First-Year Course Planning FAQs

Q: What if I don’t like some of my courses (or when they meet)?
A: Schedules have been written taking into account a student’s general education and major requirements, the preferences that students expressed on their Academic Course Planner, athletic schedules and availability of courses. However, it may be possible to change courses, or to change to a different meeting time.

Q: How do I change my schedule?
A: Students may request changes by contacting the Advising Office at or during their required Academic Advising Session at Welcome Weekend.

Q: Why have I been scheduled for a FYS class that was not one of my top three choices.
A: Some FYS choices conflict with particular major required courses and/or athletic team schedules. Every effort was made to accommodate requests, but some choices are not possible.

Q: Why don’t I have any math or science courses?
A: Students were only enrolled in math or science courses in their first term if required by their major. Not all students are required to take math or science courses during their first term. If a student thinks they should be taking math, they should contact the Advising Office at, or make a change during the Welcome Weekend Academic Advising session.

Q: How do I change my major?
A: Students may make changes to their major over the summer by informing the Advising Office in the Center for Student Success. The best way is to email with your name, current major, which major you wish to change to and a phone number where you can be contacted. Changes can also be made during the Welcome Weekend Academic Advising session, or any time during the Fall Term.

Q: Have my transfer credits been received? What do I do if they haven’t?
A: To view how transfer and/or AP credits have been applied to your record, follow these steps after you have logged in to WebAdvisor:

  • Click Program Evaluation/Degree Audit under Academic Profile. You will see your active program.
  • Click the checkbox for your active program.
  • Click Submit to view your Program Evaluation/Degree Audit.
  • Transfer/AP credit will be listed on your audit with a grade of ‘CR’ and a notation of ‘*TE’ next to the course under the Notes heading. Questions about transfer credit should be directed to the Registrar’s Office at or by calling (607) 431-4460.
  • If you do not see the transfer credits that you expect, made sure that you have requested that your official transcripts have been sent by the Registrar of the college or university that issued the credit. All transcripts must be sent to Registrar’s Office, Hartwick College, 1 Hartwick Drive, Bresse Hall; Oneonta, NY 13820.

Q: My schedule conflicts with my athletic team practice time. What do I do?
A: Every effort has been made to free up athletes in fall sports by 4 p.m. However, certain majors (especially science and double majors) have no choice but to offer labs and studio time in the early afternoon. Please contact your coach to consult them on your best options and then get back in touch with academic support staff at

Q: Why must I take a writing course (i.e. I already have taken one, I have AP credit, etc.)?
A: All Hartwick students must complete our writing competency program regardless of earned credit in other writing courses or AP. Completion of the Writing Placement (during Welcome Weekend) allows us to make sure we’ve placed you at the right writing level.

Q: Is 12 credits (or 4 courses) enough for my first term? How may credits is a normal load?
A: Yes, 12 credits is a full time load. Some students choose to take more credits, but the recommended credit load for the fall term is 12-14. Remember, that J term is a time to earn another 3 or 4 credits, which when added to a 12-16 credit spring term = at least 30 credits for the first year. 30 credits a year for 4 years = 120 credits for degree completion.

Q: Where do I order my textbooks?
A: Students may use the Hartwick College Bookstore webpage to look up required textbooks, prices and to order textbooks, or they may simply visit the bookstore when on campus to buy their textbooks. Of course students are also permitted to order their textbooks from alternative online retailers. Visit the Hartwick College Bookstore.

Q: Whom do I contact if I still have questions?
A: Questions related to your major or schedule should be emailed to

More Information:

Back To Top