Certificates of Insurance

Hartwick College requires proof of insurance coverage from businesses that work for us or use campus facilities. The College should be added as an "additional insured" on the vendor's insurance for the effective dates.

Additionally, some vendors ask the College to provide proof of our insurance coverage.  If a vendor requires a certificate of insurance from us, contact Risk Management and provide the date(s) for the event, contact name, phone number and address, the legal name of the company requesting the certificate, and whether it should be named as an additional insured on the College's insurance for this event. Please allow two business days to process.

Departments are required to request a certificate of insurance from a vendor. One copy should be kept in the department and the original must be sent to Risk Management.

Hartwick College Instructions for Insurance

Hartwick College's minimum requirements for insurance from contractors and vendors performing work on campus are listed below. Contractors are required to provide the College with a certificate of insurance that will be in effect throughout the duration of the project, unless specified otherwise. Contractors are responsible for subcontractors meeting the same minimum requirements, and providing evidence of such subcontractor coverage at the College's request.

Liability Insurance and Workers Compensation: 

Workers Compensation:  New York State statutory limits

General Liability (includes premises-operation, independent contractors' protection, products and completed operations, broad form property damage):

  • Bodily Injury:  $1,000,000 each occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate
  • Property Damage: $1,000,000 each occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate

Products and completed operations insurance shall be maintained for a minimum period of 3 years after final payment and the Contractor shall continue to provide evidence of such coverage to the College on an annual basis during the aforementioned period.

Property damage liability insurance shall include coverage for explosion, collapse, and underground hazards.

Contractual Liability / Hold Harmless coverage:

  • Bodily injury: $1,000,000 each occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate
  • Property Damage: $1,000,000 each occurrence / $2,000,000
  • Personal Injury Insurance (with employment exclusion deleted, if applicable): $1,000,000 aggregate
  • If the General Liability policy includes a General Aggregate, such General Aggregate shall not be less than $2,000,000

Umbrella Excess Liability:  $5,000,000 over primary insurance

Automobile Liability (owned, non-owned, and hired):  Combined single limit $1,000,000  per occurrence

Aircraft Liability (owned and not owned):  Bodily Injury: $1,000,000 each person/ $2,000,000 each accident 

Watercraft Liability (owned and not owned):

  • Bodily Injury: $1,000,000 each person / $2,000,000 each accident
State Disability Benefits: State statutory limits 

Property Insurance

The Contractor shall provide insurance coverage for portions of the work stored off-site, in transit, and stored on the site but not incorporated into the work at the full replacement cost without voluntary deductible.


Appropriate documentation and certification of current, applicable insurance coverage must be provided to Hartwick College, 1 Hartwick Drive, Oneonta NY 13820 prior to commencement of work under the contract or agreement. Contractors performing facilities related work, unless otherwise specified, should submit documentation to Facilities Services. All other vendors and service contractors should submit documentation to Risk Management.