Key Procedures and Card Access


At check-in, you will receive and sign for your room key.  It is your responsibility to always lock your room, suite, and townhouse doors when you are not there even for a short period of time. This helps insure the safety of our residents and their personal property.

According to Hartwick College policy, you should carry your Hartwick College Wickit ID Card at all times. You should also keep your room key with you to prevent being locked out.

Students who prop open entrance doors, disable locking mechanisms, or by any means allow non-residents access to a residence hall other than as his or her guest compromise the effectiveness of the security system. Any of these acts will result in judicial action.

Lost Keys

If a student loses a key or it has been stolen, they should inform their Resident Advisor (RA) or the Residential Life professional staff member immediately for replacement or, if requested, to have the door core changed.  Students will be billed $50 for a replacement key and $25 for a core change.

Card Access

The Card Access System controls entry to our Residence Halls 24 hours a day. Exit doors are locked at all times to prevent non-residents from entering, but are never locked from the inside.

To enter your Residence Hall, you simply need to swipe your Hartwick College Wickit ID card through the card reader mounted by the door. If you have access privileges for that building, you will gain immediate entry. If your ID Card doesn't grant you access, contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing.

The Hartwick College Residence Halls are open to all currently registered students from 8:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.  From 7:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. only students who reside in the residence hall will have access to that residence hall through the main entrance.  All other card swipe entry points are locked from use from 7:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m.

An alarm will activate if you attempt to gain entry with an invalid card, force or prop a door open, or tamper with components of the system. A "horn" will also sound if an exit door is propped or forced.

Tampering with or vandalizing Card Access equipment is a very serious offense. If you notice damage, or see someone vandalizing the equipment, immediately contact the Office of Public Safety or a Residential Life Staff member.

Lockout Procedures

A student locked out of his/her room should:

  • If it is between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and Midnight, students should first try to contact the residential life staff to request entry into their room.
  • If it is between the hours of Midnight and 8:00 a.m. students must contact the switchboard to request assistance from Campus Safety.
  • If the student is unable to contact a residential life staff member, then the switchboard should be contacted to request assistance from Campus Safety.
  • The response by Campus Safety will be subject to other responsibilities that campus safety staff may have at that time. Students must give their name and show their College ID to the campus safety officer when their rooms are being unlocked.