NEWS & EVENTS
Hartwick To Kick Off Welcome Weekend For New StudentsAugust 27, 2012
For new students, their Hartwick College experience will begin this Thursday, August 30. As they move in, they will see new sights, make new friends, and begin taking part in an assortment of Welcome Weekend activities.
First-year and other new students living on campus will begin check-in on Thursday morning as they move into residence halls, attend orientations, and participate in activities and events designed to acclimate them to the college environment. Residential students will settle in before a complimentary lunch is offered to students and their families on Frisbee Field. Commuter students will be welcomed to customized meetings later the same day.
The festivities will continue into Friday and throughout the weekend as well. Opening Convocation will mark the beginning of the new academic experience, and will be held at 3:30 on Friday afternoon. The ceremony will include a procession of new students, faculty, staff and administrators in full academic regalia, and remarks by Assistant Professor of Chemistry Dr. Andrew Piefer and Hartwick College President Dr. Margaret L. Drugovich. Families and friends are welcomed to attend this time-honored tradition.
Other fun highlights of Welcome Weekend include:
- Comedian: Michael Dean Ester - 9 p.m. Thursday, Slade Theatre, Yager Hall
- Vegas at 'Wick Casino Night & Dance Party - 9 p.m. Friday, Stack Lounge, Dewar Union
- Hartwick Women's Soccer - 4 p.m. Saturday, Elmore Field
- Global Dance Party - 9 p.m. Saturday, Frisbee Field
- Slice of Oneonta Pizza Fest - 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Dewar Union, Stack Lounge
- Outdoor Movie: The Hunger Games - 9 p.m. Sunday, Frisbee Field
- OozeFest: Mud Volleyball Tournament - 1 p.m. Monday, Hilltop/Oyaron Volleyball Court
- Illusionist: Leon Etienne - 7:30 p.m. Monday, Slade Theatre, Yager Hall
The full tentative schedule of events, which includes important academic and technology sessions, as well as 'Wick 101 classes, can be downloaded here.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hartwick College is a private liberal arts and sciences college of 1,500 students, located in Oneonta, NY, in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick's expansive curriculum emphasizes a uniquely experiential approach to the liberal arts. Through personalized teaching, collaborative research, a unique January Term, a wide range of internships, and vast study-abroad opportunities, Hartwick ensures that students are prepared for the world ahead. A Three-Year Bachelor's Degree Program and strong financial aid and scholarship offerings keep a Hartwick education affordable.
Contact: Valerie Capullo