Faculty & Staff Commencement Participation Eligibility
Walking with Eligible Student at Commencement
Faculty and staff members are eligible to walk with students in the diploma/hooding portion of the commencement ceremony if they are a parent or guardian of an eligible student. An eligible student is one that has met the criteria to participate in commencement and has been approved to walk in the ceremony.
Eligible faculty/staff members are a parent or legal guardian (traditional grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. do not qualify). Only one parent or guardian may serve in this role during the official ceremony.
Eligible faculty and staff members are those employed on a full time basis as defined by Hartwick College*. This includes full time Aramark employees.
Procedure for Participation
- Eligible faculty/staff member must submit a completed participation form by the stated deadline to the Office of the Registrar, Dewar Union, at least 15 days prior to commencement. Please click on the link for a printable version of the Faculty/Staff Commencement Participation Eligibility form that must be completed.
- Eligible faculty/staff member must be part of processional and must wear appropriate regalia. Eligible faculty and staff must sit within the designated faculty and staff seating area in an area conducive to easy entry/exit to stage (end of rows).
- Eligible faculty/staff member will queue to designated area (stage right) when graduates begin receiving diplomas and 'connect' with their student as they are lined up to walk across the stage. Eligible faculty/staff member will walk behind student across stage and will not hood student or collect diploma.
- Eligible faculty/staff member will return to designated area upon walking across the stage.
- Eligible faculty/staff MUST attend a mandatory rehearsal on the Friday morning prior to Commencement in order to participate in the ceremony. Details related to time of rehearsal will be sent directly to faculty/staff member.
*Full-Time Employees: Those who are regularly scheduled to work 35 hours or more a week on a 10- to 12-month basis and regular and term faculty who teach an average of 20 credit hours per year over a three year period. Upon completion of the various required waiting periods, these employees are eligible for benefits authorized by the College.
Hartwick College Employee Manual, 04/2011.
Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.