Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Events To Be Held at HartwickJanuary 14, 2014
The Hartwick College community will soon provide several opportunities to honor and celebrate The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. To accompany Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday January 20, Hartwick College will host its own series of events to remember the influential leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
"I look forward to engaging in the complement of offerings celebrating The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and our 2014 African American History Month theme, 'Civil Rights in America' at Hartwick College," said Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Meg Nowak. "The activities are a strong representation of student, faculty, and staff collaborations."
A tentative schedule of these events, which are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted, include:
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the lobby of the Library, Yager Hall - DVD, "The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King: I Have a Dream"
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the U.S. Pluralism Center, 101 Bresee Hall - Opening of The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. & Civil Rights Exhibit. This exhibit will also commemorate the 2014 African American History Month theme, "Civil Rights in America," and will include for the first time original items regarding the African American Civil Rights Journalist Alice Dunnigan and magazine issues of the 1960s. For the first time, paintings will be exhibited of leading personalities of the abolitionist movement who advocated for the ending of slavery and for civil rights during the 1800s. Such personalities include Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass, Dred Scott, Ayuba Suleiman Diallo, and several others. These items are being shared via the privately-owned Matthews Collection.
Monday, January 20, 2014
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the lobby of the Library, Yager Hall - DVD, "Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Movement"
- 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. outside the Commons in Dewar Hall - Civil Rights Quiz Game
- 1 - 1:45 p.m. on the Hartwick College campus - The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Day Admissions program for visiting students; power point presentation by Matthews connecting Hartwick College to the early fight for freedom and Civil Rights. This event is open to prospective students and their families
- 5 - 7 p.m., Chesebro Room, Dewar Student Union - The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dinner Discussion sponsored by PALS. While this event is free and open to the public, reserved seating is limited and advance registration is required
To learn more about any of the commemorative events listed above, contact Associate Dean and Director of U.S. Pluralism Programs Harry Matthews at 607-431-4428 or at email@example.com.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hartwick College is a private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,500 students, located in Oneonta, NY, in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick's expansive curriculum emphasizes an experiential approach to the liberal arts. Through personalized teaching, collaborative research, a distinctive January Term, a wide range of internships, and vast study-abroad opportunities, Hartwick ensures that students are prepared for not just their first jobs, but for the world ahead. A Three-Year Bachelor's Degree Program and strong financial aid and scholarship offerings keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Contact: Valerie Capullo