Wellness FAQS

What does the Wellness Education office do?

The Health Promotion Office is responsible for providing information and programming that will provide you with the resources to make healthy decisions related to your wellbeing. This will be facilitated in many ways. Visit our Wellness Programs web page for more information on specific programming sponsored through the Wellness office.

What types of programs does the Wellness Office sponsor on campus?

There are a wide range of programs facilitated through the Health Promotion Office. Some of the programmatic topics are Healthy Eating, Communication, Alcohol Awareness, Sexual Responsibility, just to name a few.

What is Alcohol EDU?

Alcohol EDU is an on-line educational program disseminated to all of Hartwick's first-year students. This program is used to educate you on the use of alcohol and other drugs. The program is broken into two parts. Part 1 is completed before reporting to campus in August; and part 2 is completed shortly after school begins. Alcohol EDU also collects data on use of alcohol and the perception of others use.

Why should I complete Alcohol EDU?

Hartwick requires all first-year students to complete the educational program as a means of assisting you in your preparation for college. At Hartwick we feel that Alcohol EDU will give you valuable information and resources that will assist you in making responsible decisions throughout your college career, and the rest of your life.

If I am interested in wellness at Hartwick, how can I get involved?

You can contact Heidi Tanner, Coordinator of Health Promotions, in Dewar Union 410, 607-431-4500, to see how you can get involved in wellness programming at Hartwick College.

Is the Health Promotion Office part of Perrella Health Center?

No, the Health Promotion Office is a function within the Office of Student Affairs on the 4th floor of Dewar Union. However, Perrella Health Center and the Health Promotion Office collaborate often throughout the year.

Do you have information on alcohol, STD's, sexual responsibility, fitness, eating disorders, local resources, etc.?

There are many resources available through our webpage's. However there are also many resources available outside the Health Promotion Office 410 in Dewar Union. If you don't find what you are looking for, let me know and I will see what I can do to help!

I have class all day and I'm not able to stop up and gather resources.

Resources are available to students outside of normal business hours, as long as the 4th floor door is unlocked.  There are many pamphlets and brochures available on the 4th floor of Dewar Union in Student Affairs. 

What if I have a question that I am scared to ask someone face-to-face?

There are a number of ways that you can search for answers to your questions. Columbia University has a great website called Go Ask Alice!  Their site has both a search feature to research and see if someone has asked a similar question, and also offers you the opportunity to post a question and receive a specific response.

Can I schedule an appointment to come in and talk to the Coordinator of Health Promotion about my problems?

I am more than happy to sit and talk to any student who has questions about a specific topic. But I am not a licensed counselor, if you are looking for a counselor, you should contact someone in the Counseling Center at 607-431-4120.