NEWS & EVENTS
“Day On The Hill” To Welcome Community, Celebrate Citizen of the YearOctober 17, 2012
Hartwick College welcomes the local Oneonta community to spend a day on the Hartwick College campus to enjoy family-friendly events. The festivities taking place throughout the "Day on the Hill" on Saturday, October 27 are free (unless otherwise noted below) and open to the public.
A tentative schedule of events will include:
- 9:30 a.m. - Open Swim, Moyer Pool, Binder Physical Education Center
- 11 a.m. - Bowl-a-Rama, Ceramics Studio, 1st Floor, Anderson Center for the Arts
- 11:30 a.m. - Magic in the Lab, 4th Floor, Johnstone Science Center
- Noon - "Putting the Pieces Together: Puzzles and Games in Our Lives," The Yager Museum of Art & Culture, 1st Floor, Yager Hall
- Noon - Art Faculty Exhibition, Foreman Gallery, Anderson Center for the Arts
- 1 p.m. - Music Madness, 2nd Floor, Anderson Center for the Arts
- 1:30 p.m. - Magic in the Lab, 4th Floor, Johnstone Science Center
- 2 p.m. - Storytelling, Yager Hall Patio
- 3 p.m. - Men's Division I Soccer vs. University of Akron, Elmore Field
- 5:30 p.m. - Arnie Drogen, Citizen of the Year Reception ($30 per ticket/$50 per couple)
- 6 p.m. - Women's Soccer vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Elmore Field
The "Day on the Hill" celebration will culminate with a reception to honor Arnie Drogen, Owner of Drogen Electric Supply in Oneonta, who was recently named the 2012 Hartwick College Citizens Board Citizen of the Year. The award honors a member of the Greater Oneonta community for exemplary service to Hartwick College and the surrounding area.
The public is invited to attend the reception in the Foreman Gallery of the Anderson Center for the Arts to thank Drogen for his dedication to both Hartwick and Greater Oneonta. The reception will take place on Saturday, October 27 from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. and will include cocktails, heavy hors d'oeuvres and musical entertainment provided by Hartwick students and faculty under the direction of Hartwick College Assistant Professor of Music/Instructor Dr. Jason Leo Curley.
A Trustee of Hartwick College and a longtime supporter of the arts, Drogen is chair of the effort to raise $1.55 million to make important physical improvements to the Anderson Center. In tribute, Hartwick College Citizens Board volunteers seek to raise $180,000 to renovate the main lobby of Anderson Center and name it the Arnold M. Drogen Lobby. Gifts in honor of Arnie will be utilized to make these renovations a reality and name the space in his honor. Gifts of $1,000 or more will be listed prominently on a planned donor wall in the Drogen Lobby, calling attention to those who fulfill Arnie's desire to help Hartwick renovate this important space, which enables Hartwick's students and members of the community to pursue their passion for music, theatre, and visual art.
Drogen's commitment to the Oneonta community is exemplary; he has served as a board member for numerous organizations including The Friends of Bassett Healthcare, Orpheus Theatre, and Foothills Performing Arts Center. Arnie serves as a trustee of the SYDA Foundation in South Fallsburg, N.Y. He is also a major supporter of Springbrook, Catskill Area Hospice and many other area not-for-profits.
For more information and/or to register for any of above events, or to make a gift, contact Carrie Rosengren in the Office of Alumni Relations at 607-431-4064 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hartwick College is a private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,500 students, located in Oneonta, NY, in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick's expansive curriculum emphasizes a uniquely experiential approach to the liberal arts. Through personalized teaching, collaborative research, a unique January Term, a wide range of internships, and vast study-abroad opportunities, Hartwick ensures that students are prepared for the world ahead. A Three-Year Bachelor's Degree Program and strong financial aid and scholarship offerings keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Contact: Valerie Capullo