Our Services

The Counseling Center is charged with meeting the needs of students when their emotional difficulties interfere with their academic and/or social-emotional well-being. Counselors do so by providing individual and group counseling designed to provide support to students and to teach students appropriate skills for coping with life stresses.

Individual Counseling

Individual counseling is a process through which clients (the student) work one on one with a trained professional in a safe, caring, confidential environment. The counselor will support, guide and help facilitate the student to explore their feelings, thoughts, beliefs and behaviors; identify aspects of their life they would like to change; work through challenging or influential memories; better understand themselves and others; set personal goals and work toward a desired change.

The counseling center offers students the opportunity to utilize psychiatric medication management with a Hartwick employed Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, located at the counseling center.  The student must meet with a counselor in order to obtain a referral to this service; options will be discussed in confidence with the counselor. 

Call the counseling center to schedule an appointment: 607-431-4420 or you can email at counselingcenter@hartwick.edu

Group Counseling

Group counseling is a form of counseling in which a small number of people come together under the guidance of a professionally trained counselor to help themselves and one another. In group, not only do students receive tremendous understanding, support, and encouragement from others facing similar issues, but they also gain different perspectives, ideas, and viewpoints on those issues. Group counseling, like individual counseling is a powerful vehicle for growth and change, and is intended to help people who would like to gain support, increase self-awareness, and learn new ways to cope with personal or interpersonal challenges.

50-50 Peer Helpers

Hartwick college counseling center offers "Fifty-Fifty: A Peer Helping Service". 50-50 peer helpers are trained by the counseling center staff and other student affairs offices to offer para-professional counseling services in order to assist their peers by "meeting them halfway" and providing support. They do not give advice or make decisions for others, they will help you explore your options and assist you in making decisions that are best for you. They are not a replacement for professional counseling or professional service providers and will suggest a referral to the counseling center if necessary. They won't tell you what to do, they will help you decide what you want to do. These students are carefully selected and extensively trained to listen with an open mind, assist their peers to sort out their issues and help their peers to decide on a course of action.  

No appointment is needed, just drop in during office hours to meet with a 50-50 peer helper. The 50-50 office is located on the 3rd floor of Dewar Union. Office hours are: Mon-Fri, 11am-2pm and Sun-Thurs, 6-9pm. If you wish to schedule an appointment, call the 50-50 office at extension 5050 or email them at fiftyfifty@hartwick.edu.

Crisis Appointments

To help students who are experiencing a crisis or emergency, we provide crisis appointments Monday through Friday at 9:00am. These are brief, evaluative sessions where we provide you with options for treatment and any other available actions that are relevant to your immediate needs.

Community Referrals

Should a Hartwick student request a referral to an outside provider or require counseling or psychological services beyond those offered by the Counseling Center, counselors will work with the student in identifying community resources which meet his or her needs. Examples of services beyond those offered at the Counseling Center include long-term counseling requiring multiple sessions each week, counseling for students with eating disorders that require intensive medical, psychiatric and/or nutritional services, drug and alcohol assessment and treatment, and other similarly complex services as determined by the Director of Counseling. Students are responsible to follow-up on any referrals they may receive, and the student is responsible for the costs of any outside services.

Medical Leave of Absence

A medical leave of absence is for those students whose emotional or psychological/ psychiatric well-being would be better served by taking a semester or more away from Hartwick, for a more intensive form of treatment than the Counseling Center staff can reasonably provide.

Students seeking a medical leave must have a therapeutic relationship with a member of the College Counseling Center staff and/or a documented history of contact with a mental health professional(s) in which acute psychological distress has objectively been identified in order to receive consideration. A medical leave is granted upon approval of the Perrella Wellness Center Medical Director. Students on leave for emotional/ psychological issues may pre-register for classes or obtain housing before being cleared to return; however if a student is not cleared to return, the classes and housing assignment will be rescinded. This clearance is no sooner than 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester of planned re-entry.

A student wishing to return from a medical leave must have his or her attending health care provider or mental health professional write a letter attesting to the appropriateness of returning and any follow-up treatment that will be required once reinstated. Contact the Wellness Center or Counseling Center staff for further information.


The Counseling Center subscribes to the ethical standards of the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Counseling Association(ACA) and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). It is the policy of the Hartwick College Counseling Center to maintain the confidentiality of student records. The Counseling Center staff does not release personally identifiable information to any person or agency without prior written consent of the student involved.