• Hartwick Residential Life staff
  • Hartwick students snow tubing
  • Residential Life student staff
  • Residential Life staff

First-Year Housing Information

Residential Life and Housing

The professional staff and resident advisors in the Office of Residential Life and Housing provide tools and support to establish a strong sense of community, stimulate intellect, and encourage personal growth leading to a well-balanced living and learning environment. A large part of your Hartwick education will be learning to adapt to new people, new situations, and different points of view.

Students are required to live on campus through their junior year.

Rooms & Roommates

The Office of Residential Life and Housing will assign rooms and roommates for all first-year students based on their preferences on the Housing and Roommate Preference Questionnaire (HRPQ). First-year students must submit the HRPQ prior to the July 1 deadline. The HRPQ may be accessed from www.hartwick.edu/fyrequiredforms.

If you would prefer to select your own roommate, you must submit that person's name on the HRPQ. That student must submit your name on their HRPQ in order to guarantee roommates.

Please keep in mind that the HRPQ is used to select your roommate (if you have not done so) and your room on campus based on your preferences. It is not guaranteed that you will get every preference.

Housing Options

  • Mixed-gender floors: Both women and men on the same floor within a co-ed hall.
  • Single-gender floors: All-women and all-men floors within a co-ed hall.
  • Mixed Class year floors: First-year students through seniors living on the same floor.
  • All First-year: A residence hall with only first year students.
  • Theme Communities: Theme Communities offer students who share educational, social, and/or extracurricular interests the opportunity to live together.  Students will be able to explore their passions with a cohort of like-minded students and enjoy an increased sense of belonging.   The benefits of living in a Theme Community are:
    • Substance-free: For students who are committed to a lifestyle free from all mood-modifying substances, including alcohol and tobacco. Residents sign a contract to abstain from using such substances, on and off the floor. Those found in violation will be moved to different housing. Use of alcohol for those under 21 and the use of illegal substances are prohibited campus-wide.
    • Honors: Honors Housing provides students with a special experience by fusing residence hall living with honors learning, plus it provides a stimulating intellectual and social atmosphere for you to enjoy.  Honors Housing can allow for students to interact with other members of the honors community, contribute to an environment of mutual respect by recognizing differences in individuals, and allow learning to be ongoing. Students, who qualify, will be invited to join the Honor's Program and must submit the Honor's Program application
    • Pine Lake Environmental Campus: Pine Lake Environmental Campus provides students with opportunities for hands-on research, academic study, and self-discovery. Students can live in and learn from a primarily natural setting. Pine Lake is a place where challenge, reflection, and recreation can lead to personal renewal, growth, appreciation of nature, and responsible environmental stewardship. If you like the outdoors and living in a natural setting, Pine Lake is for you!.
    • P.R.I.D.E (People Respecting Identity, Diversity and Equality): Hartwick is supportive of LGBTQ & Ally students. This Theme Community intentionally allows for students who are LGBTQ-friendly to live together in a positive, supportive community. In addition to creating a safe space for students of all identities, this theme community embraces honest dialogue about gender, gender expression, sexuality, and interpersonal relationships as a means toward self-awareness. This community will offer gender-inclusive housing. The goal of this community is for all members to undertake Safe Space training.
    • Physical and Life Sciences: Are you a nursing major or a science major? Will you be spending a lot of time in Johnstone Science Center in classes and labs? Want to live with like-minded, academic-focused students? Are you a student who has an interest in science, technology, engineering, math, and physical and health sciences? If you answered yes, then this Theme Community is for you. Be around students who value the sciences, just like you.

Meal Plans

All on-campus students are required to have a meal plan. First-year students are assigned the Carte Blanche meal plan, which allows you to take full advantage of the continuous service available in The Commons, as well as $50 to be used at Table Rock Café. To learn more about meal plans, visit www.hartwick.edu/mealplans or see the Billing & Fees section.

Commuter Students

Students who commute to campus are encouraged to take part in co-curricular life on campus, because Hartwick believes this complements the educational experience. Commuter students are issued a campus mailbox so they can receive internal communications. Theyare also provided with a locker, lounge space in Dewar Union, and specially designated commuter-student parking areas. Further, a microwave is located in Table Rock Café for your convenience. A meal plan is optional for commuter students. To apply for commuter student status, you must complete the Commuter Student Form at www.hartwick.edu/fyrequiredforms.

Campus Mail

Your campus mailbox is located in Dewar Union. Your mailbox number will be issued to you over the summer and your mailbox combination will be available at the switchboard when you arrive on campus.