• Orchesis Dance Club Dancer
  • Wick Wars on Frisbee Field
  • Awakening 2011 Leaders
  • Slopes, SKi Club, members

Residency Requirements

Residency Requirements

Hartwick is a residential liberal arts and sciences college and believes that a Hartwick education is the result of curricular and co-curricular experiences in class, on campus, and in the residence halls. As accommodations will permit, students entering Hartwick will room in College-owned housing for their first three (3) academic years. Three Year Students are required to live in College-owned housing for their first two (2) academic years.  Seniors may move out of a residence hall at the beginning of the Fall, January, or Spring terms.  Refund of room and board charges for those electing to move off campus will be granted only for Fall and Spring terms, provided that application deadlines are met.  

Exemptions to the Residency Requirements You are exempt from the college's Residency Policy if you can show that you are:

  • 23 years of age or older (requires birth certificate).
  • an approved commuter, who lives in their parents/guardians home, which is located within 60 miles of Hartwick College.
  • married (requires marriage certificate).  Hartwick College does not offer married/family housing.
  • in a domestic partnership or civil union (requires document recognized by state where partnership/union is established).  Hartwick College does not offer married/family housing.
  • supporting dependent children (requires dependent birth certificates).  Hartwick College does not offer married/family housing.
  • a recognized fraternity/sorority member living at the recognized fraternity/sorority house (requires fraternity/sorority housing form signed by fraternity/sorority President)
  • an approved Junior Lottery participant (must have written approval from the Office of Residential Life and Housing)

The Office of Residential Life and Housing reserves the right to reassign to other campus housing or to deny on-campus housing to any student whose action is detrimental to the welfare of the residence hall or the campus community. Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Office of Residential Life and Housing.

Special Accommodations Living

The medical/financial pre-assign process is designed to meet housing needs of students who have a documented medical/financial need that requires specific housing accommodations. If a student's application is verified and accepted the student will be offered appropriate housing based on medical/financial need. The process to apply follows:

  • Make an appointment at the appropriate office (Perrella Wellness Center for medical needs, Financial Aid and Affordability Office for financial issues, or Office of Disability Services for documented disabilities)
  • Your request will be presented to the Committee for Special Accommodations Living and approved or denied


We make available waitlists for students who for one reason or another can not obtain the type or location of room that they desire. Fill out the Waitlist Form and return to the Office of Residential Life and Housing. As spaces open over the summer, we will move students into more appropriate housing.