• Hartwick students having fun outdoors
  • Hartwick students hanging out in between classes
  • Hartwick students at gallery show opening
  • Hartwick students laughing and having fun

Residential Life FAQs

Who must live on campus?
How is the residence hall staffed?
How are roommates assigned?
How do I go about changing my room?
Are there any rules about off-campus housing?
What is your policy on alcohol?
How to protect your personal property?
What if I lose my room key?
How do I get in my building?
How do I request a repair in the Residence Hall?
What is provided for me in my Residence Room?
Who picks my roommate?
Do I have a roommate? Are singles available?
What if my roommate and I don't see eye-to-eye?
Will I live with people of the opposite sex?
Who cleans my room?
Where can I do my laundry?
What happens if I get in trouble? Will you tell my parents?

Q: Who must live on campus?

A: Hartwick College is a residential college campus. All Hartwick first year students, sophomores, and juniors must live in College residence facilities unless they have written approval to live off campus from the Office of Residential Life and Housing. Only seniors, commuter students, recognized fraternity/sorority members living in a recognized fraternity/sorority house, students who have been approved through the Special Housing Accommodations and students who have been approved through the Junior Lottery are allowed to live off campus.

Q: How is the residence hall staffed?

A: Each floor of our traditional halls is staffed with at least one resident advisor or community development advisor, who is responsible for individual floors. Assistant Residence Directors, Residence Directors and Area Coordinators are responsible for the overall administration of these halls. Resident Advisor and Community Development Advisor positions are filled by upper class students who have been chosen because of their leadership ability. They receive special training in areas such as community building, conflict resolution, and crisis intervention.

Q: How are roommates assigned?

A: First year students are housed in seven of our traditional halls. Students fill out a roommate and housing preference form to help match students with similar habits and tastes.

Q: How do I go about changing my room?

A: Students are able to change rooms as space allows. If, students are experiencing difficulty in establishing their roommate relationship, Resident Advisors and/or professional staff will mediate a discussion about the problems and possible solutions. We believe that a large part of our responsibility as educators is to help students learn to communicate effectively and to learn to appreciate people different from themselves. If this mediation does not work we can then look at the availability of space and a room change could be an option. All room changes must be approved by the Director of Residential Life and Housing or their designee.

Q: Are there any rules about off-campus housing?

A: Hartwick College is a residential campus, and as such, all students are required to live on campus through their junior year. Seniors may request off-campus housing, but must meet advertised deadlines. Late applications are not accepted. In special circumstances underclass students may receive permission to move off campus. These include Jr. Lottery, Special Accommodation housing, and Greek housing.

Q: What is your policy on alcohol?

A: It is illegal in the state of New York for anyone under the age of 21 to possess, consume or be under the influence of alcohol. It is illegal for students who are of age to sell or serve alcohol to minors. Our policy supports this law, but does allow students 21 and over to consume alcohol in on-campus houses, Townhouses, and Leitzell suites. All other residence halls are dry, regardless of the student's age. In addition, Hartwick upholds a city ordinance that prohibits drinking alcohol in public places.

Q. What if I lose my room key?

A. At check-in, each student is issued a key to his or her room which they are responsible for keeping as long as they are assigned to that room. In the event a student moves out of that room, the key is to be returned to the Resident Advisor on his/her floor. The cost of a new key in the event it is lost is $50. If there is a problem after hours please contact Campus Safety at 607-431-4000.

Q. How do I get in my building?

A. When Hartwick is in session and residence halls are occupied the halls are on 24-hour key card, only your Hartwick College ID can let you in. All exterior door locks are secured during breaks and students are not allowed access to the buildings. If you lose your Hartwick ID a replacement one can be made for you at the Commons and they would make you another Hartwick ID card for a charge.

Q. How do I request a repair in the Residence Hall?

A. If a student needs to report a routine (non-emergency) repair click on the "Work Order" link and enter the appropriate information. For emergency repairs contact your Resident Advisor/Residence Director.

Q. What is provided for me in my Residence Hall Room?

A. Students are provided with standard furnishings, a dresser, a desk and chair, a bed frame, a mattress, a wardrobe/closet. Each student in a room also has their own computer jack, phone jack and cable connection for a television. Each room also comes with overhead lighting and at least one window with window blinds.

Q. Who picks my roommate?

A. If you are a first year student and don't have someone specific in mind you will be housed by a professional staff member. Your Roommate and Housing Preference form will be used to match you with another person based on preferences. If you are a returning student you will pick your roommate during open room selection in the spring.

Q. Do I have a roommate? Are singles available?

A. We believe that the College experience is richer and more valuable if students share a room with one or more students. There will be single room housing available and students will select these during our annual room selection. There also is a singles waitlist, just complete the Waitlist Request Form for students who would rather live alone. A Special Housing Accommodations Form can be filled out if housing is available for those with need.

Q. What if my roommate and I don't see eye-to-eye?

A. Successfully sharing a room with another person requires communication and compromise. While most students live well together, there are times when changes need to occur. We encourage you turn to your R.A. for assistance. They can serve as a neutral third party and may be able to suggest different forms of communication. If this is not successful, we frequently negotiate a roommate contract, remember that resolution of tension and disagreements between people require cooperation from each of the involved individuals. A room change is usually only taken when it is clear that the roommates are unable to live together. If there are no vacancies available, it is possible to make a roommate swap, talking to friends and members of the floor community to determine if anyone is interested in changing rooms. It should be noted that the person requesting the change will in most cases be required to change rooms.

Q. Will I live with people of the opposite gender?

A. Only one gender is assigned to an individual residence hall room with the exception of townhouse apartments and on-campus houses. You may have students of the opposite gender living down the hall. We also offer co-ed buildings by floor.

Q. Who cleans my room?

A. Students are expected to clean their rooms. Housekeeping staff will clean the public areas (bathrooms, stairwells, hallway, and lounges).

Q. Where can I do my laundry?

A. Each residence hall is equipped with washers and dryers located in the laundry rooms.

Q. What happens if I get in trouble? Will you tell my parents?

A. If you are involved in a situation where policies may have been violated you will have the opportunity to meet with a College staff member who is investigating the incident. Most cases are resolved at this level. If you don't accept responsibility the staff member will refer you for a disciplinary hearing. Hartwick College believes it is good practice for students to have open communication with parents about their experience and we always recommend that students talk to their parents about the disciplinary process. Parents are routinely notified of student involvement.

Q. Do I need to have a meal plan?

A. Hartwick College believes that a residential college atmosphere offers unique opportunities for students. One of these is the sociability of coming together for meals. The College views meals as an important part of each student's day, not only for nutrition, but also for personal growth through interaction with others. All students living in residence halls must participate in a board plan. Students living in Townhouses, on-campus houses, Greek houses, Pine Lake housing or off campus may take the option of no meal plan.

Q. If a current sophomore and a current freshman choose to live together, who's points are used?

A. The person with the earlier selection date and time is used when selecting rooms.

Q. Will super-singles be offered during the housing selection process?

A. We will offer a limited number of super singles through the housing selection process. Once all super singles are taken, students are advised to fill out a waitlist form, then all requests granted as space allows.

Q. If I will be 21 during the next year, can I live off campus?

A. Rising seniors are eligible to apply for off-campus approval (early May). All other students are required to live on campus through their junior year, with the exception of Jr. Lottery students, Greek housing students and Special Accommodation students.

Q. Which building prohibits alcohol regardless of age?

A. Wilder, Saxton, Holmes, Van Ess, Smith, Oyaron House, and Hilltop House all prohibit alcohol.

Q. What if I am planning on being away for the fall semester?

A. If you are planning on being away for the fall semester due to an off-campus internship or a study abroad program you should contact the Office of Residential Life at ext. 4501. The Office of Residential Life cannot reserve space for you. If you go through the housing selection process and find out later you will be away for the fall semester, the Office of Residential Life reserves the right to fill the space.

Q. What if my potential roommate is away for the spring semester?

A. You should contact the Office of Residential Life at ext. 4501.