Housing and Room Selection
Hartwick College is a residential liberal arts and sciences college. The Office of Residential Life and Housing offers a variety of experiential learning opportunities to our residential students to support their academic, social and personal success. As such, all students through their junior year are required to live in Hartwick College residence halls. Exemptions to this policy can be found below.
Part-time students cannot live in Hartwick College residence halls. In some cases, students in their final semester of their senior year may be eligible for an exception to this policy, dependent on the situation. These students must have the express written permission of the Director of Residential Life and Housing to live in on-campus College housing.
- a part-time student is considered to be:a student enrolled for seven credits or fewer during the Fall term
- a student enrolled for less than three credits during the January term
- a student enrolled for seven credits or fewer during the Spring term.
Any student, except for those with written permission from the Director of Residential Life and Housing who falls to the above part-time student criteria, will be removed from their on campus residence.
The following vacating schedule must be followed to allow proper cleaning and maintenance of rooms between residents:
- Any residents terminating occupancy at the end of any term must vacate their room within 24 hours after their last exam and no later than noon of the day following the end of the term.
- All summer residents must vacate their rooms by the last day of the program.
- Any student leaving on leave of absence, extended medical leave, or withdrawal must vacate his/her room within 24 hours of the effective date of leave (or withdrawal).
- Students may be required to leave their College residence immediately if found to be in violation of the College's General Rules of Conduct and/or considered a threat to themselves or others.
Students will incur a cleaning charge for any room left in unacceptable condition. Personal belongings remaining in a room will be removed by the College and may be discarded; students will be billed for their removal.
Exemptions to the Residency Requirements.
You are exempt from the college's Residency Policy if you can show that you are:
- 23 years of age or older (requires birth certificate).
- an approved commuter.
- married (requires marriage certificate). Hartwick College does not offer married/family housing.
- in a domestic partnership or civil union (requires document recognized by state where partnership/union is established). Hartwick College does not offer married/family housing.
- supporting dependent children (requires dependent birth certificates). Hartwick College does not offer married/family housing.
- a recognized fraternity/sorority member living at the recognized fraternity/sorority house (requires fraternity/sorority housing form signed by fraternity/sorority President)
- an approved Junior Lottery participant (must have written approval from the Office of Residential Life and Housing)
Students are strongly encouraged not to sign a lease until written approval is provided. Hartwick College students are billed for room and board until they have submitted all necessary paperwork and received written approval to live off campus from the Office of Residential Life.