Class of 2013 Brings Accomplishments to Hartwick CollegeAugust 27, 2009
Hartwick College will welcome 400 members of the Class of 2013 on Friday, September 4. Among them are students from 25 states and nine countries with backgrounds in athletics, music, print, robotics, and community service.
Before classes begin on Tuesday, September 8, first year students will become acquainted with academic life through their First Year Seminars, sign the historic Hartwick Matriculation Ledger, and attend Opening Convocation—a campus-wide celebration that marks the beginning of the 2009-10 academic year.
Students also will spend four days getting to know the Hartwick community. This year’s Welcome Weekend includes a barbecue dinner at Pine Lake Environmental Campus, a casino night, the famous annual Ooze Fest mud volleyball tournament, residence-hall competitions, a “drive-in” movie on Frisbee Field, mindreader Robert Channing, and the Slice of Oneonta Pizza Fest.
Joining the Class of 2013 on Oyaron Hill are 31 transfer students, who will begin their Hartwick careers with the fall semester.
Class of 2013 by the numbers
- Residents of 25 states and nine countries (Bahamas, Brazil, China, Colombia, Finland, Jamaica, South Africa, Sweden, and United Kingdom)
- 20 percent are in National Honor Society
- 52 percent participated in community service
- 73 percent participated in varsity athletics; 22 percent of them served as team captains
- Many are world travelers, having visited Austria, Bahamas, Bali, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Haiti, Holland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Peru, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Vatican City, Venezuela, and Virgin Islands
- Many have taken part in foreign-exchange experiences, having studied in Costa Rica, Ecuador, Fiji, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Spain, and Uraguay
- 7 percent served as student body or class presidents
- More than a dozen made all-star, all-state, or all-region in musical groups; another dozen performed a lead role or directed a drama production
The Class of 2013 also includes a Broadway singer, a beauty pageant contestant, and a performer with the New York City Opera, as well as others with interests in lyric writing and robotics.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hartwick College is a private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,480 students, located in Oneonta, NY, in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick’s expansive Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum merges traditional liberal arts study, personalized teaching, and experiential learning approaches to emphasize Connecting the Classroom to the World. Add to that a wide range of off-campus internships, collaborative research, study-abroad opportunities, and a unique January Term, and Hartwick prepares students for the world ahead. Strong financial aid and scholarship programs keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Contact: Jennifer Moritz