NEWS & EVENTS
Hartwick Opens Governance Paper Competition for StudentsSeptember 23, 2010
All Hartwick students are invited to apply to participate in the Inaugural Stephen L. Green American Governance Paper Competition with prizes totaling $5,000. Selected student participants will be invited to New York City to meet the award sponsor, Hartwick Alumnus Stephen Green '59, and compete for substantial awards by writing a research paper, 12-15 double-spaced pages, that addresses the following problem statement:
Problem Statement: While there is a large and growing consensus worldwide that democracy is the best system of governance, many critics believe that our government is broken. What are the five most important ways America can improve its democracy?
The author of the top paper will be recognized with a $2,000 cash prize named the Stephen L. Green American Governance Award. Second and third runners-up will each be awarded a $1,000 cash prize, and fourth and fifth runners-up will each be awarded a $500 cash prize. Student awards will be announced at Honors Convocation. Winning students will present their work as part of the Student Scholarship Showcase.
Competition timeline and details:
- Students interested in participating in the competition will fill out the proposal form and return it via e-mail and hard copy to Associate Professor of Political Science Laurel Elder before 5 p.m. on October 1. A faculty panel composed of Professors Elder, Vanderlaan, and Voorhees will select the competition participants based on the proposal and overall academic record.
- All selected participants will travel to New York City for a meeting with Green and others of his choosing on Wednesday, October 27, 2010.
- Students must work with one of more faculty advisors as they construct and improve their papers.
- Papers should draw from a variety of academic and non-academic sources. All sources need to be properly cited throughout the paper and listed in an attached bibliography.
- Final papers are due to Elder by February 15, 2011.
- Faculty will review, rate, and recommend winners. Green will make the award to the winners at the Student Scholar Showcase in May 2011.
For additional information, contact Elder at 607-431-4887 or email@example.com.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hartwick College is a private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,500 students, located in Oneonta, NY, in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick's expansive curriculum emphasizes a uniquely experiential approach to the liberal arts. Through personalized teaching, collaborative research, a unique January Term, a wide range of internships, and vast study-abroad opportunities, Hartwick ensures that students are prepared for the world ahead. A Three-Year Bachelor's Degree Program and strong financial aid and scholarship offerings keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Contact: Christopher Lott