• Hartwick student studying on her computer
  • Hartwick student sledding on campus
  • Hartwick students at gallery show opening
  • Hartwick students hanging out in between classes

Residential Life Policies

Residency Requirements
Pine Lake Housing
Closings, Vacating Rooms
Decorations and Fixtures
Early Arrival
Damage Policies
Fire Safety
Keys and Room Access
Noxious Odors
Recycling and Refuse
Sports Inside the Residence Halls
Room Requests
Substance-Free Living Area (pre-designated)
Visitation Policies
Board / Dining Policies

All students residing in a College residence must sign a Residence Agreement before occupancy. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of a student's registration at Hartwick.

Only currently enrolled and registered students are permitted to occupy College residences. Under no circumstances may a student on leave or dismissed from the College reside in on-campus facilities. Should a dismissed student or student on leave need to conduct official College business, they must contact the Office of Student Affairs to make arrangements for an on-campus visit during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

Each student occupying a room in a residence hall must sign a Room Inventory Form at the beginning of occupancy. This form, provided by the RA or professional residential life staff, lists furniture in the room, and describes the condition of both the furniture and room (ceiling, walls, floor, windows, etc.).

Students should fill out this form carefully. They will be billed for damage beyond normal wear and tear that is not noted on the form at check-in, and they will be billed for missing furniture that is not recorded as missing at check-in.

When a student ends occupancy of the room, the resident advisor will inspect the room with the resident, note damages, and ask the student to sign the form as part of the checkout process. This form is not the final billing statement. Any student failing to check out of their room properly will be billed $50 for failure to check out, in addition to any charges for damages.

A student has the right to use his/her assigned room for sleep, study, and recreation; the right to sleep and study takes precedence. Roommates and hall residents are expected to cooperate in the use of their room, corridor, and public areas such as lounges.

A student has the right not to be affronted in his/her room and corridor by noise or odors originating there or elsewhere or by behavior that impedes his/her pursuit of education. No student shall be subjected to conditions that might involve a violation of the law in his/her room or common areas. Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, water fights, hall sports and riding bicycles/motorcycles, etc. down hallways or stairways.

Students who feel that their rights are being infringed upon are urged to discuss the matter with the student(s) involved and to consult with their resident advisor or professional residential life staff in an effort to resolve the situation.

Residency Requirements
On-Campus Housing
Hartwick is a residential liberal arts and sciences college. As such, all first-year, second-year and third-year students are required to live in Hartwick residence halls. Hartwick College does not provide family housing.

Specific details regarding housing are available in the Office of Residential Life and Housing.

Off-Campus Housing
Hartwick is a residential liberal arts college and believes that a Hartwick education is the result of curricular and co-curricular experiences in class, on campus, and in the residences. As such, all students with the exception of those specified in the next section, are required to live on campus.

Seniors may move out of a residence hall at the beginning of the Fall, January, or Spring Terms. Refund of room and board charges for those electing to move off campus will be granted only for Fall and Spring Terms.

Written application to move out of a residence hall must be made to the director of residential life and housing or his/her designee on forms available in the Office of Residential Life and Housing. May 1 is the deadline for applications to move off campus the succeeding Fall Term, and December 1 is the deadline for applications to move off campus the succeeding January or Spring Term. A Certificate of Compliance for the rental unit must be submitted with the application. No exceptions to these deadlines will be made! Failure to submit a Certificate of Compliance is considered a violation of the student's housing contract with the College, and will result in a requirement to pay for on-campus housing. Once off-campus housing permission has been granted, a student desiring to move back into College housing during the academic year must notify the director of residential life and housing of his/her desire to live in College housing. College housing will be provided in such cases as space becomes available after students required to live on campus have been housed.

Students should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the impact of their decision to live off campus on their financial aid awards. Students receiving financial aid will have their awards reduced once permission is granted for them to live off campus.

Commuter Status
In order to be considered a commuter, a student must live within a 60-mile radius of the campus. Written permission from a legal parent or guardian must be received in the Office of Residential Life and Housing by July 1 for the following academic year. Students listed as a commuter and later found living in off-campus quarters will be assigned a room and meal plan on campus and charged accordingly.

Part-Time Students
Part-time students must have the express written permission of the director of residential life and housing to live in on-campus College housing. For this purpose, a part-time student is considered to be a student enrolled for seven credits or fewer during the Spring and Fall terms or less than three credits during the January Term.

Special Housing Accommodations
Hartwick is a residential liberal arts college and believes that a Hartwick education is the result of distinctively curricular and co-curricular experiences in class, on campus, and in the residences. As such, all first-year students, sophomores and juniors are required to live on campus or in campus-approved housing.

As a college we understand that situations may develop that may require the College to take steps to alter or relax this policy in special or unique circumstances. In order to best meet the needs of students, protocols have been established to review individual requests for either special on-campus accommodations, e.g. single rooms, or exemption to the on-campus requirement for otherwise ineligible students. The following is an outline of potential reasons for review, resources available and steps necessary to have a situation reviewed. It should be noted that all reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate requests so that students will remain in on-campus accommodations.

The following are possible reasons for requesting special accommodations:

Financial: In extreme circumstances a student’s financial status may necessitate an approval for special consideration. Any request of this nature must have documented support by the director of financial aid.

Physical/Learning Disabilities: On occasion it may be determined that a student’s academic success will be best served by approving a special request. The student must provide up-to-date supporting documentation, have regularly used existing institutional supports and compiled their recommendation and have exhausted all other avenues of support. Requests of this nature should be submitted to the director of academic support.

Medical: Student health issues can exist that may warrant review related to this policy. In order to warrant action the College wellness center must have notice of the relevant conditions and receive comprehensive physicians’ reports documenting those conditions. Further, the student must have an ongoing relationship with the wellness center and have exhausted other relevant avenues. Requests of this nature should be submitted to the director of the wellness center.

Personal: A student’s mental health and overall success may be supported by a special accommodation related to housing. In this case the student must submit a request to the director of counseling and must have maintained an ongoing relationship with the staff of the counseling office. Additionally, the counseling department must have up-to-date information and correspondence with any off-campus treatment providers, and all other alternatives should have been exhausted.

Procedure for submitting a special accommodations request: 

  • Meet with the appropriate staff, and obtain request form. 
  • Complete and return request form. 
  • Provide all pertinent documentation. 
  • Receive initial recommendation or denial from appropriate area. 
  • The request is reviewed by a committee comprised of the directors of residential life, financial aid, counseling, campus safety, wellness center and academic support. The committee's decision is then shared with the student. The student may appeal the committee's decision within five class days. A student who does not request an appeal within this period will be deemed to have waived his/her right to appeal. 
  • Student appeals are reviewed by the vice president for student affairs in conjunction with the review committee. 
  • Final determination is shared with student.

Pine Lake Housing
All College housing regulations are in effect in Pine Lake housing. Additional regulations and information, specific to Pine Lake, are published in the Pine Lake Handbook.

Electrical Appliances
Cooking in student rooms or hallways is prohibited.  The use of electrical appliances is restricted to those with self-contained, thermostatically controlled heating elements (such as certain types of hot pots and coffee makers).  Such appliances must be used with extreme care.  Appliances with open coils or burners (such as toaster ovens, hot plates, grills, and immersion coils) as well as non-thermostatically controlled devices are not permitted and are subject to confiscation.  Microwaves are not permitted unless from a College-approved MicroFridge company.

Other appliances not permitted include halogen lamps and air conditioners.

Students may purchase or rent refrigerators for their rooms, but they must draw no more than 1.5 amps, conform to fire and health regulations by having at least 24 inches clearance on all sides, and be defrosted before College recess.  All food and beverages must be removed prior to any College recess.

Closings, Vacating Rooms
All residence halls will remain open during scheduled breaks, with the exception of the end of Fall Semester.  At this time all residence halls will close for the period between the end of Fall Semester and the start of January Term.  Students are expected to depart within 24 hours of their last final examination at the end of each semester.

Students must notify and obtain approval from the Office of Residential Life and Housing, at least one week in advance of the scheduled break, of their intent to remain in any College-approved housing during a College recess (other than between Fall Term and January Term). Failure to do so may result in loss of privilege to reside in residence halls, special interest housing or other College-approved housing during breaks.

End of Academic Year
All students must vacate residence halls, townhouses, suites, special interest houses, Greek houses and other approved College housing within 24 hours of their last final examination, with the following exceptions:

  • Graduating seniors
  • Invited guests of graduating seniors: Must show invitation to professional residential life staff by publicized date
  • Students working during Commencement: Name must appear on roster provided by work supervisor to the Office of Residential Life and Housing at least one week prior to Commencement

The above exceptions must vacate on-campus housing as directed by the Office of Residential Life and Housing.  Failure to leave will result in a housing charge of $100 per day and may result in charges of trespass being filed.

Vacating Rooms
The following vacating schedule must be followed to allow proper cleaning and maintenance of rooms between residents:

  • Any residents terminating occupancy at the end of any term must vacate their room within 24 hours after their last exam and no later than noon of the day following the end of the term.
  • All summer residents must vacate their rooms by the last day of the program.
  • Any student leaving on leave of absence, extended medical leave, or withdrawal must vacate his/her room within 24 hours of the effective date of leave (or withdrawal).
  • Students may be required to leave their College residence immediately if found to be in violation of the College's General Rules of Conduct and/or considered a threat to themselves or others.

Students will incur a cleaning charge for any room left in unacceptable condition.  Personal belongings remaining in a room will be removed by the College and may be discarded; students will be billed for their removal.

Summer storage areas are not available.  All personal items left in residence hall rooms, storage rooms or public areas after the end of Spring Term will be disposed of.  Students will be billed for this.

Decorations and Fixtures
Offensive material on doors, windows or otherwise displayed publicly is not permitted.

Door surfaces cannot be covered with contact, construction or tissue papers or any flammable materials. Door painting is not permitted.

Students may decorate their rooms.  They are requested to consult with the residential life staff before proceeding. Prior to vacating rooms, students must return the room to its original condition.

Students are not permitted to panel, barn-side, paint, wallpaper or otherwise place material on their room walls. No shelving or other construction is permitted unless it is freestanding.  No holes may be made in the wall or ceiling.  No bars are permitted to be installed in any on-campus housing unit.

State fire codes require that only 20% of the wall space can be covered with posters or pictures, for fire safety. Students with excessive wall coverings will be asked to remove them. Only paper made posters, pictures or decorations may be placed on the walls of the residence hall rooms. Any fabric decorations (flags, jerseys, tapestries, etc.) must be sealed inside of a frame. Please consult with your residential life staff member for any questions regarding what is acceptable.

Rooms and Halls with Block Walls
Students wishing to decorate walls may use regular scotch tape only.  Double stick tape, duct tape, electricians' tape, masking tape and other brands of tape are extremely difficult to remove and may cause peeling and cracking. Students will be billed for this type of adhesive removal and wall/ceiling repair.

Rooms and Halls with Plaster/Sheet Rock Walls
Students wishing to decorate walls may use thumbtacks only.  Nails or tape of any kind should not be used.  When removing tacks they should be twisted to minimize damage to the walls.  Students using nails or tape on sheet rock walls will be billed for plastering and painting.

Early Arrival
The only students permitted to arrive prior to the check-in date at the beginning of each semester are those students whom college departments have requested to be on campus. These may include student athletes for practice, students working on campus, or students on campus for training purposes.  

Any violation of institutional policy during the early arrival period will subject the student to immediate removal from College housing until the start of the semester.

Damage Policies
Each student will be held responsible for any damage he/she causes. An occupant of a residence hall is responsible for all damage to his/her room. "Room" refers to the interior (walls, ceiling, floor), all furnishings (including built-in dressers and closets), door locks, and windows and doors (if the damage to windows/doors is done from inside the room). Damage to property during the year can result in charges for damage and/or disciplinary action.

In the event of breakage or damage in a student room or public area in a residence hall, the supervisor of custodial services will make arrangements for the necessary repairs and report the cost to the director of residential life and housing for billing.

In public areas, when individual responsibility can be determined, the charges will be made to the responsible individual(s). Students are not billed for items that have been affected by normal wear and tear. Students may not repair damages due to provisions in the College's collective bargaining agreement and College safety/liability rules. Incidents involving deliberate damage may also be subject to disciplinary action.

In public areas, when individual responsibility for damage cannot be determined, staff will investigate and attempt to identify person(s) responsible. Students, as members of their residence hall community, are encouraged to report damage and provide information to aid in appropriate identification of person(s) responsible. After thorough investigation, if individual responsibility cannot be determined, the charges will be assessed to hall residents on a pro-rated basis. Repeated acts of unidentifiable vandalism may result in fines in addition to the cost of labor and repair.

During Spring Term, students will receive information regarding checkout procedures (including how to avoid end-of-year cleanup charges). The College will bill students for personal furniture removal and excessive cleanup. These charges will be applied to the end of year bill. Appeals of end of year damage assessments may be made, in writing, to the director of residential life and housing by June 30. Failure to appeal within this period forfeits all rights for future appeal.

Resident advisors and professional residential life staff will be provided a cost list for common area damages which will be posted approximately once per semester on every floor so that students are kept apprised of damages. This information will be provided by the departments of facilities services and housing.

Fire Safety
Fire Drills
Fire drills are held periodically, as prescribed by New York State law, under the supervision of the director of campus safety. All residents must comply with these drills by vacating the premises and reporting to designated areas. Some drills may involve room checks to ensure that the building has been properly vacated. Students failing to vacate a building during a drill will be subject to disciplinary action.

It is crucial that all members of the Hartwick College community take fire drills seriously; participate when they are conducted and follow the instructions and directions of the person in charge.

All members of the college community must become familiar with the emergency exit routes from residence halls and buildings.

Fire Safety Tips
If you detect a fire in a campus building or residence hall, the best advise is to STAY CALM, and... 

  • Exit the building, and on the way out, and if you are able without putting yourself in danger... 
  • Alert occupants 
  • Pull the fire alarm 
  • Call Switchboard (ext. 4111)

If you are caught in a fire... 

  • If door is hot, do not open it. 
  • Close doors behind you as you exit. 
  • Crawl if you are caught in a smoke-filled hallway. (Stay Low and Go) 
  • If confined to a room, hang a towel or sheet out the window. 
  • If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL.

Additional fire safety tips... 

  • Never tamper with or obstruct a smoke detector or other fire safety equipment. 
  • Know your fire exits. 
  • Do not smoke in buildings. 
  • Do not use candles, incense or other sources of open flames; they are prohibited. 
  • Do not use halogen lights. 
  • No curtains are allowed.  
  • Report those responsible for activating false alarms or tampering with fire safety equipment. 
  • Report missing or discharged fire extinguishers. 
  • Evacuate building for all fire alarms and do not re-enter until notified by Campus Safety or Residence Life staff.

No open fires are permitted on campus at any time. Any type of open flame in any College building is dangerous. Intentional or negligent acts, resulting in a fire anywhere on College property will be cause for a student being placed on disciplinary probation, removal from College housing, or suspension, and/or referral to appropriate law enforcement authorities for prosecution. Persons deemed responsible for fires that result in damages to College or personal property will be liable for the cost of the repairs and the loss of property.

The College has provided barbecue pits near each of the residence halls for student use. Requests to use the pits are handled through the professional staff in your residence hall. The professional staff member in your hall will work with you to arrange necessary approvals from food services and campus safety and to help ensure that your program will be successful. Hibachis, other open fire grills, and gas/propane grills are not permitted on campus, including in or around residence halls and townhouses.

Candles and Incense
Candles and incense pose an extreme safety hazard. The burning of candles and incense is not permitted. The possession of partially or previously burned incense or candles is also a violation of College policy because such possession implies use.

Open Flame Appliances
Oil lamps, lanterns, and other devices and appliances with an open flame create a safety hazard and are not permitted in residence halls.

Fire Equipment
Fire alarms, fire detectors and emergency equipment systems are located in all residence halls. Fire extinguishers are strategically placed throughout all residence halls. Tampering with fire alarms and detection systems (including false alarms) is a violation of New York State law and local ordinances. The casual emptying of fire extinguishers, which hinder their use in an emergency, will be referred to the director of residential life for investigation. The cost of replacing the extinguisher, when so emptied, will be charged to the individual(s) responsible or to the residents of the hall. When individual responsibility is determined, the individual will be subject to disciplinary action that could result in residence hall probation or removal from College housing.

Room Furniture

The College will supply each room with a desk, desk chair, bed frame, and mattress for each student assigned to a room.  NO FURNITURE MAY BE REMOVED FROM THE ROOM.  Furniture found in the hallways will be considered abandoned and will be picked up by maintenance staff to be stored in the pole barn; the student will be billed to replace the furniture at the end of the year.  An inventory control check is conducted at the completion of each term, and missing items will be billed to the occupants of the room.  Billing is done on the basis of the rate schedule listed on the inventory form.

Bunk Beds
Individuals who wish to bunk their beds may obtain the necessary brackets from the Office of Facilities Services.


Students are not permitted to loft beds. A few rooms have lofts set up by professional staff at the start of the academic year, those are the only rooms permitted to have lofts.

Lounge Furniture
Furniture and equipment from lounges and other public areas in any College building may not be removed.  Such inventory found in student rooms or apartments (on or off campus) will be confiscated. Individuals responsible may be fined, charged restitution for damage and wear, and/or face College disciplinary action.

College mattresses are to remain on bed frames and may not be placed on the floor.  This prevents unnecessary wear.  Students wishing to sleep on the floor should provide their own mattresses. Failure to comply with this policy will result in the student being billed the cost of mattress replacement.

Waterbeds are not allowed in any campus residence.

Keys and Room Access

Each resident will be issued a key to their residence room during the period of their occupancy. Lost keys will be replaced at a cost of $50. A Key Request Form must be completed by your R.A. or R.D. for key replacement. Requests are submitted to the Office of Residential Life and Housing for processing. Replacement keys will be available within 24 hours, unless new keys must be made. In this case, 48 hours are required. Should a resident request the changing of a lock core on their door for a reason other than the loss of key, the College will change the core and replace the key at a cost of $75.

Most thefts in college residence halls occur when a room door is left unlocked. For your protection, your room should be locked at all times, even if you are just across the hall, or if you are sleeping. Duplication of room keys or other College keys by students is not permitted.

Lockout Procedures
A student locked out of his/her room should first try to contact the residential life staff to request entry into their room. If the student is unable to contact a residential life staff member, then the switchboard should be contacted to request assistance from campus safety. The response by campus safety will be subject to other responsibilities that campus safety staff may have at that time. Students must give their name and show their College ID to the campus safety officer when their rooms are being unlocked. A student is entitled to a maximum of five lockout calls during the academic year without penalty. Any lockouts beyond that are considered to be excessive, and a student will be fined $5 for the sixth and an additional charge for each subsequent request for lockout service.

Propped Doors
Students may not prop open doors to residence hall buildings. This represents a serious risk to the health and safety of all residents of the building. Individuals found responsible for propping doors will face disciplinary action.

Roofs and Windows
No one is permitted on the roof of any building on campus at any time. For safety reasons, sitting in or hanging out of open residence hall windows is not permitted. Students in violation of this policy may face disciplinary charges.

Night Security
All exterior doors to the halls are locked 24 hours a day. Roving campus safety officers will be on duty to provide security for both the interior and exterior of the residence halls as well as to provide student entrance to residence halls as notified. Exterior telephones are placed at specific locations on the exterior of each residence hall, and the patrolling campus safety officers may be summoned by dialing "0."

Theft and Damage
The College is not responsible for personal property lost, stolen, or damaged. It is advisable to protect your belongings with insurance through your family homeowner's policy. Students should note that most burglary insurance is collectible only when access to a room is by forcible entry, but most thefts occur from rooms that are left unlocked by residents.

If a theft, or suspicion of one, should occur, it is important to report it immediately to the professional residential life staff of your hall and to campus safety. Reporting the loss to campus safety may be necessary if you will be making a claim for the article with your insurance company.

An engraving tool is available at the Office of Campus Safety so that items may be marked, as a deterrent to theft, and so that they may be identified if recovered after a theft.

If an item is reported stolen and is later recovered, campus security should be notified of its recovery.

Quiet Hours
Quiet hours for all residence halls are Sunday-Thursday, 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., and Friday-Saturday, 12 a.m. to 9 a.m.  During quiet hours no sound should be audible outside residence rooms.

Sound levels, at all times, are to be kept at a minimum.  At no time should sounds reach an unreasonable level that will disturb roommates, other residents or members of the community.  In the residential setting, each student's right to quiet study, sleep and privacy at all hours is regarded by the College to be of paramount importance and, as such, persistent violators will be subject to disciplinary action.

Stereos, Radios, Televisions
Stereos, radios, and televisions are permitted but may not be used in a manner that is annoying to others.  Residents may be ordered to remove such equipment if, after complaint(s) by residents or hall staff, its use continues to disturb study and/or living conditions or is judged to be hazardous.

Antennas and other articles are not permitted on the exterior of any residence hall.  Splicing into existing television cables is prohibited and constitutes a violation of the College's General Rules of Conduct.

Noxious Odors
Activities producing odors considered offensive to members of the residence hall community must be curtailed upon request. In the event that such odors are present, the residence hall staff may check common areas and residence hall rooms for the source.

Recycling and Refuse
Hartwick College complies with county recycling laws and makes provision for easy compliance by students living in College residence halls.  Each hall has a designated place for garbage collection (a lounge or laundry room), and collection times are prominently posted throughout the hall.  At the designated times, students should bring all recyclables to the proper collection location. 

Hartwick College has adopted the new recycling program, Zero Sort Recycling.  All manner of recyclable material may now be placed, without sorting, on the recycling side of the dumpster, located at each residence hall. Items to recycle include: Cardboard, cereal boxes, juice boxes, shoe boxes, tissue boxes, paper egg cartons and dry food cartons. Paper, newspapers, junk mail, envelopes, magazines and inserts. Plastic containers, numbers 1-7. Glass, bottles and containers (any color). Metal, aluminum cans, foil, food and beverage cans, lables are ok.

Under no circumstances should any garbage be left at the recycling collection place.  Failure to comply with the recycling policy will result in College disciplinary action and/or county fines.

The discarding of any objects from campus windows or throwing mail from Dewar Union mailboxes on the floor is inappropriate.  Not only does it detract from the appearance of our campus environment, it is a safety hazard and creates additional work for the maintenance staff.  Students observed or known to have discarded objects or mail in such a manner will be referred to the campus judicial system for disciplinary action.  Sanctions could include, but are not limited to, a fine, censure, probation and/or an assigned service in the form of picking up trash around campus residence halls.

Sports Inside the Residence Halls
Due to consideration for the health and safety of residents, sport activities are not permitted in common areas of the residence halls.

Room Requests
Room Changes
Students wishing to change rooms within residence halls should speak with their resident advisor.  In all cases, when a student expresses the desire to change his/her living environment, residential life staff will assist the student in exploring the reasons for the request.  Consideration will be given to the student's overall development.  If a change is recommended by the Office of Residential Life and Housing, a room change form must be filled out, and an inventory form must be completed for both the old and new room.

The Office of Residential Life and Housing will not approve room changes solely on the basis of differences in race, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, national origin, or age.

No room changes will be granted during the first two or last two weeks of any term.  Students changing rooms without approval will be required to move back to their original room and may be subject to additional College disciplinary action.

Room Consolidation
In the event that a vacancy in a double or triple room cannot be filled, students in doubles or triples without roommates may be consolidated.

Single Rooms
Students with special housing needs should contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing to discuss options.

A limited number of single rooms are available to students. Students may elect to reside in one of two styles: 1) Standard single, approximately 9x15' at the single rate, or 2) Super single, approximately 13x15' at a higher rate.  Some students will be able to draw for a single room during spring housing selection process.  For others, their names will be added to the single waiting list upon request. As single rooms become available, they will be allocated to the students on the list based on date requested.

A student may add his/her name to the list at any time.  By placing one's name on the list, a student is not required to accept a single room if it is offered.  Students should understand that if they assume occupancy in a single room, their contract will be amended and the room rate charges will be adjusted accordingly.

The Office of Residential Life and Housing reserves the right to reassign a student deemed incapable of living with others.  If such reassignment is necessary, room fees will be adjusted accordingly.

Substance-Free Living Area (pre-designated)
Entering a substance-free living area while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs is prohibited. The use of tobacco products is also prohibited within substance-free living areas.

Visitation Policies
Guests of Students
A residence hall guest is any person not assigned to the room in which he/she is staying overnight and/or a person not affiliated with Hartwick College.  A guest must have a host who is a member of the College community.  In order to ensure safety and security, all overnight guests MUST register with the resident advisor on the floor.  The ultimate responsibility for such registration and compliance with all College policies lies with the host.

The College reserves the right to limit the number of guests a student may host per visit; normally no more than two guests are permitted at the same time.

Any guest parking a motor vehicle on the campus overnight must obtain a Temporary Guest Parking Permit from the Office of Campus Safety.

Permission to use any residence hall room and bed must be secured from the resident whose room and bed is being used.

Guests may stay a maximum of three nights in a campus residence room in any given month.  No guests are permitted during exam periods, the week preceding an exam period, or during any College recess.

Sleeping in student lounges and other public spaces is prohibited.

College Recruited Visitors
Offices wishing to have college recruits stay on campus must adhere to the following policies:

  1. The Office of Residential Life and Housing must be notified at minimum 24 hours in advance of any individual visitors (up to four at any one time) planning to stay overnight in the residence halls.  The office coordinating this visit will send the name of the visitor(s), the name of host/hostess, the room number and hall to the Office of Residential Life and Housing and the Office of Campus Safety 24 hours in advance of the visit.
  2. The Office of Residential Life and Housing must be notified one week in advance of any group (a group is defined as five or more visitors at once) planning to stay overnight in the residence halls.
  3. Coordinating offices hosting groups of five or more must provide the Office of Residential Life and Housing, Office of Campus Safety, Perrella Wellness Center, and switchboard with a list of names of all visitors; the names of each host/hostess; and identify the hall and rooms they will be occupying at least 24 hours before their visit to the campus.
  4. Groups of 20 or more guests will not be scheduled for overnight visits on campus in residence facilities.
  5. The Office of Residential Life and Housing will provide the crisis intervention team with rosters of guests and hosts.  The crisis intervention team includes representatives from health services, residential life, campus safety, and switchboard.
  6. Coordinating offices will have minor (under 18) visitors and their parents (when present) sign the Overnight Guest Policy Form that informs them of the College's emergency medical procedures and requests they provide the College with any emergency medical information necessary for treatment.
  7. There will be three groups of hosts on campus; each will be highly selective.  The admission department, athletics department, and student affairs division will each set criteria which guides them in selecting a highly responsible group of students who will act as hosts throughout the year.  Other departments wishing to schedule groups or individual visitors into residence facilities for the purpose of recruitment must use these student hosts.
  8. Hosts will be officially recommended by various constituencies on campus and will be trained, by student affairs staff, as to their responsibilities.  Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) adhering, and ensuring that visitors for whom they are responsible adhere, to all College policies, and local, state and federal laws. Student hosts who violate this policy will be subject to removal from the approved host list and/or disciplinary action.
  9. The Office of Admissions and Athletics Office will notify all the appropriate officials of any last minute changes in host or visitor assignments as they occur.
  10. Organizations having overnight guests with special needs (guide dogs, etc.) must register these special needs with the Office of Residential Life and Housing at least three weeks prior to the visit.
  11. If there is a change in guests, hosts, room assignments, size of group, etc., it is the responsibility of the coordinating office to notify the Office of Residential Life and Housing prior to the arrival of guests.
  12. The Office of Residential Life and Housing reserves the right to deny these visitations on the basis of safety or security or if the organizing group has not followed appropriate procedures.

Visitation Hours
No College restrictions exist, but a residence hall has the right to specify hours and/or conditions for visiting if residents so desire.  Procedures for the determination of limitations and conditions should be decided by the residents of each hall, and residents should be aware of the following  guidelines:

  1. In a community setting, responsible behavior must stem from recognition of and concern for the rights and sensibilities of others.  Visiting hours should be reviewed by hall residents at the beginning of each term in order to establish consensus among residents.
  2. If in the judgement of an elected representative group and/or the professional residential life staff a hall fails to assume responsibility for the conduct of its visitation guidelines, the group and/or professional residential life staff may suspend visiting privileges pending an evaluation of circumstances by the director of residential life.
  3. No visiting policy may be in conflict with existing guest policy or allow for the continued residence in the hall by individuals who are not residents of the hall.

Board / Dining Policies
All students living in College residence halls (except for townhouses and special interest houses) are required to contract for meals at the Commons. Several meal plan options are offered. Meal plan information is available at the Office of Residential Life and Housing, and at the Commons.

Changes to the Fall Meal Plan must be made by Friday of the first week of classes, and changes to the Spring Meal Plan must be made by the last day of finals of the fall term.

Exemptions from the board requirement may be authorized by the vice president for student affairs after consultation with the director of dining services and/or the College physician. Exemptions may require that the student move off campus because of the lack of cooking facilities in the residence halls.

Students must present their College ID card each time they enter the Commons. Admittance to the Commons as a boarding student is restricted to the individual identified on a photo Hartwick College ID card. The use of a College ID card by anyone other than its owner or other unauthorized access to the Commons is considered theft of service and is a violation of Hartwick College regulations. If you lose your Hartwick College ID card, ask the director of dining services to assist you in getting a replacement. There is a $10 replacement charge.

Guests of boarding students are welcome to any regular meals served in the Commons upon payment to the cashier.

Shirts and shoes are required at all times. Inappropriate conduct or behavior deemed offensive should be brought to the attention of the Commons manager and may result in ejection and/or disciplinary action.