all times and particularly in situations involving unusual crowds, snow removal, building construction, or emergencies on the campus, to park and route traffic as seems best to meet the situation. In these circumstances, the Director of Campus Safety shall have the authority to decide and publicize by appropriate notices, signs for directions and regulations as deemed necessary to regulate traffic control.
- No persons shall alter, deface, move, obstruct, or interfere with any traffic or control sign on the campus.
- All guests of Hartwick College students shall conform with these regulations. It is the responsibility of any person with a guest to have them register their vehicle with the Office of Campus Safety, or switchboard after normal business hours, and display a guest pass on their vehicle. Hosts are responsible for any parking violations of their guests.
- Under the College's Vehicle Use Policy, all employees, students, and volunteers are required to complete a driver authorization form prior to driving a college vehicle OR a personally-owned or rental vehicle on college business or for a college related activity. Once driver authorization is granted, drivers must sign the Vehicle Use Policy and return it to the Dispatch Desk/Switchboard, Dewar Union.