Opportunities for students in the Environment, Sustainability & Society (ES&S) major include off-campus courses, directed and independent studies, conferences, and summer research. J Term off-campus courses, in particular, offer unique and valuable opportunities for students interested in environmental issues, and include studies in Arizona, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Madagascar, and Peru.
Internships & Projects
We also have internship opportunities that introduce students to careers. Internship opportunities include projects working with municipal governments to reduce GHG emissions, conservation projects with local non-profits, work with local organic farmers; projects in local state parks, and many more.
4+1 Programs in Sustainability
Hartwick College has developed a bachelor’s/master’s degree articulation agreement with Glasgow Caledonian New York College (GCNYC). The agreement allows students to earn a bachelor’s from Hartwick in four years and a Master of Science in Business for Social Impact and Sustainability or a Master of Science in Sustainable Fashion in one year of intensive study.
Hartwick offers a dual degree program that allows students to develop a specialty in sustainability. The articulation agreement provides multiple opportunities for Hartwick students to enroll in a fast-tracked master’s program that can be completed in one year.
Benefits of Hartwick’s GCNYC partnership include:
- Streamlined application process – application fee waiver and one letter of reference.
- Hartwick seniors with a GPA of at least 3.0 are eligible to complete an online GCNYC course tuition-free (a $4089 value). Course credit will be applied to either the Master of Science in Business for Social Impact and Sustainability or the Master of Science in Sustainable Fashion program upon matriculation.
- Hartwick graduates will receive substantial scholarships:
- Those with a 3.5 GPA or higher at Hartwick receive a scholarship of $10,000 and a graduate assistantship of $3,000 with GCNYC’s Center for Social Impact & Innovation.
- Those graduating with a GPA of 3.0 – 3.49 at Hartwick receive a scholarship of $7,500 and a graduate assistantship of $3,000 with GCNYC’s Center for Social Impact & Innovation.
ES&S Job Opportunities
Graduate program advising and career services are available through Hartwick’s Office of Career Development. Our ES&S major prepares our graduates for many new and exciting “green jobs”.