Craft Your Future With Real-World Experience
Student Laboratory Technicians
The Center for Craft Food & Beverage quality testing laboratory offers employment opportunities for biology and chemistry work-study students. The lab offers fee-for-service product quality testing to New York craft food and beverage producers on a cost-recovered basis. Students working in the lab are trained in the techniques used in the industry, helping them to relate the classroom experience to the workplace more effectively.
Hartwick students in many different disciplines are engaged in providing technical support, problem solving and participating in collaborative research with industry and faculty members. Examples of recent research projects include:
- Economic feasibility study of hop cultivation in New York state
- Analysis of the results of a survey of Otsego County farms
- Development of a chromatographic method for determination of volilile aroma compounds in beer
- Study of microbial communities in humulus lupulus cones
- Next Generation DNA sequencing
Partnerships with local businesses and organizations in the craft food and beverage industry create opportunities for internships for Hartwick students. Recent examples include:
- Microbiology major placed with Brewery Ommegang to work in their quality assurance laboratory.
- Business major placed with Northern Eagle Beverages/Cooperstown Brewing Company to gain experience with a regional beverage company transitioning into new market operations.